Fuel Leak

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Smurf1664
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Fuel Leak

Postby Smurf1664 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Today being a pleasant day here, I thought that I would use the beemer to go into town for a few small things, bank, Post Office, etc.

All chores finished so decided to blow some of the cobwebs off on a shortish run on some twisties. Half tank of fuel, so more than enough. Through the twisties, back into town, through town and out onto the autovia. Cruising along at 120kph, quick look at the fuel gauge only to see no display! Engine oil temp indicating ok, so thought that I had had a partial indicator failure because the disappearance was so sudden...... and then the low fuel light came on! No worries, should be good for up to 40 km on reserve and I was only 9 km from home. Pulled into my local garage and put in 19 litres. After paying, I noticed a small puddle under the bike, which I dismissed as I thought that it had been there on my arrival. On starting up, the fuel gauge started indicating. Electrical gremlins, thought I.

Anyway, off home back along the autovia, into driveway and parked bike, unlocked house and came out to put bike away in the garage, and that is when I noticed another small puddle under the bike! Now my suspicions were aroused (quick, aren't I?) Started the bike up only to have fuel spurt from under the Tupperware on the RHS of the bike over my boot!

Bike is now resting and cooling down in the garage and I will have a busy morning tomorrow, which is a national holiday, so the spares shops will be closed, removing the Tupperware and leak hunting - although with the rate at which it spurted out, that part shouldn't take too long to trace!! Hope the repair is without snags!

Glad I didn't have anything planned for the weekend!!
Smurf

2016 - BMW R1150RT
2010 - BMW R100S
1986 - BMW R100T
1963 - BSA Gold Star Clubman DBD34 500cc
1962 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1961 - BSA Bantam 150cc

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Fuel Leak

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi Smurf,

Lucky you - no fuel fire!
Think twice about keeping the bike in the garage while it has a fuel leak!

R1150RT?
Fuel leak:
Possibly a QD Fuel Connector broken or leaking.

No Fuel Gauge when low:
Could be a temporary problem with the Sender Tube which sends a resistance signal to the RID Fuel Gauge depending on fuel level (the float arm is only for the Low Fuel Light).

There is a float ball inside the tube which shorts across two vertical resistance wires to give the fuel level signal.

If it happens again the Sender Tube can be tested from the Fuel Pump Plate electrical connector mounted on the RH side of the bike on the top frame rail at the rear of the Fuel Tank without having to open up the Fuel Pump Plate and remove the Sender Tube (there is a 2-pole connector for the Sender Tube held on the bottom of the Tube by an O-ring if you ever go inside the tank).
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi
fuel spurt, probably hose related

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Check the clips that hold the hose to the injector, they can corrode & allow the
joint to leak under pressure

sykospain
Forum User

Postby sykospain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Richard, you're located not far from me here on the s.e. Med coast of Spain.

A namesake of yours, who's a Brit riding a K1200RS in the USA, has made a short video showing what has almost certainly happened to the Quick Disconnect high-pressure male fitting on your tank-output fuel line. The OEM part is plastic ( WHY ? ) and under 2 bar pressure and occasional maintenance disconnections, snaps for fun.

If that's the case, you're lucky your right leg wasn't consumed by fire !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTGMFmNG8AI

The correct brass replacement QD fitting is available from MW in Yokkshurr - or you could on Monday after this current fiesta, try RKMotonet in Madrid or a mechanic at Calpe Motos, a guy called MotoMike.

https://www.motomike.eu/calpemotos/es/dcvid/

AL on Mojácar Playa, Almería.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike.

sykospain
Forum User

Postby sykospain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am

P.S.
You might also want to watch the Illinois BMW Riders' video made by the resourceful Kirk as he struggles to cut off the OEM hose clamps when replacing the pathetic plastic male QDs on his K 1200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIaq4e42v4I
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike.

Smurf1664
Forum User

Postby Smurf1664 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:00 pm

First of all, thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

The guilty item has been identified as the fuel hose next to one of the plastic QDs under the fuel tank. I removed the QD and trimmed the end of the hose and reassembled and clamped with the small jubilee clip. Pushed bike out of garage, into shade, and turned on ignition. A slight hum and all seemed well, no leaks. Before refitting the Tupperware, I started the bike up and out came another leak, this time a fine mist of petrol, not the spurt as before, from the same hose, which appears to be extremely porous, so I'll have to spend more time on the computer researching Alan's suggestions of both YouTube and motomike at Calpe and RKMotonet - thanks for those links, Alan. I shall also be buying some new fuel hose and the brass QD fittings, sod the price! Luckily, I decided to wear my boots instead of sportshoes for the ride. Someone up there is obviously looking out for me in my dotage!

Ced, the fuel gauge indication has returned, possibly/probably just the sudden loss of fuel prior to the illumination of the low fuel light.

George, as you suggested, fuel spurt, hose related.

One thing, one of the clamps that secure the various pipes under the fuel tank is the type that seems to be crimped on, so, as it isn't leaking at present, I may leave that one well alone.

At least I now have no fear about removing the fuel tank, although I may have to syphon at least 15 litres of fuel out first!

While all is in bits, I could probably change the alternator belt at the same time as it has only 15000 km to go - maybe!

Terry
Smurf

2016 - BMW R1150RT
2010 - BMW R100S
1986 - BMW R100T
1962 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1961 - BSA Bantam 150cc

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:14 pm

I would have thought if you were losing that much fuel you'd smell it.
The last leak I had took me ages to find, and turned out to be the fuel pump gasket.
The R1200C fuel pump is inside the tank.

Smurf1664
Forum User

Postby Smurf1664 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:46 pm

[/quote]by andys » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

I would have thought if you were losing that much fuel you'd smell it.
The last leak I had took me ages to find, and turned out to be the fuel pump gasket.
The R1200C fuel pump is inside the tank.

It obviously happened after I had been in town and somewhere along the twisties and the autovia, at between 90 and 120 kph, so no smell. As I mentioned earlier, the indication became apparent on the autovia on the way home when the low fuel light came on.
Smurf

2016 - BMW R1150RT
2010 - BMW R100S
1986 - BMW R100T
1962 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1961 - BSA Bantam 150cc

Jeff Highland
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Postby Jeff Highland » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:23 pm

When buying hose, make sure you get fuel injection rated hose 8mm or 5/16" AND fuel injection hose clamps not the regular spiral worm type which can cut into the hose over time.

Lurchio
Forum User

Postby Lurchio » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Hello you in Murcia! Thought you had bailed out!
Alan put me onto tills.de . Just ordered a set of 2 brass quick disconnects, proper clamps included. 66 euros total plus post. I am changing all my lines for the correct 8mm int dia hose as the heat here has got to them and they are starting to perish. Bike is on lift now, waiting for Mr. Cartero. The clips on the hose can be got from e bay if you want them original. Oetiker clips they are called, alternatively Tills can provide the correct screw type!
Thanks to Al in Mojacor for the tills.de heads up. Have a look, I know he saved a bundle on the bits for his Rockster.
The oem plastic qd fittings are crap, add the heat here to the engine heat and they go brittle. Also the little O rings are very delicate.
Good luck, hopefully see you one day!

Ian

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”