Auxiliary lights where to connect them

Post your Hexhead (watercooled) technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Dagda
Forum User

Auxiliary lights where to connect them

Postby Dagda » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:51 pm

So I bought some new Aux lights Givi ones to fit to the LC. To those who have done them themselves where have you connected them so the canbus system doesn't turn them off? Switched relay from the battery to brake light wiring perhaps or some other clever means of bypassing the canbus.
"THINK" It's not illegal yet.

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Re: Auxiliary lights where to connect them

Postby kent_instructor10 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:19 pm

I have just done the same job with bmw lights but put my own wiring in rather than buy a full bmw loom. My bike is not a watercooled but a twin cam, but i suppose the same principle would work.

I powered the handlebar on off switch from the front side light +ve (went into loom near headlight). This operates a relay to carry the load. Ive put a new cable in direct from battery via inline 7.5A fuse to the relay and for the earths.

All works well, no canbus issues.

Im not familiar with the lc wiring, but hope this helps in some way.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

Dagda
Forum User

Re: Auxiliary lights where to connect them

Postby Dagda » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks, got it sorted found a switched live going to the tail light and used this as the live for the relay. All wired up and ready for those dark knights
"THINK" It's not illegal yet.

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”