ignition switch

Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

pmage2
Forum User
Country of Residence: wales

ignition switch

Postby pmage2 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 am

Hi all , the bike is a k1200rs year 2000 it been under covers for the winter took it for a quick spin going up the road it cut out give the key a wiggle it came back to life this happened a few times any thoughts ? yours paul

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: ignition switch

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Seems likely that the switch mechanism has got some dirt in it... it may be worth getting some switch cleaner and spraying it into the switch. Do use proper switch cleaner, not WD40 or a similar water dispersant as they leave a residue and, although they may seem to do the trick, you may well find yourself worse off down the line...

Failing that, I've never had much luck dismantling and repairing ignition switches... so you're probably looking at a new switch...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi
is the ignition key the only one on the ring? If not the wight can vibrate the switch to a NOT ON position

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

pmage2
Forum User

Postby pmage2 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:42 pm

Seems likely that the switch mechanism has got some dirt in it... it may be worth getting some switch cleaner and spraying it into the switch. Do use proper switch cleaner, not WD40 or a similar water dispersant as they leave a residue and, although they may seem to do the trick, you may well find yourself worse off down the line...

Failing that, I've never had much luck dismantling and repairing ignition switches... so you're probably looking at a new switch...

Rob
Thanks rob ,got a second hand switch with 10,ooo miles on it got the bottom bit of the switch of by undoing the grub screw the top bit where the key goes will be okay me thinks? not sure how the top bit comes of yours paul

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:41 am

Rob
Thanks rob ,got a second hand switch with 10,ooo miles on it got the bottom bit of the switch of by undoing the grub screw the top bit where the key goes will be okay me thinks? not sure how the top bit comes of yours paul
You're lucky then, on the airheads, the switch is all one piece and very difficult to dismantle...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Rob
yep but easy to jumper out as I discovered when I lost my keys onetime

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Absolutely... but don't tell everyone...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

pmage2
Forum User

Postby pmage2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi rob put new switch on all working okay them tried to put all the wires back in the connector box the fuel gauge and temp gauge went haywire showing full and the fuel gauge the same its so tight in there need a couple of hours on it what a pig at least its starts okay yours paul

Return to “K Series Q&A's”