Do you ever think of giving it all up

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Do you ever think of giving it all up

Postby andys » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:25 pm

OK OK, but is there anyone here who can honestly say hand on heart that they haven't ever played a trick on someone, or made a joke or wind up in order to get a reaction.
We've all done it.

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Yes, of course! But, the problem on forums is that comments can be taken the wrong way. This is, imo, a modern issue of social media, as texts, e mails and posts lack the body language and inflexion of communication, so the words stand on their own merit.
I guess one has to take care in how they write or they could create the wrong impression?
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:54 am

OK OK, but is there anyone here who can honestly say hand on heart that they haven't ever played a trick on someone, or made a joke or wind up in order to get a reaction.
We've all done it.
If it's a reaction you want, go join another Forum Andy.
There are plenty of places where you can discuss contentious issues and "Get a reaction" other than on here.

This place is for help, for politely discussing motorcycles, for giving your expertise freely to others less knowledgeable.
Its for friendship not windups. for politeness, not reaction.

We've always been a tolerant bunch, but you are testing my patience.
Phil,
'17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

George Duckett
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby George Duckett » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Like Bill, I am now in my 80s and was out on my R80RT yesterday at a Midland meeting. I have booked at the Club National at the end of the month and look forward to seeing fellow members who I first met 30yrs ago. Pretty sure some will be in the 70 age group by now.
1986 R80RT

Jockboxer
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Jockboxer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I think it was Buzz Aldrin (now 88) who addressed an audience thus ...

"Thank you for inviting me, it's great to be here. Hell, it's great to be anywhere!"

I count myself pretty fortunate to have been born in the second half of the 20thC. Any other century would have been pretty limiting of my chance of surviving for long and if I'd been born in the first half, there's WW1 and WW2 to be considered.

Bike riding has its dangers but we can control them to some extent by training, defensive riding and ca'ing canny. The rest is down to dumb luck and there's not a lot we can do about that. Except maybe stay at home and watch daytime telly and that is not an option for me or for anyone else who has ever ridden a bike, I suspect!

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:52 pm

November 2016 I dropped my Kwak GTR1000 avoiding a deer on the way to work. I ended up in the bushes, the bike got it's revenge
on the deer. I had 2 weeks off work as I couldn't sit in one position long enough to drive a truck, I tried after a week off but didn't
feel that I could react quickly enough if someone pulled out on me. By the time I was back to work I had an R1100RT, & apart from
taking a little longer getting to work (deer spotting in the woods, in the dark) I never thought about not getting on a bike again.
I think part of the problem is with a near miss your body prepares for the worst, then there is an anti-climax with all the adrenaline
still circulating round the body with nothing to do. Following on from that every blind bend you come to has a homicidal car driver
waiting for you.
I still use the same route to work that I dropped the kwak on, & I still see plenty of deer, including a lovely white stag, it took me
about 6 months to relax back into riding on country roads again. It takes time to get the worry of whats around the next bend, or
over the next rise back to normal levels, but when it happens you probably won't notice as things will be 'normal' again.
I wish you happy & safe riding for as long as you wish to carry on riding for.

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”