Insurance Premium

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Insurance Premium

Postby george baker » Thu May 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi
I pay about a hundred quid to insure the R 1991 & K 1987 agreed value over total £4K

For the same cover of an F650CS 2002 uk spec registered in the uk in 2004 valued at £1500 I have been asked over 300 quid.

Is the 300 quid a reasonable premium? Why the disparity?

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Insurance Premium

Postby milleplod » Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi George.

Insurance companies are generally beyond me, but no doubt 'statistics' play a part in how they rate the 2 bikes so differently. Perhaps more people crash the 650 than the K? :-k Perhaps more people of your age crash when riding a 650 than a K? :???:

My 1200ST costs me £70 for the year, and has been much the same for the last 4/5 years. Our Merc R500 cost less to insure than our diesel Citroen estate, possibly because there are only 20-odd of them on the road so they don't figure too highly in the dreaded stats!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu May 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi
I know what you mean but the logic defies me, lower value, lower performance bike, similar repair (well write off) cost

70 quid for a 1200ST is out of proportion with £300 for a 650cc lower value bike

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Thu May 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Changing the subject, but not really! Both of your insurances sound very good to me!

I pay about £400 a year for a Nissan Micra and was two bikes on a Carole Nash six wheels policy. Car for me and my wife, bike just for me.
Yes it includes overseas, but your two bikes for £100 George.... wow!

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - Has gone. No, not talking about it.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Thu May 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi
I know what you mean but the logic defies me, lower value, lower performance bike, similar repair (well write off) cost

70 quid for a 1200ST is out of proportion with £300 for a 650cc lower value bike

George
Yep, it does seem weird! Actually, this year's was £72, but I did it through the Quidco website so will get £26 cashback in 90 days! :grin: I've used Quidco before for insurance, the cashback isn't always so good, but it never fails to pay out.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”