ABS warning lights

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

dave c
Forum User
Country of Residence: england

ABS warning lights

Postby dave c » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Now my bike is running properly again after the throttle body cable problem, the other thing that needs attention is the ABS the lights are flashing all the time, now it says in the owner booklet this can be caused by a poor battery and i have just fitted a new one that needs a good ride to charge up. If this persists is there any easy checks i can do or any particular part that needs attention on this system. cheers Dave.

Jimniven
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: ABS warning lights

Postby Jimniven » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm

My 93 RS1100 flashes on start up then if you switch off and restart after warm no lights. I believe these lights are infamous for being temperamental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 pm

My 93 RS1100 flashes on start up then if you switch off and restart after warm no lights. I believe these lights are infamous for being temperamental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ditto with my 1100RS
I get alternate blinking on cold start.
When I get to the T junction at the top of my road, I switch the ignition off and back on again and it's fine, and usually stays that way until the bike isn't used for a couple of days.
If you want to be sure take it into a BMW dealer and get them to run a diagnostic.
I had mine done a couple of years ago and it was £25, but it was inconclusive.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi DaveC
what bike?
George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Okay the basics If it is ABS II basically all oilheads were fitted with ABS II until the arrival of the dreaded Servo ABS

When you fit a battery to the earlier 1100 and 850 models, A reset is required and is very simple

Locate the flat 3 pin plug under the seat that is clipped into a blue holder Clean a length of wire and fit it securely to the centre pin and ground it to a good earth on the frame Switch on Ign and when lights start flashing press and hold the ABS button down for about 30 seconds then release it and switch off the ign
(N.B. The flashing should stop when the button is pushed and one RED lamp remains lit If it deosn;t you may have a corroded connection on the ABS switch

Count to 10 and When you switch on the ign again the lights should flash on and off together

If you lamps flashing together when you switch on the ignition? Then you have no fault codes!

However If the flash alternately on switch on and a reset does not cure them YOu have a fault code that needs checked Hopefully just the rear sensor problem (Why they ever though that the wire would cope with that amount of bending they were fools!)

Anyway On switch on :-

Lamps flash Together NO FAULTS

Lamps Alternate Fault stored! OR you have fitted a new battery or reconnected its own or charged a completely flat battery up It requires a reset to be carried out

Lamps ONLY flash alternately when you press the starter There is an Excess current draw taking place and the ABS notes a low voltage fault and logs it and the lamps flash alternately

Starters are famous for needing a clear out and occasionally the grease plate fall out and shorts the armature causing the excess draw

I do a mod which uses the Load side of the load shedding relay to switch a relay, which intersects a wire on the ABS unit
When you press the starter button the relay disconnects the ABS link and you get one lamp on the dash and then when you release the button (hopefully the engine is running) the volts are up and the system self checks itself with the alternator charging so the fault should never appear again!
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

dave c
Forum User

Postby dave c » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 pm

George for your in-fo its a r1100r 2000 model and jaythro are you a walking encyclopaedia of BMW knowledge, just staggered at your knowledge of these bikes. Dave.

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Thank you Sir I made my living for quite a few years working on Oil heads and K Bricks, with an occasional airhead thrown in

I feel its always better to share knowledge that folks don;t get led astray by ruthless individuals to part with their money

I just heard of someone that paid £1250 for a complete clutch replacement on a 1200GSA today :shock: Need I say more?
George for your in-fo its a r1100r 2000 model and jaythro are you a walking encyclopaedia of BMW knowledge, just staggered at your knowledge of these bikes. Dave.
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:51 pm

I just heard of someone that paid £1250 for a complete clutch replacement on a 1200GSA today :shock: Need I say more?
So out of interest, what is a reasonable price to pay for this job.
It's something I've always lived in constant fear of with BMW's
:oops:

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Pricing around plus a good independent with good reviews is sensible

I am not the same as everyone out there and I am happy with high cost items to offer whoever is looking the repair a used part Many of the written off bikes are Very low mileage and their clutches are good

So an 1150GS Plus a clutch slave cylinder and not including other issues £400 to £550

1200 Hexheads are a bit more labour intensive so Possibly plus £50 to £100 to the above

Your 1200CL has a bit more stripping Andy but is not the worst to do (Probably R1100S is worst :( )

Might be an idea to get your steed well heated up on an run and to crack and remove clean threads and re torque the bolts of your bike's subframe etc

Trust me on this! :O

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Might be an idea to get your steed well heated up on an run and to crack and remove clean threads and re torque the bolts of your bike's subframe etc

Trust me on this! :O
Well I recently removed the header pipes and didn't have any seized studs, so I'm hopeful she should come apart easily.

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Well I recently removed the header pipes and didn't have any seized studs, so I'm hopeful she should come apart easily.
Steel on Steel Old bean, Its the steel (albeit semi treated) bolts, into the alloy of the engine block that need freeing off and treating with an anti seize and the front cover bolts are also hellish for it

I use this stuff I have just stripped a bike that I worked on 12 years ago and it all came apart Its only done 2000 miles but it has lain up unused for most of it

http://cyclo.com/cyclo_product/anti-seize/ "C682"

dave c
Forum User

Postby dave c » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:57 am

I now see why you have so much knowledge jaythro your an ex mechanic, my brother is an ex bike mechanic but rarely worked on BMW's .
Talking of clutches i had a r1150rs a while back, I bought it with the clutch gone but when i stripped it down it was the splines on the gearbox input shaft that had rounded off, I am told its a common problem, one that BMW are not admitting to. managed to pick up a good second hand shaft from James Sherlock and a disc on ebay did the whole job for about £150 plus i fitted a spacer on the disc so as it fitted further on the shaft. was quite chuffed with my job. tried to upload a picture but file was too large.

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:08 pm

.....tried to upload a picture but file was too large.

Posting Photos:

METHOD 1:
Using the Forum 'Upload Attachment' method you are limited to uploading a picture of not more than 1200 x 1200 pixels max dimensions, 250Kbytes max file size.
Any problems will be advised when you try it. You can then add up to three pictures/post.

Here's how:
1. Go to 'Full Editor & Preview'.
2. Scroll down and select 'Attachments' tab.
3. Select 'Add files' and browse for your picture (max 1200x1200 pixels and 250Kb filesize).
4. Add any 'File Comments' to be attached to the pic.
5. Place your cursor in the post where you want the pic to be located.
6. Select 'Place Inline'.
7. Repeat from (2) above for up to a total of three pics/post.
8. Select 'Submit'.

FILE TOO LARGE?
If your pics are too big (> 1200x1200 pixels and 250Kb filesize), see the following depending on the device you are using:

Windows:
If you have Windows 10, you can download the Windows Store App 'Image Resize' which allows you to resize an image file directly in Windows File Explorer without opening the file. Just highlight the file to be resized, Right-Click, select 'Open With', select 'Image Resize'.

Alternatively, use Windows Paint (tabs Home/Resize) which allows you to resize a pic and save it under a different filename
e.g. 'existing filename'_ small.

iPad/iPhone:
For iPad/iPhone photo resize, go to the App Store and download a free Photo Resize App such as 'Simple Resize':

Mac:
For Mac photo resize go to the Preview application where there is a resize function.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

dave c
Forum User

Postby dave c » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 pm

OK guys went for a run on the bike last night and charged the battery up, stopped for a drink in a country pub and hey presto when i set off again ABS lights have gone off, so it was just a low voltage problem. speedo still not working have now found the little tang that sticks out of the drive has snapped off so i need to buy a new speedo drive.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:53 pm

I was once told that a faulty speed sensor can cause ABS to go into fault mode.

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:53 pm

I was once told that a faulty speed sensor can cause ABS to go into fault mode.

...or an incorrect speed sensor/tone wheel gap!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

David
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Postby David » Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 am

Hi I,m David fron South/East Queensland Aus, and have just joined. I ride a1997 R1100RT and am having Abs light problems as mentioned above. Have checked and ruled out wheel sensors, starter and battery (13.2v). Jaythro your mod looks to be my best option, is it the wire from battery +to pin 14 Abs control unit that is intersected?.
I do a mod which uses the Load side of the load shedding relay to switch a relay, which intersects a wire on the ABS unit
When you press the starter button the relay disconnects the ABS link and you get one lamp on the dash and then when you release the button (hopefully the engine is running) the volts are up and the system self checks itself with the alternator charging so the fault should never appear again!
Last edited by David on Fri May 25, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Tue May 22, 2018 7:40 pm

I've had this ABS problem on my R11000RT since I bought it last year, & as with
people it clears after a short ride & restart. Last week the starter gave a loud
clunk & stopped. It did work afterwards & started the bike, but new starter bought
& fitted, & I now have operational ABS from the first press of the button. I can only
assume the starter was taking a lot more power to turn over than the new one does.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Tue May 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Wow.
Interesting.
I wonder how many people have either disabled or removed the abs when it could have been something as simple as that.

David
Forum User

Postby David » Fri May 25, 2018 5:59 am

Dismantled, cleaned and reinstalled the starter, all looked good, brushes were 14mm so probably not to old. Warning lights still on after initial start up. decided to do the mod as stated by Jaythro and now ABS is working every time. There seems to be a lot of Tips and Info on this site so thanks to all for received. Here is a diagram for anyone wanting to do the same mod. :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Sat May 26, 2018 1:05 pm

G'day David that's an interesting angle of approach

I usually cut the green wire terminal 15 (Now verified) in the ABS connector at the unit and lead a twin wire back to the fusebox where I bridge it across a relay

I then switch the relay with the +ve from the load side of the Load shedding relay

The only difference really from Your method to my Method is that there is a lot light lighter "load" across the relay the way I do it

Ced may well be able to give us a much better load calculation if a 30 amp relay is sufficient ? Those ABS pressure relief motors etc do draw considerable current when activated

This is the original post that I based my mod on, But I disliked the idea of giving the Alternator Exciter voltages an alternative path (Blue Wire) so I substitued the Downstream side of the load relief relay as my preferred option

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Sat May 26, 2018 1:09 pm

A most worthy Mod for the R1100 and R850 is the "run with side stand down mod!"

geordiecarpenter
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby geordiecarpenter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi Jaythro. Would this mod work on a R 1150 RT 2004, as I have the same problem with the ABS lights. As they are either both off or both on, I've taken the relay out just to stop the top light from flashing and clicking all the time. The brakes work all the time.

Gerryatrick
Forum User

Postby Gerryatrick » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 am

My 1993 R1100RS is same as Jimniven describes - also an expert told me it will always be like this. ](*,)

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:43 am

That's Weird as your bike should have Servo assisted ABS

That REALLY needs the codes checked Or a Servo-ectomy to be truthful

A Hateful system when (not If)the errors develop!!!
Hi Jaythro. Would this mod work on a R 1150 RT 2004, as I have the same problem with the ABS lights. As they are either both off or both on, I've taken the relay out just to stop the top light from flashing and clicking all the time. The brakes work all the time.

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”