Where are the electric bikes.

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Where are the electric bikes.

Postby andys » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 pm

The question I asked was why are the mainstream manufacturers avoiding electric bikes.
BMW have just introduced an electric scooter.
Great.
That's a start, so why no a full size bike.

Jockboxer
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Jockboxer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 pm

The question I asked was why are the mainstream manufacturers avoiding electric bikes.
Great.
They are currently selling as many petrol powered bikes as they can make. That will not change until either ...

1. Someone designs an electric bike with similar performance and similar profit margins.
2. The EU or California (it will not be Trump's federal regime) forces them to make them by banning petrol engines.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 am

Interesting, because Harley Davidson have promised that their full size electric bike will be on the showroom floors next year.
I'll believe that only when I see it.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

Great.
Simply because their market analysis says that it will not be profitable for them at this time. The scooter gives tham a relatively inexpensive way of testing the water and doing much of the R & D which will be applicable in principle to larger machines. They certainly ain't going to tell you or me about their plans until they are ready tp make a move on the market.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Simply because their market analysis says that it will not be profitable for them at this time.
Rob
But yet small operations like zero and energica, who have a tiny fraction of the financial and technical resources of companies like Honda and BMW, seem to be making a profit out of electric bikes.
Well I assume they're not doing it just for fun.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Simply because their market analysis says that it will not be profitable for them at this time.
Rob
But yet small operations like zero and energica, who have a tiny fraction of the financial and technical resources of companies like Honda and BMW, seem to be making a profit out of electric bikes.
They obviously have a different market analysis profile.... it remains to be seen whether their business model stands the test of time...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 am

Rob
They obviously have a different market analysis profile.... it remains to be seen whether their business model stands the test of time...

Rob
The point is that manufacturer's always want to been seen to be embracing the future.
It's necessary PR even if its a loss making exercise.
I'm absolutely certain that if a shed build industry (relatively speaking) like Zero, can produce and sell an electric motorcycle, then big manufacturer's like BMW most certainly could.
Easily.
The only reason they're so conspicuously absent is because they see the day's of the motorcycle coming to an end.
I hope I'm wrong

IanB
Forum User

Postby IanB » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Following chasbmw's recommendation here I tried recently to get a test drive in an i3, only to find my local dealer was very discouraging. Asking around, though, it seems there is real resistance to electric vehicles from dealers in general because they require so much less servicing - which is apparently more lucrative to your average car dealer than sales. This may be the bottleneck in the system - only when they have found ways of making electric cars more expensive to run will dealers want to sell them. Either that or purchase price will go up pretty steeply. It reminds me of what happened when digital cameras came in - the purchase price had to go up not just because of the technology, but to compensate the dealers for all the film they were no longer selling and processing.

But soon after that we all started buying online anyway, so bye, bye local camera shops. Perhaps we will soon be buying our cars online and bye, bye car dealers. Now there's a thought... :shock:
1992 R100RS Mono - modified a bit

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Following chasbmw's recommendation here I tried recently to get a test drive in an i3, only to find my local dealer was very discouraging. Asking around, though, it seems there is real resistance to electric vehicles from dealers in general because they require so much less servicing - which is apparently more lucrative to your average car dealer than sales. This may be the bottleneck in the system - only when they have found ways of making electric cars more expensive to run will dealers want to sell them. Either that or purchase price will go up pretty steeply. It reminds me of what happened when digital cameras came in - the purchase price had to go up not just because of the technology, but to compensate the dealers for all the film they were no longer selling and processing.

But soon after that we all started buying online anyway, so bye, bye local camera shops. Perhaps we will soon be buying our cars online and bye, bye car dealers. Now there's a thought... :shock:
Interesting point.
That would certainly be the case with bikes, where margins are quite small
We're talking a few hundred, rather than a few thousand pounds, meaning that dealers are dependent on quite a high volume of unit sales in order to stay in business.
The real profit is in servicing, accessories and clothing.
There have been a few electric bikes, and scooters, but on a very small scale.
Wax lyrically all you like about them, but the fact remains that no one wants electric bikes.
Even electric scooter sales have bombed.
If the demand was there, we'd be seeing them in far greater number by now.
Pity really.
I like the idea of electric propulsion, but it's just not ecologically and financially viable.

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”