Front brakes still sticking

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Howard64180
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Front brakes still sticking

Postby Howard64180 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 pm

I thought it best to start a new thread on this, as the title on my old thread no longer applies.

Today I stripped the master cylinder again. No faults were found. I now have a lovely free action on the lever (and the piston) and the relief hole is squirting perfectly. The brakes continue to stick and only gradually release. We're not talking about locked fully on and in fact it can't be felt with the bike off the stand, but it's far from correct. I have rebuilt calipers, braided brake lines and apparently a perfectly functioning master cylinder.

That leaves only one thing I can think of. Could there be crud in the metal ABS lines left over from the old rubber lines? It would have to have been there a while because it looks like this bike has had braided lines for a few years. I replaced them due to a leak at a crimped joint. I have bled the brakes several times since I got the bike and things have got steadily worse - perhaps something has shifted. Any thoughts, because I'm out of alternative ideas?

oldyam
Forum User
Country of Residence: Ireland

Re: Front brakes still sticking

Postby oldyam » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:30 am

Do the calipers release any more if you crack open the bleed nipple ? on one or both calipers, I would try this one caliper at a time

if it does then something else is holding pressure in the caliper, if not then the issue is likely in the caliper itself ( I suspect this is your problem ).

If the calipers release on opening the bleed nipple then its a matter of working your way backwards up the system one connection at a time until opening the joints doesn't release the calipers anymore.
Nigel
1994 Triumph Trophy in British Racing Green
1993 Triumph Trophy in Caspian Blue
1999 Triumph Trophy in Oxford Blue
2007 R 1200 RT Blood Bike Leinster
2000 R 1100 RT in Black ( Sold )
1981 Yamaha XJ650 in Red ( Sold)

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:00 am

If you take it for a run but avoiding use of each brake circuit in turn does the disc or discs get hot ?

The do it with a few light actuations on a long straight and see what happens

Basically you want to see if whilst in action they retract and leave a free running wheel
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:53 am

My back brake seems to hang on all the time. I’ve had it all stripped down, piston pushes back in with light finger pressure, but there is always a bit of drag, unlike the front. I’ve been told it is normal, but who knows.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 am

When you remove the front callipers can you simply twist them to force the pistons back in to get the caliper round the disc? Mine are fairly stiff to ‘twist’, to force fluid back up the system, but they don’t actually drag in use.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Howard64180
Forum User

Postby Howard64180 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 am

Thank you for all the replies. The discs don't get hot in operation. With the bike off the stand, a click can be heard as the pads 'let go'. I like the idea of releasing pressure by starting at the calipers. As pressure does release over a fairly short period anyway, I'll have to be quick though! It's a bit like when the doctor deflates the blood pressure cuff on your arm (though slower), you can almost feel the gradual release of pressure. When I assembled the calipers the pistons went in with almost no resistance so I'm not sure how they could be sticking. The only slight concern with them was that the caliper half 'o' rings provided were fatter than expected, though I doubt this is the problem.

Question: am I being too fussy? I do like things to work as they should - especially brakes.

Howard64180
Forum User

Postby Howard64180 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:15 pm

I tried releasing pressure at the bleed nipple and a difference could be felt in that the brake drag dissipated more quickly. The effect was only slight though. I also played about with wheel alignment. Even just slackening the spindle bolt a little makes the brakes drag much worse. I then went for a short ride and the brakes felt very strong; also there is no feeling of drag on releasing the brakes at low speed. I think perhaps this is as good as it gets. (Maybe the new caliper seals need running in :lol: )

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”