The future

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Re: The future

Postby CharlieVictor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Sounds like the real thing!
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 RS "Twin with a kick"

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Tincan3 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi Guys,
I often consult the forum for problem solving. Sometimes I have been able to submit contributions. There is no point for me to join the club since I am too far away for any meaningful interaction.
However, I am very happy to make a donation every year to keep the forum running.

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Mike D » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 pm

H George,
History -- and less future
* Phil had a primary business site-- he no longer needs it
* It had paid adverts-- afaik it brought in TENS of pounds a year-- and declining
* Phil had the "Information site" sort of as a hobby- it would make a good memorial
* Phil set up the Forum as an aside to his business and paid for it,
* When he made plans to retire he asked for donations
* Bills for the forum are around 300 quid a year- payed for a few more months
If you enter the BMBikes website (where the technical information resides), it quite clearly does have adverts, so not just his business site, plus the following comment from Phil:

'Apologies for all the advertising but it is essential to help with the costs of maintaining the website & forum'

There is also an existing Paypal donate icon, which when entered still appears to be active, however where any donation would end up is anyone's guess.

I certainly hope you and other members of the committee have some luck with gaining access and thus maintaining the critical technical information.

I have been speaking to Phil Kingston (probably Phil's olderst friend) and he also mentioned that the technical site had adverts to help pay for the forum.

Mike

IanG
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby IanG » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm not a member of the club and unlikely to join as I already belong to several motorcycle related clubs and have to draw the line somewhere. For the past few years I have donated to keep the forum going, when Phil asked, as I value it and want to see it continue. I'd vote for the existing methodology to continue. If an amount of the content was made members only I think it would change the forum for the worse.

Ian
1983 R100
1955 Norton ES2
1972 Norton Commando
2001 Honda VFR800
19** Understanding wife

Graeme
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England

Postby Graeme » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:59 am

Some forums allow access to "Technical" threads only to club members, but I agree with Rob when he says:
For my part, I worry that occasional contributors on the forum will not pay the proposed subscription and we will lose their input and also possibly their eventual membership of the club

Perhaps a 2 tier approach is needed, i.e. Full Club Members get complete access as part of their membership, but a new "Online Member" tier is set up at say £5 p.a. giving full forum access but nothing else?

After posting the above, it's great to see so many positive comments wanting to keep access open and free for all. It is, after all, being able to see and interact with all the technical content for free that made me join up in the first place and many others donate without joining.

Wow, a forum with positive vibes - how refreshing :grin:
Cheers,

Graeme

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 am

Hi
the club committee (and Phil's family that I have spoken to) want to keep the forum just as it was when Phil was alive, free, polite, friendly and positive

Adverts, site entwinement and where the Paypal button money goes to are for the future-- after we have access from the ISP

I think people should pay if they want to, -- and if they dont want to pay, then they should use it for FREE

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:01 pm

I think it would be nice to see it carry on as before. Its part of what makes it attractive and why i joined the forum.
I am sure that enough people here value it enough to donate to keep it running. If donations were not enough them i am sure the situation could be reviewed.
I dont think that the majority of forum members would want to see the forum close for the sake of a donation.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Happy to donate or pay a subscription to access the forum. May I suggest the formula that other fora use? Viz... a varying level of sub depending on what access is granted. The normal levels are access to sales and wanted ads as opposed to general access however, given the immense level of effort made by some members of this forum in responding to tech questions then this might also be considered for inclusion so sales / wanted plus tech questions = a sub and other general access for free?

My 2p worth! Or should that be £15 per annum? :D

Ruralman
Club Member 13

Postby Ruralman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi
good to hear views--

Here is what I THINK has happened, but Phil's interests were quite entwined

History -- and less future
* Phil had a primary business site-- he no longer needs it
* It had paid adverts-- afaik it brought in TENS of pounds a year-- and declining
* Phil had the "Information site" sort of as a hobby- it would make a good memorial
* Phil set up the Forum as an aside to his business and paid for it,
* When he made plans to retire he asked for donations
* Bills for the forum are around 300 quid a year- payed for a few more months

The club is trying to get rights to the forum so it can continue-- this would mean we could continue to run-- as is-- for the time being. Even if we get Legal rights we still may not have Access rights to the site code since Phil was the only one with the Access rights
As you can imagine, the club committee (who all knew Phil) have been working on this since late on the day Phil died

* Phil set up the club
* The club functions as a way of meeting up
* Club members pay for admin, ezine, insurance and gives us a cash buffer so we can arrange events, which usually break even
* Club members are usually among the first to donate to the forum
* There are a few areas of the site limited to club members -- mostly they are pointless and only to do with elections, events, ezine etc.
* Club insurance (£100's pa) is to protect the club in the event of an accident at an "Official Event"

PERSONALLY
I would like to see the club continue cos I have met some great folks through the club and enjoy the meets up!
I am happy to continue to pay my club membership £14 pa (AND donate) cos I think it is good value about 5 p a day
I dont want to change Phil's model if we can avoid it even if it costs ME money

If you think the forum is worth a shilling a day, or saves you £15 quid then why not join the club and ignore the meet ups? (More members mean more admin (insurance, cards, stickers etc) costs though

If you dont think 15 quid is good value just continue to use it for free

If we ever find a way to get a donate button working (Access is caught up in Phil's legacy) contribute what you think the site is worth
- £300/29 people mean we put in about a tenner each

George
Well done George for explaining the up-to date situation
What we need to make plain is that the Forum and the Club are separate entities
Though it’s Club Officials who are trying to sort out a way forward
I think that we all agree that the forum should continue but it will have to be funded
either by donations or by advertising or by the Club
My preference would be for the Club to cover funding of all sites
BM Bikes
BM Riders Club
but also allow donations on the Forum site
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Tony the Skin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England

Postby Tony the Skin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Does anyone know how many paid up members there are at the moment ?.
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R1200 RS LC
Harleys
MZ 251
Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi 100ish members atm
G

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:19 am

Hi 100ish members atm
G

How any who aren't British, Irish, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Spanish and Turkish? :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:19 am

Hi
I went to the forum members list at memberlist.php?mode=&sk=a&sd=a and counted club members if I got it right there are 61 paid up members. Peter is the only name who I recognise as not uk based

George

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”