Textile clothing

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

Global864

Textile clothing

Postby Global864 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Does anyone have any advice about good quality, BREATHABLE, textile clothing please?
I've struggled on for years with a Frank Thomas jacket and trousers, and for the price I really shouldn't complain. Its warm and waterproof. BUT, its also like putting on a plastic bag, and I just stick to the inside.
I've looked at gore tex suits, but they are hideously expensive.
Are there any textile suits out there that are reasonably priced and that do actually breath and keep the water out.
I'm willing to pay if it works, but gore tex is just ridiculous.
Or is that what you have to spend?
Advice please.

raesewell
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Textile clothing

Postby raesewell » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:01 pm

A lot of it is down to the type of base layer that you wear.

Pannier Down

Postby Pannier Down » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:58 pm

I bit the bullet and bought Rukka. Madly expensive but fantastic kit.
I had a BMW goretex suit some years ago which was great, and have spent a fair bit on cheap stuff in between which didn't really work for me. Other companies do goretex kit and there are some decent deals around if you search hard enough. If you can, go the goretex route would be my advice.

mw3230
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby mw3230 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:56 am

It's probably pointless recommending Hein Gericke gear as they seem to have closed down for good in the UK but on the slight chance that you are going to the Continent then I'd suggest hunting for a HG store. Their clothing is slightly expensive but not eye poppingly so and good value for money in my opinion. The mid priced textile suit I'm wearing is several years old. It's warm, comfortable, waterproof and breathable (although not with Goretex) I've not experienced any problems with stickiness! I've recently successfully washed and re-proofed it using the Nikwak products. I bought it at a time when they had 20% discount and the price was a few hundreds compared with over £1100 for a BMW Tourshell suit and more for Rukka - undoubtedly good but how much better than warm, waterproof and breathable can you get

Edit - I've just done a Google search and it seems there is a new HG store in Lowestoft which also does mail order!
Formerly 2013 K1600GTSE, now 2017 GSA

Global864

Postby Global864 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 am

Thank you for that, I'll try HG.
Seems to be a case of getting what you pay for.
Thanks again

Ruralman
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Textile clothing

Postby Ruralman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:53 pm

My H&G summer gear suits me :grin:

Keith Hillier
BM Riders Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com

SteveD
Forum User
Country of Residence: Oz

Postby SteveD » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Look for a BMW Tourguard jacket on ebay or gumtree. Goretex and a vent or two. Not a summer jacket for an Oz summer, but your summer may vary! :wink:

If you're prepared to buy from the USA, check out Firstgear Rainier jackets. Excellent kit. The latest edition is a little garish, but the previous solid colours were good.
Cheers, Steve.
1982 R100RS, 2006 K1200R.

Stay horizontal!

https://stevedoyle.smugmug.com/organize/R100RS/R100RS
ImageImage

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”