Stick coil (s) in need of urgent therapy

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

sykospain
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Stick coil (s) in need of urgent therapy

Postby sykospain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Went shopping on it this morning and suddenly whilst pootling along the beach road, I had the dreaded "complete-cutout-dead-engine" effect. Which wobbles you as the motor immediately comes to rest.

Each time thereafter I simply restarted after a coupla presses of the button whilst coasting along; fortunately there was not too much tourist rubbernecker traffic yet, bimbling at 30 kph along the playa looking for somewhere to park, so no drama.

Last week when he did the throttle and injector balancing two-step, mechanic José pointed out that he had a suspicion of a stick coil on its way out with noticeable corrosion on it.

Anybody sourced a good-priced new stick in the EU ? I know they're an arm-and-a-leg.

AL in sweltering Andalucía. 26 degrees in dead-still air at noon today.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike.

Lurchio
Forum User

Re: Stick coil (s) in need of urgent therapy

Postby Lurchio » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 am

Al, check 'Motomike' based in Alicante (website). Does loads of stuff for bmws. I have used them before. Good price, good service.

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 am

One of my stick coils gave up recently just after I bought the bike.
R1200CL.
Corrosion was definitely the issue.
I guess it's a real moisture trap in there.
I paid £100 for a new one from my BMW dealer.
From now on I'll be regularly taking them out for a wipe over with WD40.

sykospain
Forum User

Postby sykospain » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Yep, a new stick coil popped into the left-hand cylinder-head from a nearby R1200GS awaiting service in José's workshop solved the bad-running problem totally in my bike.

An instant goodbye to the previous occasional hunting, hesitation, backfiring and the general feeling that something within the past few weeks suddenly wasn't right with the fuel supply, injection, maybe even HES wiring, whatever. And this after a full tappets-check, throttle balance, etc.

As someone else says somewhere on another boxer bike forum :-
"Bad running motor ? - it's ALWAYS the stick coils.."

The new Beru stainless-steel-sleeved coils cost 120 snoojits each. They claim to be more resistant to overheating and corrosion effects that break down the coil windings' integrity.
We'll see.

But this stick-on-plug design, trapped inside an extremely hot, tight-fitting tunnel leading to the spark plug, clearly demands a high spec item. so maybe that's why they're ten times more expensive than a bog-standard ignition coil.

Some riders have converted their BMW boxer to externally-mounted coils by Motorcraft specified for a Ford 3.5 liter pickup sold in the USA. Much, much cheaper items.
But can you be bovvered ?
Here's the 'Motorworks' replacement item :-

AL in s.e. Spain

Galactic Greyhound
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Is a 'snoojit' a new crypto currency? :lol:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

sykospain
Forum User

Postby sykospain » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 am

Ha-ha-ha. No, I first met the term 'snoojit' on tour as presenter with the BBC Northern symphony orchestra, which became the BBC Philharmonic. The players are a varied and often feisty bunch who don't suffer fools gladly, so I was always on tenterhooks.... But when 108 talented musicians went on extended foreign tours, away from base, the run-of-the-mill UK work routine, the wife, etc., and were thrown into the exhausting melee of high-stress performance and travel in unfamiliar surroundings, often overnighting in massive hotels, then all inhibitions vanished as they trekked from one country to another and were flown and bussed from one prestigious concerthall to another. Don't get me started on the frequency of extra-marital relations....one particular trombone had a 20 year foreign-tour passionate relationship with a viola, and the brass player's wife knew absolutely nothing about the deal. We used to call the pair, "winners in the Slumberland All-Comers Olympics " as their nightly activities reverberated down hotel corridors.

Many countries visited had differing units of currency, so in the end any foreign currency was referred to as a snoojit, because they couldn't be bothered remembering the words for Yen, Baht, Laver, Crowns, Marks, Francs, etc., before the euro was introduced and brought a certain amount of uniformity. But not lack of illegal thrills and a frisson of excitement combined with exhaustion.

Galactic Greyhound
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am

Well, I won't forget the 'snoojit' after that explanation! :lol:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”