K75c under tank fittings

Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Clockdoctor
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

K75c under tank fittings

Postby Clockdoctor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Advice needed on K75c under tank fittings please.
My recently acquired K75c has been sadly neglected by it's one previous owner. Despite it's genuine and fully documented 44k mileage, it has never been garaged in all of its 33year life, so is somewhat 'tarnished'. Before I start using it for my commute, I am working my way through the usual mechanical and electrical checks to make sure that everything is in good order.
My query is related to the two fuel tank breather stubs located beneath the tank, near to the sender unit plate. I am reasonably sure that neither of these pipes on a K75c should have a rubber hose fitted, but I do wish to know whether they vent over (or into) a plastic pot which clips to the frame rails. My bike has no such fittings, so the breather stubs vent to air directly above the wiring loom!
Should I be concerned about this? I have examined the Haynes and Clymer manuals and can only find these 'pipe and pot' fittings on other models in the K series range. RealOEM parts diagrams are not a lot of help either.
Also' should there be a sheet of heat insulating material beneath my tank? If so, it's missing, so what is the best method of replacing it?
Can anybody with a K75c out there in forum land help me with this info? :?:
Thanks.

Clockdoctor
Forum User

Re: K75c under tank fittings

Postby Clockdoctor » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Okay.............................................................
no replies (so far) to my query, perhaps a photo of the underside of my tank will help to illustrate the components in question. Any thoughts guys? :?: see original query above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krankshaft
Forum User
Country of Residence: switzerland

Postby krankshaft » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi, clockdoctor
Speaking for the k100, as far as I know, they all had heat shielding material under the tank,
and I would be slightly uncomfortable riding any K- bike without it, as it gets quite hot in there.
There is a cup under the tank, supplying a pipe to take away overflowing fuel and, again, I would
be worried if fuel was dripping on the loom and engine. Maybe you can just slip fuel lines over these pipes
and run them down to the swingarm, I think that's what I would do if the cup was missing.
Good luck with it.
Jim

Clockdoctor
Forum User

Postby Clockdoctor » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Thanks for the helpful info, Jim.
I can actually get hold of one of the plastic pots with the rubber hose attached, they appear on fleabay quite regularly for a few pounds.
I will also take your advice and attach some heat reflective sheet to the underside of the tank. Since I put up the original posting, I've managed to find some good photos on tinterweb showing what it looks like, and how it fits around the pipes and the sender plate. The mystery is, as you can probably see from my photo, the underside of my tank shows absolutely no trace of any residue where the insulation might have been fitted. The PO neglected the cosmetics of the bike so much, I just can't imagine that he would have made any effort whatsoever to clean it off??????
Anyway, I shall rectify the loss.
Cheers.
Anthony.

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:10 am

Hi
My naked 75 has the imsulation under tho 100 tank that is on it
I am a way from it ATM so can't check the pipes but even if I could there is no way what I have is correct
G
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Neil
Forum User

Postby Neil » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Hi
My K75 has never had any insulation under the tank but it probably runs slightly cooler than K100's and faired versions.
IMG_5534.JPG
Not sure if your request for under tank information meant the bike as well but here's a picture anyway.
IMG_5527.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neil
1988 K75

Clockdoctor
Forum User

Postby Clockdoctor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks Neil!
You've answered my original post exactly! :razz:
I am (almost) certain that my bike never had under tank heat insulation. I agree, it makes sense that fully-faired models would need some heat shielding because the engine heat is more confined. The 'naked' 750's like my K75c surely have better airflow allowing the hot air to vent away quicker.
As I have said, the single previous owner of my bike totally neglected ANY form of cleaning ANYWHERE, so I can't for one moment believe that he would have spent a single second cleaning off any glue residues from where the heat shielding would have been fixed under the tank.
The other query about the overflow catch cup is now also answered, thanks to your photo.
I have now bought a used cup and hose from a seller on fleabay, so can fit it in the knowledge that there should have been one there originally. Again, no idea why the PO removed this component anyway??? :-k
Thanks again.
Anthony.

Return to “K Series Q&A's”