r1150 cylinder STUDS torque specs ??

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

bazzzer
Forum User

r1150 cylinder STUDS torque specs ??

Postby bazzzer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi all
Following a minor prang, am having to replace one of my crankcase to cylinder head studs (i.e the ones that hold the barrel and head to the crank.) Now I can get the value of the nuts on the end, but how tight should I screw the stud into the cylinder ! ?. :-k Haynes has no value, Clymer reckon you cant replace them. ](*,)
Any help / guidance much appreciated \:D/
Cheers
Bazzzer :cool:
Bazzzer
Confirmed R1150RT fan \:D/ \:D/ (except removing the fairing and the fekin clutch !! :evil: :evil: )!

Jeff Highland
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Re: r1150 cylinder STUDS torque specs ??

Postby Jeff Highland » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 pm

If it bottoms out, snug with threadlock, If it does not then just get all the threads in to the same depth as the others, again with locktite.
It is not clamping anything at this stage so there will NOT be a torque value, but you don't want it moving when you tighten or loosen the head nuts.

bazzzer
Forum User

Postby bazzzer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Jeff
Thanks for the advice, agree with you about the thread length.It seems from a Chris Harris video and a bit on UKGSer that the torque should be around the 24 - 28 lb ft region using two nuts on the opposite end. [-o< I did think about thread-lock, but its really oily in there, don't think it would work. Also seen many horror stories about over-tightening ! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Will keep you posted as it goes
Cheers
Bazzzer \:D/
Bazzzer
Confirmed R1150RT fan \:D/ \:D/ (except removing the fairing and the fekin clutch !! :evil: :evil: )!

bazzzer
Forum User

Postby bazzzer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi all
Having asked the same Q on the ukgser forum it appears that the stud does not have to be that tight, as the torque comes when you put the valve gear nut on. I'm going to try finger tight then a little bit and see what happens !
Again thanks Jeff for the post
Bazzzer
Bazzzer

bazzzer
Forum User

Postby bazzzer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:56 am

Hi all
Well with some trepidation I wound in the new stud, it tightened a little until it was level with the other two (just over finger tight). Put the head back on, tightened all the nuts to 14.75 lb-ft then 90 degrees twice. Absolutely perfect, and oil tight when I spun the engine over.
Trouble is it made a hell of a clattering sound, and wouldn't fire on that cylinder. Am suspecting a broken ring (yes i did recheck the cam sprocket !). Now to take it all apart again..............
Bazzzer

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”