ULEZ

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

ULEZ

Postby CharlieVictor » Wed May 15, 2019 7:53 am

I have seen on other forums that people were not always clear about ULEZ, so there it is, as simple as it can be.

1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 RS "Twin with a kick"

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: ULEZ

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed May 15, 2019 12:19 pm

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I don't think they have much of a case.

Most of the small scooters are still 2 strokes which are among the worst when it comes to pollution and bikes in general aren't subject to the same stringent controls as four wheeled vehicles. After all, everything post 2007 already comes with a certificate and anything before that can be tested. We have to accept that anything that can't comply with emission levels falls into precisley that category of vehicles that the regulations are aimed at.

Whether you agree with the concept of Low Emission Zones or not (and I make no comment on that) the idea that bikes should for some unknown reason be exempt from them is basically flawed. Surely it would be more to the point if MCIA and other organisations were to lobby for more testing station availability so that machines that do fall within the regs can claim the exemption that is there's by right rather than the current policy of tilting at windmills.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:23 pm

You can check if your vehicle is compliant here

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check- ... icle-35896
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 am

Better check my chainsaw. #-o
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 am

Better check my chainsaw. #-o
Only if you intend to ride it into London... now there's an image!

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

SteveJ
Forum User

Postby SteveJ » Tue May 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Surely there’s a correlation between the amount of fuel burnt and the emissions?why should it effect Honda 90s for instance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve Jones
'85 R80 mono
'83 R80G/S

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am

Surely there’s a correlation between the amount of fuel burnt and the emissions?why should it effect Honda 90s for instance?

Not really. It's more to do with the burn characteristics inherent in the engine. A modern 2 litre car probably produces less emissions than a 1970s Honda 90.

The bottom line is that, if your machine (whatever it is) is capable of complying with the regs, it can be tested and exempted. it's a real time objective test. If it can't then it is quite right that it is subject to the charge.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

SteveJ
Forum User

Postby SteveJ » Sat May 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Not really. It's more to do with the burn characteristics inherent in the engine. A modern 2 litre car probably produces less emissions than a 1970s Honda 90.

The bottom line is that, if your machine (whatever it is) is capable of complying with the regs, it can be tested and exempted. it's a real time objective test. If it can't then it is quite right that it is subject to the charge.

Rob
If we’re talking co2 emissions a Honda 50 cub is rated at 61g/kg. A car that does about 40mpg (and yesterday’s most do better unless in town) 169g/kg
Of course riding around town on a Honda 50 is less polluting than your average car!

https://www.eta.co.uk/2015/10/27/honda- ... -be-wrong/

Steve Jones
'85 R80 mono
'83 R80G/S

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sat May 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Rob
If we’re talking co2 emissions a Honda 50 cub is rated at 61g/kg. A car that does about 40mpg (and yesterday’s most do better unless in town) 169g/kg
Of course riding around town on a Honda 50 is less polluting than your average car!

https://www.eta.co.uk/2015/10/27/honda- ... -be-wrong/

Then, if you take it to the testing station, it'll pass the test, get a certificate, end of issue.

As I said right at the start of the debate, it'd be much more to the point if the pressure groups were campaigning for better access to exemption tests for older vehicles than trying to find an excuse for all motorcycles to be excluded.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”