Dashcam 'policing'.

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Re: Dashcam 'policing'.

Postby george baker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi
that list misses my 2 most hated,

1 drivers who join the motorway and force me to change speed and barge in. I would move to lane 2 if there was safe space but often these days there is not.
It happened to a mate a few years ago, no space to move out of the way, car close behind so he chose to keep on in the same direction at the same speed and a collision occurred, he had to drive on to safely stop on the hard shoulder. Him 30 ton truck, her small hatchback, you can guess the damage.

2 Car drivers who hassle me for driving at 20 in a 20mph zone, and there are loads of them around here

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:56 pm

There was a story here of a rider getting side swiped by a driver jumping a red light.
It was very early morning and there were no witnesses.
The driver tried to deny fault, but luckily the rider was using a helmet cam which clearly showed him riding through a green light at the time of impact, several seconds after they had changed.
That evidence was used in court and was the deciding factor in the outcome, which was of course in the riders favour.
Enough said I think.

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:34 pm

This offence is appropriate when the driving amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or aggressiveness in addition to some other inconvenience to road users.

So many drivers are not concentrated on their driving, that merely appearing in their field of vision is considered aggressive!
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 RS "Twin with a kick"

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 am

Cars have become extensions of our living rooms.
It's sad to see bikes going the same way.
Too many distractions and gimmicks, even mobile phone connectivity.
I know someone who regularly has phone chats when he's riding.
I despair of it all.

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Perhaps my original point was missed. :lol: It wasn't about the value of captured video that can help a driver or rider in an accident scenario, or similar - it was about the police encouraging motorists to submit footage of what they thought was 'bad driving'.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 pm

This is a private venture not a police one, the text below was copied from
the Nextbase website.

National Dash Cam Safety Portal Privacy Policy & Terms of Use

Please note Section 10 (Uploading content to our site) and Section 11 (Rights you licence) in our Website Terms of Use do NOT apply to this tool. Nextbase do not have access to see any videos uploaded or any of the personal information provided when submitting an incident.
Videos and Witness Statements uploaded and creating this tool are only viewable by the Police force to which they are submitted.
This portal is provided free of charge by Nextbase to all users and The Police.
You may use the NDSP to upload footage from any dash cam, action camera, mobile phone or any other type of camera from any manufacturer.
Please also see Egress’ Privacy Policy which is linked to at the bottom of the witness statement form.

From their FAQ page,

CAN I JUST SEND SCREEN SHOTS FROM THE VIDEO AS THEY CLEARLY SHOW WHAT HAPPENED?

Only if the images clearly demonstrate the offence being committed. Dependent on the offence, the Police may require the video footage of the whole incident. They may also need to see more of your journey so that they can understand the context of what happened.

WILL MY OWN DRIVING OR THE WAY IN WHICH I CAPTURED THE FOOTAGE BE SCRUTINISED?

The police will impartially review the footage which you submit and deal appropriately with all offences which may be disclosed. For example, if you were exceeding the speed limit in order to catch up with an offending driver and then proceeded to film them with your mobile phone whilst driving, the police would consider taking proceedings against you. There is no legal exemption allowing you to commit a driving offence in order to record evidence of offending by another driver.

The thought behind the idea is a good one, but I don't
think they have taken human nature into account.

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Well, its a private venture supported by quite a few police forces - however we view it (see what I did there..... :lol: ), its an invitation to wannabes to start policing the roads! :evil:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:30 pm

I shall wait with interest to see the outcome of the first prosecution based on this (if it ever happens). I still think the CPS (not the most progressive of bodies it has to be said) will take one look and say 'You're having a laugh!'.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:40 am

I know this is going to be an unpopular view, but I think self policing on the roads is a good thing.
As on board cameras become more the norm, perhaps even being fitted as standard one day, it might cause the type of person likely to drive dangerously to think twice if they know the chances of them being filmed is significant.

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

I was done for speeding and the courts refused to look at the video from my camera that clearly showed the speedo not being over 30 mph. They also chose to ignore the fact that a Smart car could not reach the claimed speed on the hill I was going up though I presented the maths all nicely laid out, they ignored the fact that I also proved mathematically that the camera was shining directly at the sun which is the large print in the operators manual.

4 points and a huge fine because I pleaded not guilty. Instead of believing all the facts that I laid down they chose to believe the policeman when he said he used it properly.

Do not get me started on this one. :mad:

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:37 pm

They also chose to ignore the fact that a Smart car could not reach the claimed speed on the hill I was going up.
Blimey.
Sounds like you were in a 30mph limit.
So what speed were you prosecuted for.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 pm

How steep was the hill??! :shock: :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Pete
It wasn't that it was the 80 yards or so from a standing start at the traffic lights that made it not possible. Ancient history now, endorsement off next year but I will remain bitter for the rest of my life. :)

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Pete
It wasn't that it was the 80 yards or so from a standing start at the traffic lights that made it not possible. Ancient history now, endorsement off next year but I will remain bitter for the rest of my life. :)
Ah, got you! I had visions of you trying to get it up a cliff face or something, bobby hanging over the edge waiting for you! :lol: Yes, I can imagine it would piss you off....

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Have you still got the footage ?
Be interesting to see it.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 pm

No, long gone. I did put it on DVD as they said that is how it needed to be in order to play in their equipment.

The problem was that there was no equipment to play it on in the court.

They really are hopeless. I defended a seat belt summons. The policeman said I wasn't wearing it and I should have been, I said I wasn't wearing it and did not have to be. I quoted the relevant paragraph form the road traffic act and they had no clue and no copy of it either, they asked me if I had brought a copy of the road traffic act for them to look at. I told them that as they wer prosecuting me under the act then I sort of figured they would at least have had a copy even if they were not familiar with it.

Not guilty on that one. :)

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 pm

I am just a crabby cantankerous old git that loves an argument even if I don't win. :)

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:15 pm

No, long gone.
Pity.
You could have made your case on social media.
Stories like that can go viral in hours, and it might have forced the authorities into a corner.
If it's as clear cut as you say, then the police and court's have behaved unethically, and exposing that may have made a difference.

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:27 am

Well, its a private venture supported by quite a few police forces - however we view it (see what I did there..... :lol: ), its an invitation to wannabes to start policing the roads! :evil:

Pete
I agree with you & as I drive HGV's for a living, often down weight/width restricted roads,
delivering animal feed around places like the New Forest, the thought that someone with a
dash cam can send in the footage to try & get prosecuted is more than a little worrying, &
that's without the ones trying to prove you are dangerous because they have no concept of
how to drive a large vehicle.

Sande

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”