Insurance Company Madness

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Insurance Company Madness

Postby kent_instructor10 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 pm

A new one on me tonight...

Three weeks ago step daughter insures her 125 following cbt via an online comparison site then onto the providers site. All set up, paid for in full. All good. You'd think...

Today she gets an e mail stating that they have refunded her payment in full, no explanation. So she phones insurance company to be told that there was a problem with the online form, they dont know what problem was though. They apparently phoned once but because they got no reply they cancelled the policy. Today was the first clue she had that she was uninsured. Bearing in mind they had her e mail address but didnt inform her that she was uninsured.

Of course had she been stopped im sure the police would have been sympathetic? No, it would have been 6 points, £300 fine, bike seized plus costs and through no fault of her own.

Naturally a complaint was made immediately as this was a serious situation, and the insurer contacted the underwriter to be told that the problem was that the registration number ended with an 'M'. I advised them that all it meant was that the bike was first registered in Bedfordshire. They couldnt explain why this was a problem, but apparently all the underwriters but one said the same. But they could offer one policy with an annual premium of £4000. Not bad for a £500 16 year old 125!!

I have never known anything like it in 32 years of motorised transport. If i read a post like this i would think that there must be more to it, but no, she was left uninsured with a ridiculous excuse as to why. I despair.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Insurance Company Madness

Postby milleplod » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 pm

I think I'd be taking that a lot higher up the food-chain!

From the Financial Ombudsman's website -

Some people tell us their insurer has cancelled their car insurance policy without any notice - or sometimes without telling them at all. They might find this out when they try to make a claim - or even when they’re stopped by the police.

Insurers set terms and conditions about when and how their policies can be cancelled. We’ll check how clearly the insurer explained these when their customer took out the policy - including whether they specifically highlighted any unusual terms and conditions.
We’ll also check the insurer has applied their terms and conditions fairly. We’ll ask the insurer why they cancelled the policy - and weigh up whether this was fair and reasonable in the individual circumstances.
For example, we might agree it’s fair for a policy to be cancelled if someone had knowingly not paid their premiums - or hadn’t told the insurer important information, that would have meant the insurer wouldn’t cover them. For more information, see our approach to giving the wrong information when buying insurance.
On the other hand, in certain situations we might decide it’s unfair to cancel a policy - and tell the insurer to put it back in place. For example, we might find someone’s only missed one payment. Or that they’ve made an honest mistake in what they told the insurer - which wouldn’t have affected the insurer’s decision to cover them.
We’ll check that the insurer gave enough notice that they were going to cancel the policy - so their customer had enough time to arrange new insurance. We think that’s at least seven days.
Some people tell us they didn’t hear from their insurer at all. Insurers aren’t required to phone their customers - unless their customer has asked them to. But we’ll check they’ve sent written notice by letter or email.
Given the serious consequences of driving without insurance, we’ll check that the insurer took reasonable steps to make sure their customer knew their policy has been cancelled. If not - and someone experienced upset or inconvenience as a result - we might tell the insurer to pay compensation.

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:48 pm

A new one on me tonight...

Of course had she been stopped im sure the police would have been sympathetic? No, it would have been 6 points, £300 fine, bike seized plus costs and through no fault of her own.

I have never known anything like it in 32 years of motorised transport.
I had a fairly similar case some years ago.
A car driver, (radio reporter) was pulled for driving without insurance. He appeared in court and the explanation was that he had notified the insurer that he had gone for a new job and because they wouldn't cover journalists they cancelled his monthly payments and policy. He had by then moved to a new address and his mail didn't reach him in time.
He could only plead guilty to the charge - he didn't have cover - he was fined £5 without any points being imposed. My decision didn't go down too well with some, but common sense has to prevail now and again.

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: UK

Postby boxerman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Well done, Bill.
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Although there's no defence to a 'no insurance' charge, it being an 'absolute' offence, a driver can argue that there are special reasons for the offence having been committed, which can be used to mitigate any sentence handed down.

This is copied from elsewhere -

In order to use the plea of special reasons the following four factors must exist:
1. The circumstance which caused you to drive without insurance must be mitigating or extenuating. Extenuating circumstances is a legal term describing situations involving family, medical or personal issues, as well as extraordinary circumstances that cause the defendant to act in a way that makes the crime they committed less serious or without criminal intent.
2. It cannot amount to a legal defence
3. The circumstance must be directly correlated with the defence; and
4. It must be a circumstance in which it would be wrong for the court not to take into consideration when considering sentencing.

I've highlighted the bit that I think might have applied in this case. At the end of the day, its down to the Court on the day, but I think in the circumstances described, although there'd have to be a conviction, there'd be no points awarded and only a nominal fine. Oh, that presupposes the theoretical roadside ticket wasn't paid and the option to go to court was taken instead!

Pete
'L'enfer, c'est les autres'.

IanG
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby IanG » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 am

Naturally a complaint was made immediately as this was a serious situation, and the insurer contacted the underwriter to be told that the problem was that the registration number ended with an 'M'. I advised them that all it meant was that the bike was first registered in Bedfordshire. They couldnt explain why this was a problem, but apparently all the underwriters but one said the same. But they could offer one policy with an annual premium of £4000. Not bad for a £500 16 year old 125!!

I have never known anything like it in 32 years of motorised transport. If i read a post like this i would think that there must be more to it, but no, she was left uninsured with a ridiculous excuse as to why. I despair.
That is mind boggling. What's so different about ending in an M??

Ian
1983 R100
1955 Norton ES2
1972 Norton Commando
2001 Honda VFR800
19** Understanding wife

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 am

I tried to set up some new car insurance via a online comparison site. Went through all the pages and got to the payment section and it would not accept my card details. It kept saying " try tomorrow" which I did, and it still would not work. I rang them up and the reason it would not accept my payment was that I have never been with that company before??? I came back with " then why is your company on the online comparison site then".
They stated that they like to talk to the persons first to register them on their system. I told them to stuff it!!!
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I tried to set up some new car insurance via a online comparison site. Went through all the pages and got to the payment section and it would not accept my card details. It kept saying " try tomorrow" which I did, and it still would not work. I rang them up and the reason it would not accept my payment was that I have never been with that company before??? I came back with " then why is your company on the online comparison site then".
They stated that they like to talk to the persons first to register them on their system. I told them to stuff it!!!
Perhaps it was a Chinese counterfeit insurance company? :bounce:

I'm already out..... :wave:
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W65L "Twin with a kick"

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Perhaps it was a Chinese counterfeit insurance company? :bounce:

I'm already out..... :wave:
It was a company named after a town on the south coast.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

andyb
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

Postby andyb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 pm

At least she had a few days ‘free’ insurance.....no wonder there are uninsured drivers /riders out there.
I hope things work out satisfactorily longterm
Andyb
R100R work-day-bike
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone fun-day-bike

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks for your comments and advice, much appreciated. We didnt hear any more from the insurance company and are now sensibly insured with another company. I suppose thats the price you pay for using a company that names itself after an Australian animals nickname.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”