The Never lend your bike to a mate rebuild thread

Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Ian T
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England

Re: The Never lend your bike to a mate rebuild thread

Postby Ian T » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Wow they look fantastic a great job. I see you used rattle can 2k, that is what I think I am leaning towards. Did you spray up in a shed or somewhere or outside and how did you combat the fumes. Did you wear a mask of some sort or big gobs of air like I am used to doing a few years ago but I have never sprayed 2k.

If mine turns out like yours I will be chuffed.

Cheers

Ian
BMW K75s
Ural outfit 750
DL650

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby CaptAirhead » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Wow they look fantastic a great job. I see you used rattle can 2k, that is what I think I am leaning towards. Did you spray up in a shed or somewhere or outside and how did you combat the fumes. Did you wear a mask of some sort or big gobs of air like I am used to doing a few years ago but I have never sprayed 2k.

If mine turns out like yours I will be chuffed.

Cheers

Ian
I've converted a spare upstairs room into a workshop and used a 4" inline extractor fan ducted outside through an open window. I basically sprayed for ten minutes ( wearing a mask) then evacuated the room for a while till the fumes cleared. The fan and ducting was only around 20 quid off eBay and I bought it initially for dust extraction when sawing or using the lathe or router. For painting, I just unplugged the ducting from my home made dust collector and lobbed it out the window. Worked OK but restricted myself to doing one big or a couple of small panels at a time. I didn't give up smoking to kill myself with 2K! It only took a couple of days to do all the R80 Fairings, bodywork and tank although it took a while to do the pinstripe by hand.

This is the bike part way through the job. I've since replaced the dual seat with a Corbin Gunfighter seat to cater for the fact that I'm a short ass. I decided to leave the rear mudguard original as it was in not too bad condition. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of some of the other panels:-

Image1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police) by Ian Beat, on Flickr

A before and after:-

ImageBMW R80/7 RT Fairing lowers. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

I found that the 2K cans had a better pressure and a better spray pattern than the usual offerings so it was much easier to get a good finish. Helps if you can spray indoors in the warm.
Hope that helps and good luck with your project.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Ian T
Club Member 13

Postby Ian T » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:04 am

Thanks Ian

That is so helpful, think I have made my mind up to go that way, may I ask please was it a certain type of mask or just a normal canister type one.

It obviously worked as you are still around and I have given up smoking as well.

Cheers

Ian
BMW K75s
Ural outfit 750
DL650

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby CaptAirhead » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am

I just used a cheap half face spray paint/dust mask. You can get them off eBay for less than a tenner. You can get a full face mask for around thirty quid but the half face ones are good for small jobs like this with limited exposure. I feel better for giving up smoking but the extra pocket money has been swallowed up because I've had to buy new bike leathers due to putting on extra weight. On the up side I treated myself to a new beachcaster and reel.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Ian T
Club Member 13

Postby Ian T » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am

Ah ha a man after my own heart. I just got a 7ht mag and an afaw 6 and bait. Funny old world. Thanks for all the advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian
BMW K75s
Ural outfit 750
DL650

Ian T
Club Member 13

Postby Ian T » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 am

Well that's the arse end all off, always seem to get pulled away from playing in the garage but managed to sneak out for a little bit. Soon just be a pile of bits !!!
3D4924F4-B471-443F-B8CE-9802455FEEE0.JPG
F7CB81D2-19D5-4459-8864-8060EFC2E5B1.JPG
3A2102EC-51E9-4BE3-9700-1961CA9173AA.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BMW K75s
Ural outfit 750
DL650

Return to “K Series Q&A's”