Tom Tom app problem

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

mw3230
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Tom Tom app problem

Postby mw3230 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:01 am

I might be a bit of a cheapskate but instead of buying a motorbike satnav I've been using the TomTom app on my iPhone (mounted on a Ram mount) which has worked well. One problem is that it is necessary to have the phone on charge as the app uses battery power quickly.

I've installed a USB connector directly to the battery on my bike and use this to connect to the phone. My problem is that when connected although the iPhone shows the little symbol on the display to suggest that it is connected to a charger, the battery level still falls whilst I'm using the sat nav to the extent that after a couple of hours the phone is ready to switch itself off.

Has anyone any ideas what could be the problem. Is it likely that the USB connection isn't putting sufficient charge into the battery to offset the amount taken out by the sat nav app?. I'm now thinking about biting the bullet and forking out for a Garmin which would be a shame

My phone seems to be working correctly in all other respects
Formerly 2013 K1600GTSE, now 2017 GSA

Ruralman
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Tom Tom app problem

Postby Ruralman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:16 am

Hi I put an extension cable in to extend the power socket up to the handlebars, this powers my garmin car sat nav in a waterproof case on my R1200gsa, it works well.
Regards

Keith Hillier
BM Riders Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Re: Tom Tom app problem

Postby milleplod » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 am

I know virtually zilch about electrickery stuff, but I was having the same problem using my Nokia Lumia as a satnav - whichever charger I was using simply couldn't keep up with the drain on the battery when satnav was running.

Somebody pointed out to me that I needed a supply with more 'ooomph' - my in-car charger was only rated at 1A, so I swapped it for a 2A - that seemed to sort it, although tbh it seems to maintain the phone battery at its starting point once satnav is started, rather than put any extra charge into it....but I've only ever used it for relatively short periods of time. The main thing is that the battery's no longer discharging.

On the bike, I had a power supply connected to the battery that was rated at 1.5A - that was giving me the same problem (although I very rarely use satnav on the bike). I bought an uprated one, 2.1A, and that seems to do the same as the car one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301243609662? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The advantage of this one is that I can use a charge-only cable - I never realised that a lot of USB 'charge' cables are actually 'charge/data' cables, which actually restrict the charge rate by being capable of doing 2 different things. A charge-only cable ensures the full charge-rate. I use one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221626703641? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

mw3230
Forum User

Postby mw3230 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:50 am

Thanks for the info Pete - I've ordered the charge only cable and the higher rated USB power supply. Together the cost of the two is less than the cost of the soon to be redundant USB socket I bought from Nippy Norman and a lot less than the cost of a bike sat nav. I'll report how it's working in due course. As a bonus the USB connector from Ebay comes with a cable 1.8m long as opposed to the 1.2m on the Nippy Norman cable which was a touch too short to offer me much flexibility in where I fixed the socket

mw3230
Forum User

Postby mw3230 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:58 am

Update - following advice above I bought a 'charge only' cable to power my iPhone whilst using the TomTom app on the bike. Wow - the difference is remarkable. After a several hour ride yesterday I arrived at my destination with my phone fully charged and the sat nav working all the way. Thanks for the help everyone. £5 on a new cable vs 00's for a Garmin - no contest!

ps - also ordered a new USB socket but that hasn't arrived from China yet!

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Postby milleplod » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:54 am

Update - following advice above I bought a 'charge only' cable to power my iPhone whilst using the TomTom app on the bike. Wow - the difference is remarkable. After a several hour ride yesterday I arrived at my destination with my phone fully charged and the sat nav working all the way. Thanks for the help everyone. £5 on a new cable vs 00's for a Garmin - no contest!

ps - also ordered a new USB socket but that hasn't arrived from China yet!
Glad you got sorted! =D> My Chinese power supply took around 3 weeks - I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it tbh, nothing flimsy about it at all. It was a bit bulkier than I expected it to be, but I found somewhere to mount it under the tank plastics.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”