Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

snowy
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

COCKPIT FAIRING

Postby snowy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi Gents
Words of advice please, I intend to refit the cockpit or sports fairing to my bike, it came loose with the bike, I have all the parts to fit but I am not sure of the sequence of spacers/rubber support washers and the other small bits that make up the fitment to the indicator stalks.
I have looked at the OEM drawings available but am still not 100% as to how they fit.
I don't want to stress the fiberglass moulding too much fitting then removing because I had made a mistake in fitting the bits and pieces, I did break 1 taking it off once, dubious about doing that again!.
Can somebody/anybody take or have a pic of the fitted fairing that I can look at?.
This will be another R80 mono with the seibenrock conversion fitted ready for the road.
Next project is the box of bits R100 that I have.
Got to keep grey cell engaged!
cheers
Snowy

Peter_T
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: COCKPIT FAIRING

Postby Peter_T » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:21 am

S Fairing outside.jpg
From another post:

To avoid cracking the fairing when stretching it over the second turn-signal stalk, please follow the instructions below:
• Place the black rubber washer on the stalks and bring it onto the thicker portion of stalk.
• Install fairing on one of the stalks ( the hole of the fairing will reach past the skinny part of the stalk) This is required to allow the fairing to stretch over the other stalk. The fairing will only stretch by very little before it cracks, believe me, mine caused a small crack because I thought the U-shape washer belongs on the outside, NOT SO!
• Next, place eccentric washer over stalks into fairing on both sides.
• Make adjustments to the eccentric washer and secure the top brackets
• Move the black rubber washer (on the inside of the fairing) and slip it over the eccentric washer on both sides. There is only 4mm of the eccentric washer poking out so just wiggle it in place.
• Install the U-shaped washer, from the top, over the black rubber washer on the inside. This secures the U-shape washer to ride up against the wider part/edge of the stalk.
• Place thick metal washer on the outside up against the eccentric washer.
• Install turn signals ( PLEASE note that the turn signals have different depths so make sure you install the correct signal casings to make sure the clamp will secure properly.
- Voila, job done!
The U-shape washer is designed for a specific reason to be installed after the fairing is in place. This washer can not be installed first as it creates to much washer thickness so stretching the fairing is impossible. The fairing needs to filt over the thicker portion of the stalk initially.
See final pictures of inside picture and an inside picture taken from underneath showing the U-shaped washer. The outside pic shows the thick 3mm washer between eccentric washer fairing and turn-signal.
If the 3mm washer is on the inside, the fairing would not have been able to stretch over the stalk. If you did however, I am surprised your fairing has not cracked below the hole as you pull on it. The fairing can not be stretched 2"! It will crack!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Restoring a 1978 R80/7

kettle738
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby kettle738 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:40 am

Excellent write up...

snowy
Forum User

Postby snowy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks Peter
Just the job, will attempt to fit Friday as taking gran daughter out to dinner tomorrow.

snowy
Forum User

Postby snowy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Success Peter, thanks for your comprehensive instructions, cockpit fairing almost fitted, got to remove my new handlebars and either fit smaller or bigger ones as the master cylinder and mirror prevent 100% fitment.
thanks once again

krankshaft
Forum User
Country of Residence: switzerland

Postby krankshaft » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi, snowy
I took the fairing off my mono R80RT and eventually mounted the R90s cockpit
and /7 bars were a great fit. There's not much space above the brake reservoir, but it works.
I also used standard length indicator stalks instead of the long ones and it looks ok.
Hope this helps.
Ride safe
Jim

snowy
Forum User

Postby snowy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Jim
I look into the /7 bar sizes tomorrow, I have some new Renthal bars, wide fit, to suit my bulk ha ha.
cant use narrow bars, don't feel right to me, in my youth they would have been ok but at 73 and a phat person, the wider the better.
cheers pal

krankshaft
Forum User
Country of Residence: switzerland

Postby krankshaft » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Yes, Snowy, I know what you mean. The /7 bars did feel a bit narrow at first, especially as I'd
been riding with the RT bars with no fairing before I mounted the cockpit, but I soon got used to it.
There is a pic of my bike on this thread. https://www.bmbikes.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20962
Good luck with it.
Jim

vmx1200
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby vmx1200 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:05 pm

The /7 bars did feel a bit narrow
try riding an RS as someone here correctly said it is like riding in handcuffs :shock:
1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

ts
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norway

Postby ts » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm

. . try riding an RS as someone here correctly said it is like riding in handcuffs
Yes - or it could be re-phrased as it's an exercise in counter-steering, . . at least when you're rolling
ts
===========
'73 R75/5, '78 R80/7, '83 R80RT

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”