R1100RS Windshield adjuster replacement

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Eiledon
Forum User
Country of Residence: United States

R1100RS Windshield adjuster replacement

Postby Eiledon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 am

Managed to break the windshield on my 1996 R1100RS. As if that wasn't enough, it took a big piece of the adjuster with it. Looking at the adjuster and the aperture it passes through, I'm a bit stumped on how to go about changing it out. Looking at the replacement part (ebay) it looks like its a matter of two bolts, but how to get to them. I'm guessing it is a fairly involved bit of surgery. Any advice? Punt and let a professional do it? Thanks.

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: R1100RS Windshield adjuster replacement

Postby andys » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 am

It stumped me at first, but it's very easy.
The whole adjuster rod basically screws in.
Remove the fairing side infill panels, unbolt the clocks, remove the speedo cable where it enters the clocks, then pull the clocks out carefully.
You only need to pull them out a little and over to one side, so no need to disconnect them from the wiring plugs.
You should then see what's left of the broken rod.
If you can get a pair of pliers or mole grips onto what's left of the adjuster, you should be able to just unscrew it out.
Re fit the clocks, then drop the new rod through the aperture and into it's housing.
This part is very fiddly as you have to go by feel, but once you locate it's housing, just screw it back in.
PS/
Of course if there is enough of the adjuster still poking out of the speedo aperture and you can get a decent grip on it, you can unscrew it without having to remove the clocks.
Bear in mind the end of the rod is threaded, so it just unscrews out.
I say again though that refitting the replacement with the clocks in situ is very fiddly, but doable.
Last edited by andys on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jockboxer
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Jockboxer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:21 am

Eiledon
Forum User

Postby Eiledon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:59 am

Part number11 in Jockboxer's post is the casualty, so that whole assembly is being replaced. The "easy" fix andys discussed is sort of what I was figuring on. Its just a matter of getting at the bolts holding the unit in place that is the rub. It can only fit out one way, so hopefully it won't be too painful. Come Sunday I'm releasing the vicious dogs and going in. Thanks for the tips, and wish me luck.

Eiledon
Forum User

Postby Eiledon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:40 am

Did a little exploratory surgery and am trying to reconcile my findings. Removed the two side infill panels, loosened clocks, removed four bolts on adjuster support (part 11 in diagram above), assembly is loose but it looks like I will have to remove headlight housing in order to provide enough room to wiggle the wretched thing out. There is a round frame piece about 1/2" in diameter give or take that prevents the easy removal of the adjuster. Curiously, that damned bar is not in the photos in my Haynes manual. Arrrgh! Said manual says to remove adjuster before removing headlight. None of this makes much sense. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:01 pm

I have removed the adjuster rod several times.
You turn it anti clock wise untill you don't hear it clicking and you feel finger tight resistance.
At that point it will start to unscrew from it's housing.
It really is that simple.

Eiledon
Forum User

Postby Eiledon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:33 pm

If it were just the adjuster rod my problems would be over. It is the whole adjuster unit (with springs - what the rod adjusts). It is held in place by four bolts, but is trapped between a part of the frame and the headlight assembly. My Haynes manual says to remove the “adjuster plate” before removing headlight assembly. I guess they’ll both have to come out together.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Right OK.
Now I get it.
I thought you just wanted to replace the rod, but it appears you want to replace the whole assembly.
Gulp :shock:
You still need to remove the rod first as I described, but to get at the housing you need to remove the headlight, which means removing the upper fairing, which in turn means removing the lower fairing panels in order to get at some of the mounting nuts.
Once you've pulled the headlight forward, you'll find the assembly bracket will just pull out after you've removed the bolts.
With the headlight in situ there is not enough clearance to get it out between the headlight and fairing subframe.
I wouldn't start faffing about with springs.
That'd be a nightmare.
Just replace the unit as one piece.
Remove the fairing infill panels and clocks first then have a good look in there with a torch.
That's the only way you'll make sense of it.
It is fairly simple, but very fiddly, especially the reassembly stage.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3113034706

Eiledon
Forum User

Postby Eiledon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 am

You are completely correct andys, and I wish I had seen your latest before I got ambitious. In hindsight, it is not so big a pain, but working from procedures I got from a helpful bmw dealer three states away from me I madea bit of a meal out of it. Its done now, and if I have to do it again, I can probably eliminate a number of things I did. I think once the fairings were removed, I might have gotten away with just removing the rod and one nut and washer to remove the headlight. :-({|= oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the help

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:20 pm

I might have gotten away with just removing the rod and one nut and washer to remove the headlight. :-({|= oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the help
You'd still have had to remove the fairing because the headlight is wider than the aperture.
Anyway glad it's sorted.

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”