Battery charging through auxilliary plug?

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

sc-em
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: UK

Battery charging through auxilliary plug?

Postby sc-em » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi all,
It's been a while, both on my GS and on the forum. Needless to say, my battery is a flat as a pancake. A few months ago, I bought an auxiliary switch that plugs into the side socket. Am I right? Is it possible to charge the battery from here. If so, does if matter how I connect the wire in the switch?
It would be nice to get it up and running so when we do have the occasional good day, I can get out for a ride.
Thanks.
Sorry if it is an obvious question.
Sean

BMW R1100 GS 1996
Gas Gas TXT 280
Sherco 125

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Battery charging through auxilliary plug?

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:01 am

Hi all,
It's been a while, both on my GS and on the forum. Needless to say, my battery is a flat as a pancake. A few months ago, I bought an auxiliary switch that plugs into the side socket.

Hi Sean,
Switch? Do you mean you bought an auxiliary BMW/Hella PLUG?
Side socket? Do you mean the Power Socket that supplies 12v for accessories?

See the following link showing BMW/Hella Auxiliary power plug | ELA60106 : https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_30_IA_80

Am I right? Is it possible to charge the battery from here.

If it is a BMW/Hella Plug you are intending to plug into the 12v Power Socket then the answer is 'Yes' - I do this on my R1100RT using an ALDI Smart Battery Charger.

If so, does if matter how I connect the wire in the switch?

Yes, it matters VERY much - if you connect the Battery Charger to the Hella/BMW Plug the wrong way round, then you risk causing serious damage to the electrics/electronics on your bike, the Battery and your Battery Charger by reversing the polarity of the charging voltage from your Charger.

Some chargers may prevent this reverse polarity damage from happening but I would not want to risk it! #-o :sad:

TESTING THE POWER SOCKET

If you have a Voltmeter, set it to read 12v DC.
Look INTO the 12v Power Socket where the plug will be inserted; the OUTER circular metal body should be connected to the Battery Negative (earth) terminal by the socket wiring loom.
The CENTRAL INNER disc connection should be connected to the Battery Positive terminal via a 10 Amp (or so) fuse in the Fusebox
(the central inner disc makes contact with the central pin of the plug when it is inserted).

First check that the 12v Power Socket has not been wired incorrectly with the wrong polarity by connecting the Voltmeter NEGATIVE probe to the Power Socket outer metal body (Negative terminal).
Connect the Voltmeter POSITIVE probe to the Power Socket CENTRAL inner disc connection (Positive terminal).

CAUTION: Be very careful not to short the probes together or you will blow the Power Outlet fuse in the Fusebox!

The Voltmeter should read 12 volts when both probes are connected as above.
On my R1100RT the Power Socket is always live and does not need the Ignition to be switched On for it to be connected.

WIRING THE HELLA/BMW PLUG

The OUTER terminal of the plug should be connected to your Battery Charger NEGATIVE lead.
The INNER (central pin) terminal of the plug should be connected to your Battery Charger POSITIVE lead.

UNSURE ABOUT THE PLUG TERMINALS?

If you are not sure what Plug terminal is what, CHECK by first removing the plug plastic cap and carefully inserting the unwired BMW/Hella Plug into the Power Socket being careful not to short the plug terminals against each other.

Connect the Voltmeter NEGATIVE lead to the Battery Negative (earth) terminal or any earthed part of the bike.
Probe the Plug terminals with the Voltmeter POSITIVE lead - the Voltmeter should show +12v when the POSITIVE probe is touched to the INNER (central pin) terminal of the plug - the Battery Charger POSITIVE lead should be connected to this terminal, the Charger Negative lead goes to the other (outer) terminal.

It would be nice to get it up and running so when we do have the occasional good day, I can get out for a ride.

You can also use that Power Socket for a 12v Tyre Inflator should you get a puncture when out riding!

Thanks.
Sorry if it is an obvious question.

No need to apologise - There are no obvious or silly questions asked on this forum! :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:53 am

They say you can't recharge from flat using the auxiliary socket and have to connect directly to battery but I managed it fine.

sc-em
Club Member 14

Postby sc-em » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:46 am

Thank you for the detailed reply GG. I am not sure why I asked the daft question about the way around to wire it. Of course it matters lol. It must have been one too many glasses last night.
I was going to wire up the switch/plugs with terminals on the end I can just attach to the battery charger. I must get e trickle charge. The Oxford cover I have has provision for a solar charger to be slipped into a pocket, but I have not investigated that option yet. Bottom line is I think I should use the bike more so it doesn't need it.

The plug I have is one I got from Motorworks.
The link is this and it is the Auxiliary right angle power plug | ELA00016
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_30_IA_80
Sean

BMW R1100 GS 1996
Gas Gas TXT 280
Sherco 125

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:33 am

Hi Sean,

That plug you have bought is a Right-angled BMW/Hella plug and is wired the same as the straight BMW Hella plug described in my previous post.

It sounds like your bike is kept outside?
If so, and it is kept on the road then this makes it more difficult to charge the battery and you will likely have to remove the battery for charging in the house as you cannot run a mains cable across a pavement.

If the bike is kept on a driveway, you can run a mains extension to a battery charger hidden under the bike cover.

Andys raises a good point in his post above - if the battery is completely flat it can still be charged from the bike's Power Socket BUT likely NOT with a Smart Charger.

Smart Chargers (electronic intelligent Chargers that self-adjust the charging rate to avoid over-charging the battery) will likely NOT begin to charge a completely flat battery as this is seen as a faulty battery.

They WILL start to recharge the battery if the battery is first charged with a non-Smart old-fashioned charger to get the voltage up past 6 volts at least.

However, if your parking circumstances are correct as above, then I would advise just going for a cheap NON-Smart trickle charger to charge the bike kept in a driveway.
I got a German one from MotoBins decades ago - just ask to make sure you get the old-fashioned NON-Smart trickle charger.

If the bike is kept on the road then you will have to remove the battery and can charge it in the house using the same non-Smart charger.
ALWAYS double-check the battery connections are correct BEFORE reconnecting a battery!

A non-Smart trickle charger will charge at around 0.5 Amps (500 m/A (milli-Amps)) and will therefore take around 40 hours to recharge a completely flat 20 Ampere-Hour (Ah) battery.

Another issue is that, if your battery has been left in a discharged state for any length if time, then a condition known as 'Sulphation' occurs on the battery internal plates.

This white, hard, crystalline condition insulates the plates from the acid and can prevent the battery from recharging and working properly.

If this has happened, then a long slow charge with a NON-Smart trickle charger might allow the battery to recover, otherwise the battery is scrap.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

sc-em
Club Member 14

Postby sc-em » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 pm

More very useful information, thanks. The bike is outside, but behind the main gate and a lockable side gate for the house, so running a cable is not a problem. I did wire up the plug earlier. Not much space within the plug itself and the terminal as only small, so the wire has to be wrapped around the bolt before tightening. On the positive side (no pun intended) when I plugged it in, it did read 11.4 volts, so not completely flat, just not enough to allow the starter to turn it over, so hopefully when connected, it should be okay.
The down side is (well relatively) we have come away to Wales, so I will have to wait until next week to try it out which may give me time to source a decent charger. I did have an Oxford Oximiser but that seemed to die a death for some reason.

My wife and I always have bets on how many bikes, or campers, or Land Rover Defenders we will see in the two and half our drive. I won the campers, but not the bikes. Only seven seen, although as per, 4 were some model of BMW. We tend to me more GS models on most drives on holidays.
Sean

BMW R1100 GS 1996
Gas Gas TXT 280
Sherco 125

sc-em
Club Member 14

Postby sc-em » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:13 pm

The auxiliary plug ideas seemed to work, but I bought an Oximser 600 and so have connected the terminals for that directly to the battery. I suppose I do have options for the plug, but not sure what yet.
Sean

BMW R1100 GS 1996
Gas Gas TXT 280
Sherco 125

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”