LC Valve clearances

Post your Hexhead (watercooled) technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Dagda
Forum User

LC Valve clearances

Postby Dagda » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Just purchased a 2013 R1200GS TE LC. Needs a service which is not an issue and I know someone with a gs-911 so can do the diagnostics and reset the service indicators. Haven't checked the valve clearances yet 12k service but reading the manual seems to be reasonably straight forward. Has anyone done their own yet and are the shims the standard 7mm ones or particular to BMW. If they need doing it looks like I would need to do side at a time go and get shims [if needed] then do the same all over again for the other side as you can only do one set at a time. So has anyone done their own yet or are the bikes too new and everyone goes to BMW. Any intrepid explorers among you who has braved this mechanical exercise :grin:
"THINK" It's not illegal yet.

gogs01
Club Member 12
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: LC Valve clearances

Postby gogs01 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:08 pm

I've never been in to look at valve clearances, but I wonder how many miles your bike has done ?
Some bikes can do a huge amount of miles before re-shimming becomes necessary, so you may not have to worry about the process for some time yet. 😊
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”