'82 R100RS headlight ears

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

r75boxer
Forum User

'82 R100RS headlight ears

Postby r75boxer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Hello all. Does anyone know whether the headlight ears on an '82 R100RS are the same colour and texture as the headlight pod? I am in the process of turning my R100 back to OEM and would like to be correct on paint. Also, if I'm not mistaken the R65 ('87 version and perhaps others) had the same colour setup. The original pod was black with a matt/grainy texture. Were the ears the same?

Kevin
'71 R75/5
'58 R26
'51 R67

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: '82 R100RS headlight ears

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:52 am

The 'RS doesn't use headlight ears in the same way that the unfaired machines do. There is a fairing support bracket that bolts to the front of the headstock and includes the headlamp mounts. This is coated in the same finish as the vehicle frame which, on your machine, should be a smooth 'satin' finish black. Only the headlamp shell (bucket... pod... whatever) has the crackled black finish. The R65 setup is different using a bracket that bolts to the upper and lower steering yokes... the headlamp is also smaller so there is no parts compatibility.

When fitting the fairing/headlamp support bracket on the frame, be aware that the bolts are M8 x 1 (which is to say 'metric fine') rather than the more usual M8 x 1.25 used elsewhere on the bike. They also shouldn't exceed the 12mm length of the originals and should always be fitted with the flat and wave washers otherwise they may foul the steering stem...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

r75boxer
Forum User

Postby r75boxer » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:31 pm

Thanks.

Rob, my RS doesn't have the faring and according to the fellow I bought it from never had. It does have the RS seat, is registered as such and does have headlight ears. Could this have been altered or an option? The ears are shorter than those found on the /5 owing to the smaller bucket on the R100. That is, they don't reach as far forward.

As for my R65, it appears to have the same setup with short ears and crackled black bucket.

Kevin
'71 R75/5
'58 R26
'51 R67

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am

HI,

I feel it is very unlikely that a 'RS came from the factory without a fairing. It is much more likely that the fairing was removed by a previous owner... After all, by 1983, the only substantial difference between a R100 and R100RS was the fairing. Why would anyone spend 'RS money to get a basic machine? Not everyone likes the seating position and many 'RS machines have, over the years, been stripped. That being said, the 'ears' on the naked '82 machines are the same as those introduced on the /6 machines and, yes, they are shorter than the /5 ones which also allow for a narrower headlamp nacelle. On all stock machines these were gloss black as far as I'm aware. I've never seen them finished in the crackled black finish used on later headlamp shells.

As far as the seat goes, I don't know whether you are referring to the dual seat or the 'single' seat (aka the one and a half seat... you can carry a pillion but only if you're willing to get up close and personal). If the former, then this was standard on all road models (except R45/R65 and R80ST) after about 1980 when the type with a grab rail was discontinued. If the latter, then my information suggests that this was only supplied as standard, even on the 'RS, up to 1979, after that it would have been an option available on all models.

Concerning the R65, I was possibly a little hasty and assumed you were referring to a model concurrent with your 'RS. The early R65 models (78 to 84) have a headlamp assembly as described in my earlier post. In 1985, however, when the model was reintroduced as a monoshock machine, all BMW did was to put a 650cc motor in a R80, all of the rest of the bike (ok, not including the bevel ratio and the speedo ratio) was identical. It may be relevant to mention that the headlamp shell and ears used on the monoshock machines, while very similar to those used from 1974 to 1984, are not the same and aren't a straight swap. (The headlamp unit itself is identical)...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

r75boxer
Forum User

Postby r75boxer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks again Rob. I do have the so-called up close and personal single/one and a half seat. It's likely that the faring came off at some point and probably not by the original owner. If you recall, from an earlier post, this is the bike with the Dellorto carbs (as fitted to the R90S) and frame bracing. So, it was clearly modified in many aspects.

Kevin
'71 R75/5
'58 R26
'51 R67

John Marshall
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby John Marshall » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 pm

I have only ever seen gloss black headlamp ears which are themselves quite pricey an item to replace..Do you therefore have the ignition switch mounted on the let hand side? I miss my RS with the central ignition switch in the fairing but not the touch and go front brakes nor that wretched rear disc. The key fobs tend to flap on the side mounting version.I put some 3M paint protective film over to stop it wearing the paint away.

r75boxer
Forum User

Postby r75boxer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:44 pm

No. With the shorter ears there really isn't much room for an ignition switch. Mine is centrally located. I know what you mean about the switch on the side allowing a key chain to flap in the wind.

Kevin
'71 R75/5
'58 R26
'51 R67

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”