So much for high security vehicles.

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

So much for high security vehicles.

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:10 pm

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: So much for high security vehicles.

Postby andys » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Confirmation of another pointless gimmick being more trouble than it's worth.
What exactly was the issue with using a key anyway.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 pm

I think that of all the crap they are installing now a dimming. timed interior light has to take the biscuit. The processing power you need to perform that task when a door operated switch that grounded a bulb worked fine for decades, just beggars belief.

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:52 am

I think that of all the crap they are installing now a dimming. timed interior light has to take the biscuit. The processing power you need to perform that task when a door operated switch that grounded a bulb worked fine for decades, just beggars belief.

I’m not saying I agree, but it gives you time on a dark night to find the key hole.
It’s like my wife’s old company car, it had coming home lights. When you got out and locked the door, the head lights would stay lit and fade out. Again giving you the opportunity to get to your door safely.

Like I said, not condoning it.... I still think ABS is superfluous, unless it is new and someone else is doing the work.
I’d rather have clever lights than variable height inlet tracts!
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am

When you live, as I do, in an area where there is no street lighting and negligible light polution, even ignoring the safety aspects, smart headlights are very nice. To press the 'open' button on the fob and get instant area illumination and to have time to get to the door before the headlights go out is good. Yes, there are other solutions but this one is very effective. That being said, I do think that keyless start systems are ill thought out and unnecessary.

It has to be said though, in their defence, that I've yet to see a keyed system that is any more secure and reliable. The sad truth is that anything human ingenuity can design, human ingenuity can get round. After all, the crooks are at least as intelligent as the designers (and, all to often are the same people).

All you can do is try and make it too inconvenient for the casual thief to bother and accept that, if someone really wants to get into your car and/or steal it, they're going to be able to do it no matter what security measures you adopt.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 am

I bought a set of lock picks as I didn't have a key to my bike. I have never picked a lock before and it took me under 10 seconds to turn the BMW on with the picks after less than a minute watching a you tube video. I was pretty gobsmacked at how easy it was.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Incidentally, if you really object to 'smart' headlights and (many other modern functions) they can often be switched off or have various parameters adjusted in the settings of the car accessible through the OBD II port.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:13 pm

No problem with smart headlights, they do serve a useful purpose, it's smart interior lights that I consider to be over the top.

Nate
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Nate » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:11 pm

All you can do is try and make it too inconvenient for the casual thief to bother and accept that, if someone really wants to get into your car and/or steal it, they're going to be able to do it no matter what security measures you adopt.

Rob
Indeed. And interesting to consider that with "target hardening", to use the proper term, making it harder to hot-wire a parked vehicle there has been a commensurate increase in home invasions (in order to steal the keys) and car-jacking where the vehicle is otherwise brought to a stop - keys handily already in the vehicle... When you consider that many vehicles are stolen not for resale or parts, but to be used in the commission of crimes it does mean that the person you meet nicking your wheels may not be the local TWOCker, but a rather more serious chap altogether.

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”