K13GT hesitant starting

Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

K13GT hesitant starting

Postby Andrew » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:21 am

This is a new issue that started on a trip to Devon last weekend. When the bike stalls at the lights (a common enough issue on a K13 when it gets hot) the starter hesitates on the button. There is nothing for 2 or 3 seconds (sinking feeling) then the starter motor bursts into life and starts as if there is nothing at all wrong. Relay? Solenoid? Switch? Battery? Bad connection?
BMW K1300GT, Sunbeam S8, Ariel VH

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: K13GT hesitant starting

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 am

Could be all you mention plus the Starter Motor.

Start by disconnecting the battery and clean the battery terminals and the cable terminals to bright metal before reconnecting.

Next, look at where the battery negative terminal is connected to earth on the engine/gearbox.
Disconnect this earth lead at the engine/gearbox and clean the earthing area and the lead terminal to bright metal before reconnecting.

This will give you a good basis should any further diagnostics be required.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:34 am

2 to 3 seconds seems very long

That bike is canbus so is very "safe" and really should perform the starting checks much quicker

Have you tried a "booster" plug or accelerator module ???

They clip inline to the air temp sensor on the airbox and do help to smooth out the rubbish fuelling when hot!

The better option is to spend the money and get it properly programmed @Hilltop Motorcycles not cheap ...BUt against a burnt valve or worse Good value for money

Sadly I would very much love to have it done on my bike but I need a return ferry and accommodation which drives the price up further
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby raesewell » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:58 pm

It is a known issue called the hot start problem. Tell your dealer and he should fit and extra loom from the battery to the starter and he should do this for free.

Andrew
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 am

The problem is now solved. It turned out to be two different faults. There was a problem with the oxygen sensor in the exhaust system. That was what was causing the stalling at junctions. I have had a Booster Plug fitted for a couple of years, which I fitted after a particularly "exciting" trip to the Alps. A hesitant throttle on the apex of a very steep hairpin bend, while carrying a pillion and three week's worth of luggage, does not make for a relaxing ride. The constant threat (and occasional occurrence) of stalling at particularly awkward moments doesn't add much to the pleasure either. Ironically, the Booster Plug could well have been the cause of the failure of the oxygen sensor, since they are particularly sensitive to unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

The other problem was the constant threat of overheating, which came to a head during a recent trip around Europe, during which the ambient temperature was in the high thirties for several days and hit 40 degrees C on two occasions. The temperature warning light came on several times during those days and the radiator boiled three times. Refilling the radiator on a fully loaded bike at the road-side is not as much fun as it sounds. The mountain roads and occasionally slow traffic didn't help much. Once the engine temperature rises above its acceptable range, the fuelling goes haywire, adding to the woes.

I have now bitten the bullet and bought a new radiator. The old one was partially blocked with grit and dust and I know from first-hand experience that cleaning them out is a very tedious, and only partially successful, way of spending quite a lot of time. I fixed a sheet of fine mesh in front of the stone guard, to slow down the rate at which the new radiator will get corrupted. The radiators on these bikes have marginal capacity, so it doesn't take much corruption before they become over-stretched. Tip - the mesh guard that Motorworks sells for an extortionate price is completely pointless because the mesh is much coarser than the very fine filaments in the radiator. It seems to be cosmetic only.

By the way, the problem with the early K12 with the wiring to the starter relay (and the inadequate relay itself) was resolved before they finished its production run. It was never an issue with the K13. However, you really do need a very fit battery on a K13. Starting a hot 1300cc engine with a compression ratio of 13:1 is a bit of a test, especially when the starter motor was only barely adequate for the K12. In "designing" the K13, BMW's engineers decided that they could squeeze quite a lot more power out of the K12 setup without up-rating the starter motor or the cooling system. They were wrong. In the first few weeks after I bought it, my K13 struggled to re-start if it stalled when hot. I bought a new Odyssey battery and it cured the problem completely.
BMW K1300GT, Sunbeam S8, Ariel VH

greg1863
Forum User
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby greg1863 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Yes i agree that Odyssey is the Only way to go with these bikes

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi
always good to hear the outcome of a problem

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby raesewell » Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Don't forget the cooling system has to be vacuum filled or you will get overheating problems again.

Return to “K Series Q&A's”