Helmet advice

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

billington92
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Helmet advice

Postby billington92 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:00 pm

I need a new helmet, I’ve had my LS2 FF370 for over 5 years.

Should I go to a shop or buy online?

Where is the best place to buy online?

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Helmet advice

Postby gogs01 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 am

Do your research online. Get an idea of the features, safety rating etc. which appeal to you. Then find a shop with the largest range of helmets and spend lots of time looking and trying helmets on. It needs to fit and feel comfortably snug (hope that makes sense).
I suggest you then find another shop with a different range of helmets and repeat the process - again and again if necessary. Then, when you've decided on the helmet for you, go back to the shop where you tried it on and tell the salesman what it would cost you to buy it online. If he can get within 120% of that figure, buy it.
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:45 am

Do your research online. Get an idea of the features, safety rating etc. which appeal to you. Then find a shop with the largest range of helmets and spend lots of time looking and trying helmets on. It needs to fit and feel comfortably snug (hope that makes sense).
I suggest you then find another shop with a different range of helmets and repeat the process - again and again if necessary. Then, when you've decided on the helmet for you, go back to the shop where you tried it on and tell the salesman what it would cost you to buy it online. If he can get within 120% of that figure, buy it.
I concur.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 RS "Twin with a kick"

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Unless you know exactly what model, shape, size fits you perfectly, you can’t buy online and expect a helmet to fit and be comfortable, surely?
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Unless you know exactly what model, shape, size fits you perfectly, you can’t buy online and expect a helmet to fit and be comfortable, surely?
I think what's being suggested is to find the best fit etc in the shops, and then buy it on line.

andymcg
Forum User

Postby andymcg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 pm

The problem is if everyone buys online there won’t be any local physical stores to go to !
It's not grim up North!
since 1994 a R100R and from Oct 2015 "Walter" K75S, and from Aug 2016 R850R!

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 am

The problem is if everyone buys online there won’t be any local physical stores to go to !
Exactly.

jfcoleman

Postby jfcoleman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:39 am

I believe the advice given was not to buy online, but to do initial research online, then try in various shops, eventually narrowing down to your preferred choice. The advice ended with these words of wisdom ...
... when you've decided on the helmet for you, go back to the shop where you tried it on and tell the salesman what it would cost you to buy it online. If he can get within 120% of that figure, buy it.
In other words, the suggestion is we recognise that we may have to pay a small premium when buying in a shop, but it's worth doing so to maintain local retail businesses. Seems like good advice to me and, in fact, this is often how I go about making any kind of significant purchase; ie research online, but buy locally in a face-to-face encounter.
Regards,
Jim Coleman
(2008 R1200GS)

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 am

I believe the advice given was not to buy online, but to do initial research online, then try in various shops, eventually narrowing down to your preferred choice. The advice ended with these words of wisdom ...
... when you've decided on the helmet for you, go back to the shop where you tried it on and tell the salesman what it would cost you to buy it online. If he can get within 120% of that figure, buy it.
In other words, the suggestion is we recognise that we may have to pay a small premium when buying in a shop, but it's worth doing so to maintain local retail businesses. Seems like good advice to me and, in fact, this is often how I go about making any kind of significant purchase; ie research online, but buy locally in a face-to-face encounter.

Yes... but... in a way that's the same thing. What you're saying is that you expect the High Street retailer to match prices with online dealers (albeit with a small premium).

The first point is what happens if the retailer can't or won't match prices. Do you pay his price or do you shop online?

The second, and to my mind more important, point is that High Street retailers can't match prices with online sellers. The overheads of running a high street retail shop are such that, if they try to match prices, the profits are likely to be hit so badly that they go under anyway. The only thing that the High Street retailer can rely on to bring in custom is the service he provides in terms of advice and display. Neither of these are prime revenue sources.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a moralising post. It's entirely up to you whether you buy online or not. I'm just trying to make a realistic assesment of what is happening and what is likely to happen. Perhaps the High Street retailer is a dinosaur and doomed to extinction (in some areas, I would definitely rate them as an endangered species). Perhaps this is what needs to happen. Or just perhaps, we (as a society) need to impress on property owners that the age of sky high High Street rents and on Local Councils that sky high retail rates are a thing of the past and are ultimately self destructive. But then, other factors come in, such as the drive to convert retail and office premises to residential...

I don't know the answer but, I think the question comes down to whether we, as consumers, rate cheap prices as more important than service and advice. In the long run, I don't see both surviving.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

jfcoleman

Postby jfcoleman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Lest there be some misunderstanding here let me emphasise I wasn't advocating any particular line of action, but merely clarifying what gogs01 had said above. From my own personal perspective I did say that often when making a significant purchase I myself tend to research online but seek to buy locally in a face-to-face encounter. In any case it could be argued that a 20% difference on, say, a £400 helmet is a not insignificant sum as that would amount to £80.

More generally, I do agree that not everything should be reduced simply to what I call the 'cash nexus' and there are important societal, ethical and economic considerations to be borne in mind. Again speaking personally, I always prefer to deal with someone in person and rarely shop online - although I have found eBay useful in finding razor blades which Boots now refuse to stock!

And, for me, the benefits of shopping locally were proven to me only yesterday. I had a pair of extending garden loppers bought 3 years ago from B&Q. The anvil blade had sheared off and, although I could find neither receipt or guarantee, the local store offered a replacement. When we discovered the replacement came without extending handles (necessary for a shortie like me!) they simply swapped over the relevant blade enabling me to leave with a newly refurbished tool. Can't see that happening online!

Anyway, to stop this going entirely off-thread, to the OP (billington92) my advice re buying a helmet is definitely to buy in a shop - even if it costs a bit more than online it's impossible to put a price on a helmet which is safe and comfortable - and probably still only costs a fraction of any bike you'll be riding whilst wearing it.
Regards,
Jim Coleman
(2008 R1200GS)

CharlieVictor
Forum User

Postby CharlieVictor » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:06 am

"the question comes down to whether we, as consumers, rate cheap prices as more important than service and advice."

In theory, yes.
Unfortunately in my experience, service usually doesn't go any further than "hi" (if that), and advice is non existent as I have yet to meet a biking gear sales guy who knows his way around biking gear.

Having sais that, your analysis Rob, is bang on.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"

CharlieVictor
Forum User

Postby CharlieVictor » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:07 am

"the question comes down to whether we, as consumers, rate cheap prices as more important than service and advice."

In theory, yes.
Unfortunately in my experience, service usually doesn't go any further than "hi" (if that), and advice is non existent as I have yet to meet a biking gear sales guy who knows his way around biking gear.

Having sais that, your analysis Rob, is bang on.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Having worked in retail, albeit in a different area, I know how bloody difficult it can be dealing with knowledgeable people.
If you try and be helpful they interpret that as being pushy and / or condescending, and if you don't, they think you're ignoring them.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Having worked in retail, albeit in a different area, I know how bloody difficult it can be dealing with knowledgeable people.
If you try and be helpful they interpret that as being pushy and / or condescending, and if you don't, they think you're ignoring them.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Bit like being a policeman that! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”