Used buyers beware...

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

waynem325

Used buyers beware...

Postby waynem325 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:52 pm

I've just received a new tyre I ordered over a week ago so rushed out to my local garage to have the old one replaced. It's worth mentioning that I've only had the bike 6 months or so and this will be the first tyre change for me and my RT.
It wasn't until the old tyre was removed that I got rather concerned (in a retrospective kind of way).

Not only had the tyre previously been filled with anti puncture slime (which was an unwanted surprise to the fitter), but at some point the tyre had been repaired with sticky string.

I've ridden the bike about 2000 miles, some of that with my wife as pillion. It doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened but I will be thoroughly checking the front tyre. ...I may even go as far as replacing it to play it safe.

Just a word of caution to others buying a used bike.

mw3230
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Used buyers beware...

Postby mw3230 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Tends to suggest that those methods of tyre repair are effective (if you choose to use/rely on them, a decision for the individual)
Formerly 2013 K1600GTSE, now 2017 GSA

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Maybe I'm a bit anal but I do examine my tyres after every ride to look for cuts or damage and for visual evidence of the (blue) slime that I use. Only takes a minute.
Keith
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
BMW K75C

waynem325

Postby waynem325 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Tends to suggest that those methods of tyre repair are effective (if you choose to use/rely on them, a decision for the individual)
Absolutely - certainly gives confidence if this method is used.

Maybe I'm a bit anal but I do examine my tyres after every ride to look for cuts or damage and for visual evidence of the (blue) slime that I use. Only takes a minute.
Keith
I must confess and say I'm lazy in this respect. I try and check before/after each ride but sometimes do forget.

I foolishly had a subconcious thought that the seller would have told me of any repair and assumed the tyres were undamaged. I didn't even think about it to be honest.

Lesson learned methinks?!!

IanB
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby IanB » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:02 pm

I read somewhere a while ago that the sticky string repairs are considered a permanent repair in Sweden (I think that's where they were invented, anyway), but not in the UK. I'd love to know if that's true, and if so, why the difference - they seem a pretty good system to me.
1992 R100RS Mono - modified a bit

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”