R80/R850R

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

mobydick
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

R80/R850R

Postby mobydick » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:32 pm

I'm in no rush but hoping by Summer to have purchased a naked R80 Mono. I ran them for 20 years and gave excellent service.
However surfing the net the R850R has caught my eye and what reviews I found seem to pronounce it a sound bike. Broadly speaking prices are very similar for either, as good R80's are going up in price.
I would be interested in your comments as the newer modern bike does seem to have a lot going for it in the handling and braking dept. and something I really like is the handle bar switch gear similar to the K's. with left for left and right for right indicator switches.
A good time to buy I'm guessing.
1980 50cc Motobecane 1954 350 IZH49

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: R80/R850R

Postby windmill john » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:14 pm

I’ll give you a simple, as far as I’m concerned, answer.

The Oilheads are lovely bikes to ride. I’ve had an 1100 and an 850GS.

The Airheads are much easier to work on. It all depends on how much mileage you intend to do, own maintenance....

There’s no answer there :grin:

Okay, here’s the answer :roll:

I do like the 850. Being an Oilhead, you don’t have to tweak them as often, but when you do, there’s more to move out of the way.

Still no answer!

Okay, it’s a good bike, I think the Airhead version is easier for home maintenance.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Tweety Pie, my F650GS
Ari, my 500 Classic
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi
I think there are two different 850s, 5 speed, cable clutch and 6 speed, hydraulic clutch. One has abs as well I think

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

andyb
Forum User

Postby andyb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Interesting you ask about the R850 as I recently looked at one to replace my R100R....but I decided against it. Part of that decision was due to the corrosion levels on that particular bike which were much higher than I had expected. The painted alloy was flaking badly and steel components like the fork tubes were rusting.

Other reasons against it were:
Weight of the bike. 20kg more than my R100R.
Tiny pannier size on one side due to the high level exhaust
Little protection from front mudguard - badly corroded exhausts from road spray

Positives. Low seat and it felt like the tank shape would throw air around my knees.

Unsures. Complexity for servicing.

The R850 was always supposed to have a less snatchy engine than the R1100 bikes and if you find a nice one it will always resell if you decide it is not for you.
AndyB
R100R work-day-bike
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone fun-day-bike

mobydick
Forum User

Postby mobydick » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:10 pm

Yes Andy the ones I looked at on the net do in some cases show lots of corrosion in the areas you mention. The heads of many of the fixings have rusted and over painted with silver paint which seems to emphasise there deterioration. I have had a few K series bikes, also painted, which seem to weather better. I wonder if BMW by then was using poorer quality aluminium which required silver paint. My old R80's which were every day hacks that stood out in all weathers still kept there appearance after a soapy wash.

Looking on You Tube the battery is fun to check but modern Gel type are long life and reliable.

Have just finished reading a positive appraisal of the bike in a 1996 edition of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure by Bruce Preston who, in my opinion, always gave a sensible over view of a bike inline with my thinking and despite the above comments I do fancy one.

I see you have a Guzzi. I also looked at the 750 Brevia, not dissimilar in spec. plenty for sale at fair prices but have always had good service from BMW's over 30 years so will bide my time and see what comes up.
John
1980 50cc Motobecane 1954 350 IZH49

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:35 pm

I find it quite interesting how many Oilheads have issues with the exhaust bolts in the head. I guess they can be hidden and ignored.
Small point, but if I had one again, I’d occasionally undo the nuts and copper grease.

I looked at the Breva. Very small sump, very low oil quantity, so you need to watch oil levels.
As long as you know the history, it wouldn’t put me off.
Last edited by windmill john on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweety Pie, my F650GS
Ari, my 500 Classic
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.

andyb
Forum User

Postby andyb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi Moby,
I had a 750 Breva before my current 2014 V7 and they are very different bikes although a lot of the basic parts are the same.

The Breva engine has 2 throttle bodies while my V7 is 1TB which makes servicing a bit simpler. I took my Breva to NZ and we toured on it 2 up with camping gear. My wife liked the rear seat which is slightly raised but has the passenger footpegs at a low enough level to give her good leg room, and the bike was comfortable on the NZ roads. Fuel burn was about 65mpg and the only problem it had was a slight flat spot at 4000rpm which was about 60mph in top - which I never got rid of and a dealer with diagnostic equipment could also not sort out. I have not heard of that problem on other Brevas.

The Moto Guzzi 750 bikes are lighter than BMWs and physically smaller. Which can be good or bad depending on your size.

As I am sure you realise, the R80, R850R and Breva are all good solid bikes that will do high mileages - but all are getting a little old now so there will be good and bad ones around.

Why an R80 and not an R100? I had an R80R before my R100R and the little extra power of the R100R is useful on modern roads. The R80R / R100R have K switchgear more modern suspension and brakes

AndyB

Note to John W - the oil capacity in my V7 is 2L and I think it is the same in the Breva. I can’t remember it using oil but I always used the recommended 10/60 synthetic. I have read of bikes drinking oil but I think one possible cause was owners using 10/40?
R100R work-day-bike
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone fun-day-bike

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi Andy,

I know when I was looking, some reviews said that the capacity was 1. something litre in the sump so needed to be watched.
More than happy to listen an owner’s perspective.
Tweety Pie, my F650GS
Ari, my 500 Classic
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:03 pm

Andy, I have PMd you.
Tweety Pie, my F650GS
Ari, my 500 Classic
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi
I had an R80R and replaced it with a R100R but looked at an 850R at the time. 100R's were dearer than 850R's. The 100R is generally better than the 80R. Sometimes I found in traffic I could not make my mind up what gear to be in on the 100 compared to the 80.

IIRC the 850 R, which I have not ridden for 15 years, has the power & torque higher up the rev range although there is about 10 hp more than the 100R

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”