Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Miv
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

2003 R1150r throttle / fast idle cable replacement

Postby Miv » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:40 am

Hi all
My 2003 R1150r is fast approaching 32000 miles now and am thinking about replacing all the throttle / fast idle cables with a complete set from motorworks, and doing it myself this winter.
Has any body done this on an R1150r and if so, roughly how long did it take.
I'm not a mechanic, but have been servicing my bikes for years, so have no problems with doing this job, but just wondered how long it takes ?
Thanks again guys.

Aljo
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: 2003 R1150r throttle / fast idle cable replacement

Postby Aljo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi Miv
To answer your question, at least 2 hours, unless your a professional and have experience of doing it before.

I will refrain from giving advice on the job, as you are not asking for that, but i will say its not a "pleasant" job, with an awkwardly positioned junction box situated under the ABS mounting tray (whether its an ABS model or not.)
Also, the recommended mileage for replacement (BMW service schedule) is 70,000 miles, so unless your experiencing difficulties, i would give it some thought before you commit to it.. (just my opinion)

If you do go for it and find you would benefit from assistance, Chris Harris has a pretty good tutorial posted on you tube, as long as you dont take offence at some of the explicatives...
All the Best To you

Miv
Forum User

Postby Miv » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Much appreciated Aljo, abs has been removed so tray is empty.
I considered doing this job as there seems to be some resistance / stiffness to the throttle, I thought cable replacement was 40,000 miles so may be, I will do some more investigating before ordering the set. I have heard it's an awkward job, and am not looking forward to it, but now I know it's a 70k job I will check everything else first.
And check out Chris Harris
Thanks again for the info Aljo
Cheers

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 am

I did mine a couple of years ago, but on a naked 1100r, so no bodywork to contend with.

Having heard the BMW guru Chris Harris say that he would rather change a rear bevel box than do a throttle cable swap I expected it to be a monumental task...... but it proved to be quite simple.

Disconnect all four cables, remember where they were routed, push up the clip that holds the cable box in place, slide it out from the right hand side.

When taking the box contents apart take a few photos of exact what goes where. Lubricate it with spray silicon on assembly.

I did mine at around 50,000 miles as the short cable, right hand throttle body, was snagging, it had broken a few strands inside and my TB balance kept going out.

Also changed the clutch cable as it felt a bit heavy and stiff, but the new one felt exactly the same.
1997 BMW R1100R

Miv
Forum User

Postby Miv » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:56 am

Cheers for that KH
I think I will disconnect all cables get access to the cable box and see if any are restricted, (due to slight resistance with the throttle)
and also, I can't seem to get any free play on the cable at the left side tb, no matter how much I wind in the adjuster at the tb end, so it does need some investigation, although the TB's still synch ok ??

Thanks again

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Cheers for that KH
I think I will disconnect all cables get access to the cable box and see if any are restricted, (due to slight resistance with the throttle)
and also, I can't seem to get any free play on the cable at the left side tb, no matter how much I wind in the adjuster at the tb end, so it does need some investigation, although the TB's still synch ok ??

Thanks again
That seems to be a mass production fault on these cable sets. Mine is the same. The trick is to put the lock nut underneath the mounting tab. That’s gives you enough slack. But don’t give it too much as your fast idle lever won’t pull up enough to work.

It’s a pain to reach the throttle cable locknut once it’s underneath, without loosening the throttle body clamp and rotating it, but it can be done. Once it’s adjusted right I do all my TB balancing using just the right side cable.
1997 BMW R1100R

Miv
Forum User

Postby Miv » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 pm

Good idea.... thanks for that KH, will give that a try
Cheers again

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”