Suffolk; looking for independent garage

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Murphy
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Suffolk; looking for independent garage

Postby Murphy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:47 pm

We’ve just had a BMW main dealer open nearby but I have to admit to a mild allergy to all main dealers on the basis that they have targets and franchise costs and all that jazz that, TBH, I don’t want to pay for. I am happy to pay for high quality, solid, sensible work.
Does anyone know of a sensible outfit in Suffolk or North Essex?

Murphy
Forum User

Re: Suffolk; looking for independent garage

Postby Murphy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 am

Or anywhere in East Anglia!

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:29 am

What work are you wanting to have done....something specific, routine servicing? I don't know of anyone in your neck of the woods, but then again I don't live down there! :lol:

When I first bought my 1200ST, I wanted it to have a thorough going-over by an indy - I've got the same aversion to main dealers as you have! I phoned Rainbow and got a quote for the work....got up off the floor....then booked it in at RGM on the other side of Manchester. Whilst not exactly local, 90 miles each way, Roy's price meant that I could have a night in a local pub, a cracking breakfast the next morning, a 5-minute ride to his premises, then a couple of hours at a cafe within walking distance, reading the paper and drinking excellent coffee while Roy did his thing, and still save money. Taking everything into account, I was around £70 in-pocket compared to Rainbow's quote! :grin:

If there's no one local-ish to you, a little road trip might be the way forward! :smile:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Murphy
Forum User

Postby Murphy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:38 am

Unfortunately the shaft drive/finaldrive joint has suddenly developed a ‘weep’and as Haynes says that this is beyond the scope of the book I felt it needed someone who knew their arse from their elbow. As a result its booked into the local main dealer :pale:
Like you, I’d be happy with distance if I knew where!

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”