Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Exhausting Studs

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:58 am

Hi Ced, yes I do

OK, do the Part 2 test first and see what that reveals.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

ptjenkins65
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby ptjenkins65 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi Ced. I’m going to order the hose clips so will not get them for a few days. I will do the test then, ready to reassemble, thanks for all the help
1998 r850r
1979 r45
1974 r60/6
Still learning

ptjenkins65
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby ptjenkins65 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Hi All. Sorry for the delay in finishing this thread. I was called away with work at the last moment and decided to get the bike fixed while I was away. I couldn’t face coming back to a sad broken bike. I took it to a Jap and German and they diagnosed a faulty ignition sensor. It didn’t show up on the diagnostic machine but the tried another in there and it worked. They said it was the original and might have packed up coincidently but it also could have been the welding. As I said, the battery was disconnected so I don’t know. Either way round, it all now works. I suppose the moral is check carefully for a fault before launching in to major work you just don’t need to do.
Ced, thanks for all the support, you generous with your time and knowledge so cheers.
Pete
1998 r850r
1979 r45
1974 r60/6
Still learning

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Wales

Postby Mark Esposito » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Hi Pete,

Is that the place in isleworth ? Do you rate them ?
Are the prices fair ?

Always interested in good independent BMW places .

Mark

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

I have a 1988 R80 RT monolever in case i forget to mention it when asking a question ! and I'm based in South Wales

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi All. Sorry for the delay in finishing this thread. I was called away with work at the last moment and decided to get the bike fixed while I was away. I couldn’t face coming back to a sad broken bike. I took it to a Jap and German and they diagnosed a faulty ignition sensor. It didn’t show up on the diagnostic machine but the tried another in there and it worked. They said it was the original and might have packed up coincidently but it also could have been the welding. As I said, the battery was disconnected so I don’t know. Either way round, it all now works. I suppose the moral is check carefully for a fault before launching in to major work you just don’t need to do.
Ced, thanks for all the support, you generous with your time and knowledge so cheers.
Pete

Thanks for the update Pete - glad you have now got the bike going again!

If your bike has near 50,000 miles then the Ignition Trigger Unit (HES) normally fails anyway at around that mileage due to its wiring harness insulation disintegrating so it is now good for another 50,000 miles.

Your Ignition did seem to be OK although one spark was weak/intermittent so something may have been going on there.
The Ignition Trigger Unit does not just control the Ignition, it also controls the fuelling - there are two HES sensors in the Ignition Trigger Unit; the top sensor sends the Ignition pulses to the ECU, the bottom sensor sends the Fuelling pulses to the ECU.
It may be that there was a fuelling failure but we didn't get to finishing the fuelling testing to confirm this.
The Fuel Pump running for 2 seconds at Ignition On is controlled directly by the ECU and NOT the HES - the Fuelling HES sensor only comes into play when the engine is rotating i.e. cranking or running, to restart the Fuel Pump after the initial 2 second priming.
I suspect that the engine may have been initially fuelled on the 2 second priming pressure but that the fuelling HES was not properly restarting the Fuel Pump on cranking/running and that the cause of the engine running badly and stopping after 10 seconds was fuel starvation.

Anyway, as your guys said, maybe it was its time or the welding finished it off.

Main thing is you are now back on the road and know a lot more about your bike - ride safe! :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”