Scary

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Scary

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:55 pm

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: Scary

Postby windmill john » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Bloody hell! Another crappy driver... but there are riders that bad too.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Bumble, my 700 Transalp.
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sundance, my 500T.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot, but Honda is also great.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 pm

I don't understand how he misread that bend.
Didn't appear to be using excessive speed.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 am

I agree. It is just such an horrendous accident given that the mistakes made were so trivial and easy to make. Wrong place, wrong time was never more applicable.

I do think that in a case like that my first reaction is not to brake it is to get out of the way but having the benefit of hindsight makes things easier to decide.

Best just taken as a warning to be careful out there.

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:44 am

I don't understand how he misread that bend.
Didn't appear to be using excessive speed.

He’s actually up to 65 going into the bend. Whilst not fast, it’s hard to tell from the video how sharp the bend is. A Go Pro on wide can distort; but I might be wrong. As already said, driver might have been distracted, but no excuse.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Bumble, my 700 Transalp.
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sundance, my 500T.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot, but Honda is also great.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:02 am

That video was posted also by Nutty Bikers, and I can only repeat my comment: Most times when riding a motorcycle, hard braking is NOT the first option when being suddenly confronted to a situation of "reduced horizon", contrary to when driving a car.

There was (little) time for the rider to either swerve left (and roll in the ditch) or swerve right cutting the incoming lane (as the rear camera shows there was no traffic coming). In this kind of sudden emergency situation, one will react on muscle reflexes, not thought through decision making. In this case, the rider hit the brakes, as he himself were in a car, which didn't help avoiding the collision.

Even if he had managed a full stop, the car driver would have not. The rider was a sitting duck.

That's why I find terrifying those instructors who teach to ride constantly with two fingers on the front brake lever... What it does is condition the muscle to this sole recourse: squeeze the lever when shit happens.
Rule of thumb should be front brake if you need to stop, rear brake and avoidance technique if you need to avert a collision.

I had a similar scenario (albeit in a village and at half that speed) happen to me a couple weeks ago. Incoming elderly driver blinded by sun turned wide into my lane... There was just a couple seconds to make the decision (probably less than in this video), and I swerved right and jumped on the low-curb sidewalk.
To this day I'm still wondering if the old guy ever saw me... At barely the speed limit of 50kph/30mph I could have safely stopped in my tracks, which however wouldn't have prevented the car from hitting my bike.

In my humble opinion a great discipline to learn how to perform avoiding/evasive actions is gymkhana. It teaches the limitations of one's motorcycle (far beyond what one usually thinks they are), instills techniques not taught at riding school, and helps build muscle reflexes other than hitting the brakes.
Last edited by CharlieVictor on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 650RS W3 Replica "Twin With a Kick"

kfrogzx7
Forum User

Postby kfrogzx7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:37 pm

He was wearing an air bag suit ( £1.5k worth ish ? ), which he attributed his survival to ...... how many of us ride in one of those ?
The police used the collision to further urge the wearing of appropriate protective clothing, failing to mention that conventional motorcycle gear probably wouldn't have saved him in this case !!
Simon
R1200st, R1100s, K100rs, R1150rs

CharlieVictor
Forum User

Postby CharlieVictor » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:35 pm

He was wearing an air bag suit ( £1.5k worth ish ? ), which he attributed his survival to ...... how many of us ride in one of those ?
The police used the collision to further urge the wearing of appropriate protective clothing, failing to mention that conventional motorcycle gear probably wouldn't have saved him in this case !!
Well, I fail to understand the connexion, since with an airbag vest he still broke his back and his sternum.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Well, I fail to understand the connexion, since with an airbag vest he still broke his back and his sternum.
Well, at least he survived I suppose... It's an interesting thing that, for everything, there's always another way of looking at it... I recall talking to an A & E doctor just after the helmet laws came in. He was quite adamant that the new use of protective gear was costing the National Health Srevice a fortune... according to him, they were getting a substantial number of bikers through with very severe bodily injuries, who would not have previously survived. The cost of trying to piece the smashed bodies back together to give the surviving brain an acceptable standard of living was phenomenal. Not that I'm advocating going back to riding without helmets or protective gear... but an observation like that, just because it's cold and calculating has nonetheless, an element of truth.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 am

Hi
No helmet equals lots of transplant bits
G
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:38 am

Well personally a helmet has never done me any good whatsoever in all the years I have been riding other than keeping my ears warm and my hair dry.

I am old enough to remember bikes before the laws were introduced and rarely rode without one then but not wearing one is an experience that I am glad I did not miss.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:41 am

I spent a year living in Thailand, riding a bike daily without a helmet. I was much younger but didn’t feel uncomfortable about it.

The ideal of riding free, wind in your hair, listening to the dull roar of your exhaust..... nah, anything above about 30 mph and wind roar over you ears is the only thing you can hear. :???:

I hope they don’t use this guys air bag suit as an excuse to force them on bikers in general. :shock: Leg protectors were an abomination that came very close to be compulsory once, hideous idea.
1997 BMW R1100R
1993 Honda Transalp 600

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am

Well personally a helmet has never done me any good whatsoever in all the years I have been riding other than keeping my ears warm and my hair dry.

I am old enough to remember bikes before the laws were introduced and rarely rode without one then but not wearing one is an experience that I am glad I did not miss.
I can safely say that I would have needed at least fairly major facial surgery but for a full face helmet... When you can see the track the chinpiece of the helmet made as it passed over the roof of the car that turned across in front of you it does tend to emphasise a certain perspective in these things :smile: ...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Well, at least he survived I suppose... It's an interesting thing that, for everything, there's always another way of looking at it... I recall talking to an A & E doctor just after the helmet laws came in. He was quite adamant that the new use of protective gear was costing the National Health Srevice a fortune... according to him, they were getting a substantial number of bikers through with very severe bodily injuries, who would not have previously survived.
NHS term for biker? "Donor". :grin:

CharlieVictor
Forum User

Postby CharlieVictor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 am

Well, at least he survived I suppose... It's an interesting thing that, for everything, there's always another way of looking at it... I recall talking to an A & E doctor just after the helmet laws came in. He was quite adamant that the new use of protective gear was costing the National Health Srevice a fortune... according to him, they were getting a substantial number of bikers through with very severe bodily injuries, who would not have previously survived.
"Organ donor" is also the inside slang for emergency services here.
Especially around Paris and the "boulevard périphérique" (our version of the circular), bikers, but more often scooter riders, get into heavy trouble and usually wear very little in terms of safety equipment. :???:
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:50 am

Not me. I opted out.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:00 pm

I don't argue with that... If the worst should come to the worst, that's cool! I ride a bike. I know the risks and I choose to take them.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:45 pm

As an aside, I was once in a similar position coming around a sharp left hand bend.
I was faced with a car on wrong side.
Luckily I managed to get right in to the left side and just missed it but it was close.
So close I heard the female passenger screaming.
If I'd been in the car I wouldn't have stood a chance.
All I suffered was some scratches on fairing from the brambles I rubbed up against.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 pm

As an aside, I was once in a similar position coming around a sharp left hand bend.
I was faced with a car on wrong side.
Luckily I managed to get right in to the left side and just missed it but it was close.
So close I heard the female passenger screaming.
If I'd been in the car I wouldn't have stood a chance.
All I suffered was some scratches on fairing from the brambles I rubbed up against.
I lost two good friends in exactly that situation, 15 years apart but both wooden boxed.

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”