throttle cable

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

dave c
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bristol England

throttle cable

Postby dave c » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi everyone, can someone please tell me how to replace my left hand lower throttle cable on my r1150r it looks like it goes to a junction box underneath the battery box. and this looks a real pain to remove. any help would be appreciated. many thanks. Dave

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: throttle cable

Postby windmill john » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 pm

More knowledgable chappies will be along as I think the junction was slightly different on my 850GS; it was a while ago., can’t remember fully.
I would highly recommend removing the junction box, because it will probably need a clean and lube.

I think it slides out from the right once you’ve removed the World!

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Dave,

There were two types of Throttle/Choke Cable arrangements on the Oilheads:

1. The early Oilheads (pre- 1996 I think) used the TWO cable system (one Choke cable to the LH Throttle Body (TB) and one Throttle Cable from the Throttle Grip to the LH TB and over to the RH TB).
This arrangement can be identified by there being THREE cable adjusters on the LH TB and ONE cable adjuster on the RH TB.

2.The later Oilheads used a FOUR cable system (One Choke Cable to a Bowden Box under the Battery, one Throttle Cable from the Throttle Grip to the Bowden Box, two Throttle Cables from the Bowden Box to the LH and the RH TBs).
This arrangement can be identified by having one ONE cable adjuster on each TB.

It sounds like you have the later arrangement on your R1150R.

The following video (in two parts) by Chris Harris should explain all you need to know:

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybHjEbUa2NA
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32IqXlWOhzM&t=25s

Take a photo of the Bowden Box BEFORE you take it apart so that you get it back together correctly.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

dave c
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bristol England

Postby dave c » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 pm

many thanks galactic greyhound. I have watched the Chris Harris videos and they are very informative especially if your learning how to swear better, only joking he is good fun. now to put in practice. cheers Dave.

sykospain
Forum User
Country of Residence: Spain

Postby sykospain » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 am

Those two vodeodis that Ced pointed you at are the biz - several years old but I love the look on the face of Chris's assistant of the time, Sean:-
"If you don't stop pontificating to that camera and picking at me, I'm going to wrap this cable round your neck..."

And good advice is never to try to dismantle the fast-idle lever assembly on the handgrip - coz if you do, the tiny ball-bearing inside will make a mad leap for freedom into the darkest corner of your workshop, never to be seen again.

Similarly with the female Quick Disconnect fuel-line connector. There's an even smaller shouldered pin and a miniscule spring held captive by the sliding plate with the thumb press on it. Once that slider comes right back and disengages from its shouldered pin - ping - goodbye - new connector needed.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am

Chris did say he would rather rebuild a rear drive than change a throttle cable system.....but I found it pretty basic and simple, once you work out exactly what needs doing.

I did find it odd that the junction box is unsealed and simply wedges in under the battery box. Obviously worked well for thousands of bikes, for millions of miles though.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”