iABS Fault Codes.

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

andrewsf2
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

iABS Fault Codes.

Postby andrewsf2 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 pm

The iABS on my 2003 R1150 RS has failed. It does the initialization but now both warning lights are on. With the bike on its stand when I pull the front brake lever the motor whines - so I think the front circuit is ok. When I press the rear brake pedal I hear the microswitch click but the motor doesn't whine. The brake light comes on when either the front brake lever or rear brake pedal is pressed.

I got the fault codes read - there are 4.

Wheel speed sensor front 4182
Pressure sensor, front wheel circuit 430E
Rear wheel circuit 441E
Brake fluid level 45F6.

The brake fluid level was checked and is fine.

Any advice on what these codes mean?

Andrew.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Re: iABS Fault Codes.

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 pm

…..I got the fault codes read - there are 4.

Wheel speed sensor front 4182
Pressure sensor, front wheel circuit 430E
Rear wheel circuit 441E
Brake fluid level 45F6......

I think that these codes are proprietary to the Fault Code Reader that was used and need to be decoded by that Reader.

iABS-1 (ABS3) FAULT CODES
The R1150 iABS-1 (ABS3) Fault Codes are given by the GEN and ABS dash Warning lights as follows:

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

iABS-1 (ABS3) SERVICING
Before working on iABS faults you should ensure that the system has been properly serviced as follows:

http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/service_abs3.pdf

SERVECTOMY
If it comes to the worst and the iABS-1 (ABS3) system is not repairable then a Servectomy (removal of the ABS) is the normal course of action which results in the bike having normal hydraulic braking but without any ABS.
As long as the iABS-1 Electronic Control Module (ECM) is still functional, the easiest way to do an iABS-1 (ABS3) Servectomy is to retain the ECM after removing it from the iABS Hydro Unit - DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES!
Just replug the iABS-1 plug into the ECM and the rear brake light and rear light will work as normal without having to change the brake switches, cut wires or fit a relay:

https://www.bmbikes.org.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 27#p176827
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

andrewsf2
Forum User

Postby andrewsf2 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:24 am

Hi Ced,

Thanks for your detailed reply.
It was a mate's MotoScan code reader which covers only BM bikes, hence I was hoping it would give meaningful error descriptions!

The warning lights are "Brake Failure" flashing fast (assuming 4 Hz) and the smaller one "Gen" at about 1Hz.

I recently did a full fluid change - all 4 circuits - and it was working fine.

As the front system is working would it be worthwhile to flush the rear circuit again ? How would I do that when the motor isn't working?

I would like to keep the ABS system but perhaps it is time to remove it! As the front system is working ok - and the brake light comes on when I press either front or rear lever/pedal can I assume the ABS electronic controller is working ok??

Thanks,

Andrew.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun May 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi Andrew,

I am not familiar with the MotoScan Fault Code Reader so am unable to comment on the results you got.

However, if you go to the MotoScan website and contact Technical Support hopefully you will be given more information about these results.

Note that your iABS system has fluid reservoirs for both the WHEEL and the CONTROL circuits.
I think you are already aware of this having done the full brake service on this system - just make sure that ALL the reservoirs are fully topped up.

From the previously given link to Largiader's 'ABS Faults':
"Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz = At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode."

It would appear from the dash lights and your fault description that the Rear ABS system has failed.
The MotoScan results may also be showing problems with the Front ABS system also.

The best commercially available tester for your bike is the Hexcode GS911.
Try and find someone locally who can scan your bike using a GS911 to get a good analysis of the problem.

If the Rear ABS pump is not working you will have a problem trying to flush the Rear Wheel circuit.
Check the Rear Wheel and Control circuits fluid levels.

If the Rear Brake Light is working the chances are that the ABS Electronic Control Module (ECM) is working OK and can be retained for an easy Servectomy procedure [DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES!]
The problem is likely to be a failed rear Servo Pump or rear Pressure Transducer.

The iABS-1 (ABS3) system is notoriously unreliable to the extent that some owners do a Servectomy even if the system is working OK.

The reason for doing this is; if the system fails while riding, you will be left with 'residual braking' on front, rear or both brake circuits.

'Residual Braking' ocurring when riding is a very bad situation leaving you with possibly insufficient braking power to meet the braking requirement at the time it happens.
Unlike the earlier ABS2 system, the iABS-1 (ABS3) system does NOT fail to normal hydraulic braking power but to something very much less which can cause, quite literally, a heart-stopping incident.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

andrewsf2
Forum User

Postby andrewsf2 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi Ced,

I confirm the fluid levels in front & rear chambers in the ABS unit are correct - as are the levels in handlebar and rear wheel "master cylinders".

Contacting MotoScan is a good idea , I'll send an email tomorrow. As I live in the Scottish Highlands (Inverness) GS911s are not common! There is a main dealer in town but I'm sure they won't be cheap. Another problem is due to the ABS problem the MOT has now expired...

I think it's going to be an ABSectomy soon....

About 5 years ago the front brake micro switch played up resulting in residual braking - fortunately my speed was low as I was riding through a local town. That was a brown trousers job I don't want to repeat!!

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun May 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi Andrew,

There is a BMW Motorrad dealer in Inverness as you say:

Harry Fairbairn Inverness
32 Longman Road Inverness IV1 1RY

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/publi ... cator.html

Check with the dealer what they will charge to scan your bike with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic computer and give you a printout of the result - I think they will charge around £70.
You might expect to pay someone private/commercial around £50 for a GS911 scan so the BMW charge is not too bad.

With your MOT having expired you will need to transport the bike to and from the dealer yourself or have the dealer do it.
A local bike shop may offer you a cheaper transport package.

Once you get confirmation of what the problem is you can think about what to do.
If the iABS-1 (ABS3) system has indeed failed, I would NOT recommend having a new iABS-1 Modulator fitted (c. £1800) or even fitting a used part due to the poor reliability of this system and possible consequences of failure when riding.

Alternatively, just accept now that a Servectomy is a good thing and do it yourself at home after checking with your Insurance Company as below.
The money you save will be more than enough to buy any necessary parts required for the Servectomy.
When it is done you can then book the bike in for an MOT.

With a Servectomy, you will lose the ABS function but you will have very good, normal, hydraulic braking without any front/rear linking and make brake servicing much easier to do.

Speak with your Insurance Company before carrying out the Servectomy work that they are happy for this to be done and will not load your premium.
Ensure that it is recorded as a 'Modification' in your Insurance documentation.

Keep us informed as to how you get on with this as it will likely be of interest to all R1150 owners.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Mon May 13, 2019 6:59 am

Its normal for these systems The most common failure is the pressure switch in the rear circuit to fail and you get "Brake pressure rear circuit Too High!"

My advice If you have not followed the brake fluid change regime implicitly and it is any other code than a speed sensor??

Bin the servo!! In fact at that age its not a case of IF it fails it is When it fails Sorry to be blunt but these systems were crap and you will likely not find many older bikes with a serviceable unit these days

If doing the servo removal ~~

Do not cut any wires

Just remove the ABS unit from them bike

Remove the electronics box from it and seal it from the elements (I use a bit of number plate and good weatherproof sealant /adhesive)

Refit the now sealed electronics box back to the loom and secure it to the bike

Re pipe the brakes as per normal and bleed I would probably get a couple of brake lines made as the existing are a a bit of a pain to get the exact angles
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

andrewsf2
Forum User

Postby andrewsf2 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated. Sorry for the delay in replying, but work, family and a 45 year old Laverda take a lot of time!

As the servo unit is a non-serviceable item and I know it is malfunctioning, the only sensible thing to do is to remove it. Replacing it with a new or refurbished one doesn't make sense - as it is know to be an unreliable system.

I'll get a stainless rear brake line and the link pipe for the front from Motorworks.

Once the unit is off I'll dismantle it and try to find out what the problem is.

I'll use cut no wires method and give an update when th job is done.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew.

Daimac
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Postby Daimac » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi - how was this issue resolved? I've experienced a similar/the same issue on my R1100S iABS/EVO - exactly the same symptoms that you describe at the outset; one of the members on the Boxertrix forum suggested checking the rear microswitch for power/continuity and I've checked that with the microswitch working [completing the circuit when the switch is depressed/rear brake in the off position].

Somewhere in my mind I seem to recall that when there has been a fault/problem with the iABS [in my case the battery has been disconnected], I now need to start the engine/move the bike to clear any fault codes (can anyone verify?); I've presently got the tank off to do a service (which included brake fluid change), hence how I encountered the problem.

Many thanks.

andrewsf2
Forum User

Postby andrewsf2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi,

I resolved it by removing the iABS! I followed one of the detailed descriptions given online - the cut no wires version - and it worked fine. There was a big sigh of relief when both brake lights worked though.

The only parts I bought were the link pipe and stainless rear brake line - both from Motorworks. The most difficult part of the job was bleeding the front brake line. I bought a vacuum bleeder and that was a great help.

Hopefully, MOT will be booked for next week - a friendly tester assured me that if there are no warning lights on it should be ok.... Best not to draw the tester's attention to the brakes though!!I

Hope you resolve your problem soon.

Andrew.

andrewsf2
Forum User

Postby andrewsf2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Spoke too soon!!!

No MOT yet as now the clutch won't disengage... Either the plates are stuck or the slave cylinder has failed.

The fluid level in the m/cylinder had dropped a wee bit so I topped it up. The action feels ok but no disengagement. I'll bleed the clutch and see if that will be a miracle cure.....

Is there a non-brutal way of freeing off a "stuck" clutch on an oilhead?

Assuming the slave cylinder has failed can it be removed without the rear frame being pivoted up??

I really have to question many of the design decisions taken by BMW......

Andrew.

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Sorry to hear that Andrew, I removed the ABS on my K1200rs a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised with the non ABS brakes, still have the old servo sitting in a box in my Garage!
Hope that the Clutch problem gets sorted easily
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

andrewsf2
Forum User

Postby andrewsf2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi,
Brief update - bike sailed through MOT test. I didn't mention the removal of the ABS and the tester didn't say anything about the brakes. Result!!

I managed to free the clutch and it's fine now. With the engine running Halford Shock and Freeze was sprayed through the inspection hole and after a few goes it freed off. Happy days!

All I need now is for the monsoon to stop....

Andrew.

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 pm

That’s great Andrew, enjoy the bike!
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman