Oil change.....now it vibrates??

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Oil change.....now it vibrates??

Postby King Herald » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:02 pm

I was low on oil so thought I’d do a complete oil change, new filter and “Castrol Power 10/40” motorcycle oil from Halfords. £39 so not rubbish?

Also changed gearbox oil with something Castrol that I ordered from Motorworks for that job a while ago.

Took it out for a spin and noticed a pronounced vibration at 3200 to 3500 rpm.

It felt more like I had suddenly ridden onto washboard road surface, and I stopped to have a look if anything had leapt out through the crankcase. No leaks, no damage.

It seems normal above and below that rev range, and it sure never vibrated like that before.

Can’t remember what oil I used for the last two changes but it came from Motorworks, their recommended synthetic.

It is a touch overfilled, up to the top of the sigh glass, but that can’t cause vibration like this. Can it? :pale:
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Oil change.....now it vibrates??

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:47 pm

If it is filled to the top of the sight glass then you cannot tell how much it is over-filled!

If it is overfilled then the oil will get churned up possibly causing the vibration you are getting and oil will get dumped into the Air Box - drain any oil in the Airbox by using the drain plug fitted at the LH rear of the Airbox.

Leave on mainstand overnight - do NOT start the engine!
Drain off the engine oil by removing the sump plug until the oil is halfway up the sight glass.
Do a Test Ride and see if the vibration has cleared.

Use the 'Jaythro' method when checking oil level:
1. After the last ride if the day, put on SIDESTAND for 20 minutes.
2. Put on Mainstand overnight.
3. In the morning check the oil level:
If between 1/3 and 2/3 on the sightglass, do NOT add any oil.
If below 1/3 then top up to 2/3 level ONLY.

You should be using a MINERAL 20W/50 API SF, SG or SH oil in the Oilheads.
A PART-Synthetic oil MAY be acceptable but NEVER use a FULLY-Synthetic oil.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Okay Ced, thanks. I just carefully dumped about 0.1 litres, it is down to the top of the red dot now. Might test ride it later tonight.

I usually use the 15/50 semi synthetic, so if this vibe won’t go away I might go back to that. Nothing else changed apart from the gearbox oil: Castrol EPX 80W90.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:40 pm

Okay Ced, thanks. I just carefully dumped about 0.1 litres, it is down to the top of the red dot now. Might test ride it later tonight.

I usually use the 15/50 semi synthetic, so if this vibe won’t go away I might go back to that. Nothing else changed apart from the gearbox oil: Castrol EPX 80W90.

Not greatly overfilled then!
Sounds like you are using FULLY Synthetic?

The Castrol EPX 80W90 is similar to what I use in the gearbox.

Just a check to make; often when working on the bike the Throttle/Choke Cables can get pulled out of their adjuster ferrules which causes various problems.

Check that your Throttle/Choke Cables are FULLY seated in their adjuster ferrules on the top of the Throttle Bodies (TBs).

The exact Throttle/Choke Cable arrangement depends on the year of your Oilhead, early ones with the 2-cable system had three adjusters on the LH Throttle Body and one adjuster on the RH Throttle Body, the later ones (I think post-1996) have a 4-cable Bowden Box system with only one cable adjuster on each Throttle Body.

Also, while you are at it, check that the Throttle Cable wire inners going round each Throttle Body pulley are not frayed (use a paper towel slid up and down and it will 'catch' on any broken strands which can hang-up the cable).
The TB Throttle Cables have a life of about 30,000 miles before inner strand fraying begins.

With either system, the Throttle/Choke Cable operation is best checked by ensuring that, with the Choke OFF and the Throttle CLOSED, that the Stop Tab on each Throttle Body pulley is contacting the Stop Screw (never adjust this paint-locked screw).
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:34 am

Throttle cables are all in their correct place, both throttles close fully.

It doesn’t actually say anywhere on the jug whether the Castrol Power 1 is synthetic, semi, or what.

Off for a ride in a while.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Froglodyte
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Froglodyte » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:37 am

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:35 am

I was low on oil so thought I’d do a complete oil change, new filter and “Castrol Power 10/40” motorcycle oil from Halfords. £39 so not rubbish?
Not to start an Oil war

The Oilheads and Airheads and in fact the Hex heads were all designed to use 20W50

You will probably notice a timing chain clatter for a couple of seconds when you start the engine now too

I use only 20W50 on the bikes except if the owner says that they ahem "Hurry" along rather swiftly all the time and I use 15W40

There surely HAS to be something else than just an oil change to effect the balance

Was the gear oil for the gearbox and final drive GL5 Specification??

I tend to run 90 W 140 GL5 in all final drives now

75W90 Semi Synth GL5 in Gearboxes
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Been for a 30 mile run and the vibration has gone away totally.

I find it hard to believe the oil being 12mm too high caused it, but I have changed nothing else since yesterday’s run.

I may put some 20/50 in it next time, when I can find some, Halfords don’t stock it.

The gearbox oil was supplied by Motorworks, for Oilhead gearboxes, so I assume it is the correct spec.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi J
I understand 20W50 on the bikes

but NOT 15W40 if the owner says that they "Hurry" along rather swiftly

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Been for a 30 mile run and the vibration has gone away totally......

That's good news then! :smile:

I'm not going to speculate on why only a 12mm overfill might have caused the vibration but it is always good practice to be wary of over-filling anything.

Stick to the 'Jaythro method' oil check as posted earlier and you will be fine!

Get your Mineral 20W/50 API SF, SG or SH oil online from Morris Lubricants (20W/50 V-Twin) if you can't get locally.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Friend of mine who owns/runs a bike workshops says he only ever fills the Bloodbike BMs he services to just below the red dot, says he was was told never to overfill them long ago.

I’ll have a look for some 20/50 online Ced, and give it a try, I really don’t like the look of this watery 10/40 stuff. Doesn’t seem right.

As I was feeling industrious I did valve clearances today, cleaned and set the BBS and balanced throttle bodies. Feels a touch smoother out on the road. :cool:
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:16 pm

…..I’ll have a look for some 20/50 online Ced, and give it a try, I really don’t like the look of this watery 10/40 stuff. Doesn’t seem right......

Not just any 20W/50..... the API spec should be SF, SG or SH.

These specs have a higher level of the anti-wear additive ZDDP to better protect the valve gear on older design engines like the Airheads and the Oilheads.

I like the Morris Lubricants V-Twin 20W-50 Mineral and order it online as I cannot get a suitable 20W-50 locally and by ordering direct from the manufacturer I know it is not fake.

Online - Morris V-Twin 20W-50: https://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.u ... e-oil.html
Spec - Morris V-Twin 20W-50: https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/cust ... 517775.pdf (API SF / SG)
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Douglas C
Forum User

Postby Douglas C » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am

Douglas C.

2000 R1150GS
1998 K1200RS (Now gone)
1994 K1100RS (Now gone)
1968 Triumph T120

sykospain
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Postby sykospain » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Interesting that a brief scan on the Castrol pages about their Power brand oil mentioned above - NOWHERE can I see in their guff text as to whether it's syn, semi-syn or chip-fat.

In these sweltering temps that we're enjoying at the mo., I find the pesky Getrag-typical gearbox clonking noise is noticeably louder. Did someone somewhere suggest that a glue-ier gearbox oil was a good idea ?
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike.

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:49 pm

It says nothing on the bottle about the oil, but I did just find something on the Halfords web site.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motor ... e-oil-4ltr

It says “part synthetic” so I must have misread something the other day that said full synthetic.

It is the ‘racing’ Version of this oil that is full synth.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:27 pm

I just ordered a gallon of that. I’ll change the oil soon, as I plan to go back across the channel on 1st September for a few weeks.

I also just bought the updated cam chain tensioner, for the left side, but I will change that at a different time to changing the oil, to see if there is a difference in cam chain startup noise. It definitely seems noisier at startup since the last oil change, to the Castrol Power 10/40. :-k
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Lurchio
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Postby Lurchio » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Interesting that a brief scan on the Castrol pages about their Power brand oil mentioned above - NOWHERE can I see in their guff text as to whether it's syn, semi-syn or chip-fat.

In these sweltering temps that we're enjoying at the mo., I find the pesky Getrag-typical gearbox clonking noise is noticeably louder. Did someone somewhere suggest that a glue-ier gearbox oil was a good idea ?
Hello Al!

Its hot 'up here' too! I find the gearbox gets terribly noisy and clunky if I run it on 90w oil here. I use Castrol MTX Synthetic 75w/140w in the gearbox. (Lubricantes Online. Murcia. 12.30 euros) and Castrol Syntrax long life 75w/90w in the final drive (same place, 15.00 euros) and they currently have an offer of 4 ltrs of Castrol Power 1 20/50 engine oil for 22.90 euros!

Ian

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:54 am

My gearbox seems clunkier than ever since I changed that oil, I’d be happy to try something else right now.

The engine also seem noisier with Castrol 10/40 in, so I am swapping to Unipart 20/50 soon.

However, I did swap out my cam chain tensioner for the new version a couple of days ago, 20 minutes job, and no more clack clack clack at start up. 😎🤓😁
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”