Riding in groups

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Riding in groups

Postby raesewell » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:40 pm

For me it's about picking the people you ride with very carefully. It's a good idea to match riding abilities and style to make a good group ride.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Rae
yep you told me I am too slow to be invited to ride with you, but that is OK with me cos I get scared easily.

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Nothing personal George, as you well know I have a lot of time for you and would be happy to meet up and have a chat anytime. Just not the riding part, I like to get out of second gear occasionally :razz: :razz:

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi
nothing personal taken
George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi Rae
yep you told me I am too slow to be invited to ride with you, but that is OK with me cos I get scared easily.

George

You'll outlive all of us George! :lol:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Rae

George

You'll outlive all of us George! :lol:
The point isn't to get from A to B as quick as possible but but to enjoy the ride :smt055 You certainly weren't the slowest on the group rides from what I remember and we must have done a fair few over the years :grin:
Living the dream :sunny:

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Never understood the appeal.
I do sometimes ride with a couple of friends, but I can't think of anything less appealing than riding in a big herd with a bunch of stranger's
What am I missing ?
I’ve done lots of it in my youth, going to rallies, but I tried it a couple of times in this last year and I hate it!

The last run, just six bikes, what a shambles. It all ended up okay, but I came close to just turning off somewhere and leaving them, several times.

Why do some people seem incapable of simply keeping up with the rest, 60mph, good A roads, but insist on slowly dropping back further and further??

Why do some insist on overtaking traffic in built up areas, 30 zones, like we are in some emergency, then have to pull over and wait for the slower ones, while all the cars they overtook pass us all again as we regroup?

Nope, not my cup of tea, I have no interest in leading, or following, because I spend half my time and concentration keeping an eye on their people and not my own safety and enjoyment.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Why do some people seem incapable of simply keeping up with the rest, 60mph, good A roads, but insist on slowly dropping back further and further??
I did chuckle when I read that.
It's so true.
People unable to maintain even a moderate pace can be as irritating at those who want to bugger off at every opportunity.
That sinking feeling when you ride as slow as is reasonable to accommodate them, only to see them drop further and further back.
Then on faster roads, when they won't overtake that tractor, even with a clear road ahead as far as the eye can see.
Nope.
Not for me.

HughMcQ
Forum User

Postby HughMcQ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:41 pm

One advantage of groups - if you have a breakdown (or worse) at least a couple of others are on hand to help. This is especially useful if touring abroad and others in the group have a better grasp of the language...and usually at least one of you will remember to drive "on the wrong side of the road" as Michael Caine would say.....

You could also argue that riding with someone faster than you and taking you beyond your comfort zone is the way to develop your skills but I don't think the road is the best place for that - do that on a track day.

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 am

None of this is helped by the fact that car drivers under 35 seem to think that the speed you should drive at: 30 = 35, 40 = 35, 50 = 35 and 60 = 35 and that the middle lane on a motorway is the right one whatever the circumstance. That's half of them, the other half is: any legal speed = mach1 or as close as you can get

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:42 am

I did chuckle when I read that.
It's so true.
People unable to maintain even a moderate pace can be as irritating at those who want to bugger off at every opportunity.
That sinking feeling when you ride as slow as is reasonable to accommodate them, only to see them drop further and further back.
Then on faster roads, when they won't overtake that tractor, even with a clear road ahead as far as the eye can see.
Nope.
Not for me.
It's one of the reasons why I don't like riding in groups... however... I think, if you are going to ride with others, you have to accept that you are going to ride at the speed of the slowest. If you don't like it, why are you riding in a group!

The other thing to bear in mind is, if you are leading a group and averaging - say - 60mph, the tail ender is probably having to to 75 to 80 to keep up. Slight variations in speed get magnified as they pass backwards down the group (known as 'inchworming').

There is nothing wrong with riding below the speed limit if that's what a rider feels like and I would not personally criticise anyone for going a bit quicker. Anyone can ride slower but to expect a rider to go quicker than he or she is comfortable with is daft... to try and push them into doing it is criminally dangerous.

If you enjoy riding in a group, do it by all means, but don't try to force your standards on to others.

Rant over

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:12 pm

There is nothing wrong with riding below the speed limit if that's what a rider feels like and I would not personally criticise anyone for going a bit quicker. Anyone can ride slower but to expect a rider to go quicker than he or she is comfortable with is daft... to try and push them into doing it is criminally dangerous.

If you enjoy riding in a group, do it by all means, but don't try to force your standards on to others.

Rant over

Rob

We are not forcing anything on anybody! This is not hooning along fast A roads, scratching footpegs, just riding at the perfectly safe and legal speed agreed upon before we left. We all know each other, we all know what we are capable of, just some riders seem to forget what the hell is going on, like they go into some sort of trance once under way. And then the lead riders have to stop, to see where they are.

If they can’t keep up at 60 mph on straight roads, on fully capable machinery, then that is their problem, they should not join a group ride.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Agree.
No one is forcing anything, but at the same time it is not unreasonable to expect a rider with some experience and capable machinery, to be able to make decent progress.
Fact is that if it's safe to travel at or around the speed limit, you should be able to do so.
It would certainly be an expectation in the standard driving test.

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 am

Not intentionally wanting to resurrect an an old thread, but if you look at this video at 5 minutes 31 seconds into it, it describes a lot of thoughts that cross ones mind about riding in groups or alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viV67LjVJfU

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - Has gone. No, not talking about it.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:12 am

I had to smile at around 5m 40s - the obligatory 'I'm on an adventure bike....look at me standing on the pegs!'. :lol: It always gives me a chuckle. There's a local guy who rides a fully-loaded Varadero, I see him regularly at the local Morrisons. He always, always stands up as he follows the road into the petrol station, then parks on the right hand side of the pumps....and makes a big thing of climbing off the high side of his bike! :-k What's that about....other than him playing to a distinctly bemused audience?! :shock: One day he'll catch his foot on something and take a nose-dive onto the forecourt.... :grin:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am

Yes, he's doing that for other people's benefit.

I have sometimes stood on the pegs whilst abroad if I need to stretch after a long stint; and obviously off road too.
It's like bikes weaving when going down a straight road with traffic around. I've done it, but only when no one is around for my pleasure.

John
Last edited by windmill john on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nate
Forum User

Postby Nate » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am

One day he'll catch his foot on something and take a nose-dive onto the forecourt.... :grin:

Pete
The Germans actually have a word for that: Shadenfreude... there's no direct translation, but it roughly equates to the joy of witnessing an individual's discomfort brought about by their own stupidity. For me that would involve several of those plump multi-coloured lycra-clad fools becoming entangled, simultaneously, in their carbon fibre and plastic toys and hitting, hard, the carriageway they had been collectively blocking...

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Just yesterday I saw an idiot on a sports bike swaying dramatically from side to side giving the impression he was warming up his tyres race track style.
Yaaaawn.
I looked straight at him and just shook my head.

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:25 pm

There are plenty of young idiots on sports bikes that make you gasp while riding along and make you wonder if they will make it home. My favorite was one who got annoyed that I was apparently in the way of him lane splitting to get to where ever in hurry. I watched him nearly get squashed by a removal lorry and a bus then nearly run into the back of a postal van. When the traffic had slowed to an almost stop I filtered a distance to the front of the queue where he sheepishly slid in behind me as he had got stuck between two lorries. I think smug came to mind
Living the dream :sunny:

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:09 pm

For me that would involve several of those plump multi-coloured lycra-clad fools becoming entangled, simultaneously, in their carbon fibre and plastic toys and hitting, hard, the carriageway they had been collectively blocking...
I think cyclists get a bad rap.
I don't suppose you'd like to be lumped in with those racing leather clad, kamikaze sports bike pilots so often found buried in hedges this time of year.
Every group of road users has an element we would be embarrassed to be associated with.
For me it's the "polite notice" idiots.
I always make a point of nailing it past them, just to show them that their idiotic attempt to fool people into thinking they're plod doesn't work on everyone.
Anyway.
Here's a fellow rider who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a bike.

https://youtu.be/dNFaAqS2f18

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 am

For me it's the "polite notice" idiots.
I always make a point of nailing it past them, just to show them that their idiotic attempt to fool people into thinking they're plod

Well that’ll endear you to others on this site! Not!

My wife wears one of those when on her horse, makes her much more visible on country lanes. Yes, she could have bought a plain one, but everything helps.

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:32 pm

As time goes on hi viz becomes less noticeable because people have become accustomed to it so hi viz is less viz than it used to be.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Just yesterday I saw an idiot on a sports bike swaying dramatically from side to side giving the impression he was warming up his tyres race track style.
Yaaaawn.
I looked straight at him and just shook my head.
I was at a customers site years ago and one young man kept going on about the wear right to the edge of his tyres. A few weeks later I caught him grinding some new tyre edges down to make it look like he had been cornering hard. What a PLONKER. [-X
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm

As time goes on hi viz becomes less noticeable because people have become accustomed to it so hi viz is less viz than it used to be.

That maybe the case, but what you do get with a high vis on country lanes is a possible glimpse ahead of the time you actually meet with them.
Not every time, but anything to help visibility on roads where you often get dappled light, dark patches, sudden sun etc. Horses don’t have tail lights and headlights...

John

raesewell
Forum User

Postby raesewell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Unless the said country roads happen to be in between two fields of rape in full bloom :razz:

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”