Indicators flashing double time. Urgent.

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: Indicators flashing double time. Urgent.

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:22 am

I have not followed this full thread but generally if headlights or brake lights make a difference to flasher speed it is absolutely a bad earth.

This is because the indicator will earth through the brake light filament and work normally until the brake light is put on at which time it loses the ground connection, same happening goes for the headlight / indicator relationship.

I am not sure how the same thing would happen on a bike as it does on a car, you need two bulbs in the circuit , one with broken earth.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:29 am

Hi KH,

Intermittent faults are the most difficult to fix.

However, if you carry out the previously posted test it will reveal any faults with the power supply to the Indicator Relay or to the Indicators at the time of testing:

TEST:

To check that there is nothing wrong with the +12v supply to the Flasher Unit (Socket pin #1 Green/Blue? wire) and with the L & R Indicator circuits, you might check the following (refer to previously posted Indicator Relay diagram for relay removal and socket pinout Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:20 pm):

1. Disconnect the Flasher Indicator Relay so that you have access to its socket connector (see previous instructions in this thread on how to remove the relay).

2. Using a suitable short length of insulated wire which will fit into the socket pins without damaging them, connect pin #1 (+12v @ Ignition On, Green/Blue wire 15A4) to pin #6 (RH Indicators, Blue/Black wire R).

3. Switch the Ignition ON - both RH Indicators should light FULLY but without flashing.

4. Switch the Ignition OFF.

5. Using a suitable short length of insulated wire which will fit into the socket pins without damaging them, connect pin #1 (+12v @ Ignition On, Green/Blue wire 15A4) to pin #12 (LH Indicators, Blue/Red wire L).

6. Switch the Ignition ON - both LH Indicators should light FULLY but without flashing.

7. If both the RH & LH Indicators light FULLY in the above tests then it would appear that the fault lies within the Indicator Relay itself.
Check that there are no damaged pins on the relay or the socket (i.e. female pin opened up excessively and not gripping the male pin tightly - if BOTH R & L Indicator sides are flashing too fast then the problem may be with the pin/socket #1 - if only one side is flashing too fast then the problem may be with the pin/socket #6 or #12 as appropriate).
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 am

Sorry Ced, meant to post that I had tried that test, and all was well. It is good that the problem has now gone, but annoying that I appear to have found no actual problem.

If it returns I shall try running a separate wire from the headlight earth wire to the frame somewhere, just so I know it is not the earth causing the fault. Everything is wrapped within the loom so hard to tell which wires go where.
1997 BMW R1100R

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:18 am

Hi KH,

I expected that the problem would not arise when doing the power/indicator test - the purpose of the test was to confirm that there were no power problems to the Indicator Relay and the Indicators.

Umfortunately, that good result means that there is a 90% chance that the fault is inside the Indicator Relay.

I would be looking at getting a Used relay from Motorworks or James Sherlock in case yours fails completely at an inopportune time.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Just to add to any confusion that may be present.

My bike is an ex police bike and had hazards that also switched a relay to flash the headlight. When that was on the indicators flashed at double speed. Rather than fix it I just removed the extra wiring as a flashing headlight aint a lot of use on a civilian bike.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 pm

The flashing headlight would add 5 Amps to the current taken from the battery.

If the battery was 'aged' or there was a poor earth return wire then the extra current could cause a voltage drop to the Indicator Relay itself and increase its flashing rate as a result.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:43 pm

First thing I assumed was that my battery was on the way out, but measuring voltages when standing and running, lights on, and off, indicated it was healthy. It would have been an easy fix......

I think I shall go for another, longer ride tomorrow and see if anything develops.

Buying a good used spare flasher will be a good idea, £40 I think, from Motorworks. I’d fit it and carry the old one, just in case.
1997 BMW R1100R

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:35 pm

So, two years down the track, with nary a problem, until a month or two ago...... intermittent double flashing....

And then last week all I get is double time, all the time.

I have discovered today, after repeating all the tests and checks again, that switching the kill button on and off affects the flash rate. If the kill button is in ‘stop’ mode, all is well, but flip it to ‘run’ and the indicators go nuts.

I shall order another flasher from Motorworks, if I can’t find a known good one to borrow from my mates motorcycle garage.

I was planning to get the bike in my new workshop for a good check over, and to remove the whole loom and go through it all sometime in the near future. That may happen sooner than later now....
1997 BMW R1100R

moto-m
Forum User

Postby moto-m » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:05 pm

If you're still having this problem - I have found that my R1100R sometimes does this for no apparent reason and I think that it may be the indicator cancel button not fully returning after use - as pressing the cancel button upwards and fully home after use often has the indicators working normally again when next used. A thorough clean of the cancel button and some lubrication may be a possible simple solution - worth a try anyhow.
1999 Red R1100R
1998 Red R1100RS SE
1998 Black R1100R
1999 Graphite Metalic R1100R

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:46 pm

If you're still having this problem - I have found that my R1100R sometimes does this for no apparent reason and I think that it may be the indicator cancel button not fully returning after use - as pressing the cancel button upwards and fully home after use often has the indicators working normally again when next used. A thorough clean of the cancel button and some lubrication may be a possible simple solution - worth a try anyhow.
I may give that a go, as I’ve tried everything else short of fitting a new flasher. The annoying thing is I took it for MOT last week, and the flashers worked perfectly all that day....
1997 BMW R1100R

moto-m
Forum User

Postby moto-m » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Yes - it's against all logic I know - but I have found that on a long (ish) ride the flashers work ok for a while before this problem shows up again - can also happen more in warm weather as well. This has been happening on one particular bike for a couple of years off and on now - but I haven't had this problem on any of the others.
1999 Red R1100R
1998 Red R1100RS SE
1998 Black R1100R
1999 Graphite Metalic R1100R

King Herald
Forum User

Postby King Herald » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:14 am

I meant to update this, but due to several mornings when the temperature were close to zero, and the bike almost refused to turn over, I fitted a new AGM battery, from Motorworks. That was a week or so ago, and the flasher problem seems to have gone away entirely now.

The removed battery is over four years old, and the previous owner told me he had got it cheap, some deal the local BMW dealer was doing, but it is an Extreme AGM battery so not rubbish. Anyway, I shall wait and see if this is a permanent cure. \:D/
1997 BMW R1100R

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”