Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

andrewsf2
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Replacing Pushrods.

Postby andrewsf2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi,

When I was turning the engine over by hand to find TDC a "clacking" noise came from the left cylinder head. As it has the Aluminium pushrods I think the problem is loose pushrod ends. What's the best way to remove the pushrods - should I remove the entire valve/cam assembly or should I take off the bottom rocker bracket?

I assume the one piece steel pushrods should be used?

It's a 2003 R1150RS.

Thanks,

Andrew

Lurchio
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Re: Replacing Pushrods.

Postby Lurchio » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi,
What does it sound like when the engine is running cold / warm / hot. Could it have been a loose valve clearance, or excess end float in the rocker shaft? You don't say how much mileage. Something clacking when turning the engine by hand is sure as hell going to hammer when its running!

Finally, which way (i.e. clockwise or anti clockwise) were you turning the engine by hand to get to TDC? It should always be clockwise when viewed from the front, anti clockwise sometimes 'winds up' chains, chain guides and tensioners, which may cause the noise. But personally have not seen serious damage caused. Others may have suffered worse.

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm

i would suspect a broken cam chain guide. Take the circular inspection cap off and have a look.

andrewsf2
Forum User

Postby andrewsf2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the comments.
Total mileage is 22,600 and engine was turned over clockwise only.
There is no unexpected noise until the clacking occurs - it occurs when the valves start closing. Both inlet and exhaust do it and the noise is the same.
I had a look inside the circular inspection cap and all looks well.

The noise sounds similar to what Chris Harris demonstrates in one of his videos - that was loose ends on Aluminium pushrods, hence my question about how best to remove the pushrods.

Valve clearances and rocker endfloat were in spec. and interestingly I didn't hear the noise when th engine was running - only when turning it over by hand.

So, what's the best way to remove the pushrods?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Jeff Highland
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Postby Jeff Highland » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am

As I understand, the loose pushrod ends situation is a hot RUNNING noise, not a turn over by hand sound.

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”