R75/5 :Stored 20 Years. Now What?

Post your Misc Tech and Restoration Q&A's and general BMW queries here

Moderator: Moderators

LarryR
Forum User
Country of Residence: Canada

R75/5 :Stored 20 Years. Now What?

Postby LarryR » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:37 am

I am no kind of mechanic, but as a winter project I want to work on my 1972 R75/5 that has been off the road for about twenty years. It's always been indoors but has not been in climate controlled storage so has been exposed to -30 Canadian winters.
I know I'll have a lot of questions as I go along but at this point I am just wondering if anyone can summarize what kind of problems I should expect to encounter in this case? I already have a rebuild kit for the carb.s and know the fuel tank will need cleaning but other than that, I'd just be guessing.
If there is any major work, overhaul, etc. that needs doing I'd have a shop do it, but would like to do anything else myself that I am capable of.
Thanks for looking!!

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: R75/5 :Stored 20 Years. Now What?

Postby CaptAirhead » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:31 am

I am just coming to the end of a rebuild of my R80/7 TIC which has been off the road for 13 years. Unfortunately, a lot of that time was in a damp and grotty underground council parking lot so it suffered quite badly. My initial intention was to give it an 'oily rag' restoration but the rust on the frame meant I had to strip the bike completely for a respray. Here is a link to my Flickr album with pics of most of the work I have had to do:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickspart ... 3134199293
Apart from the paintwork, I had to replace a lot of rubber items and a lot of rusty fittings, nuts, bolts, screws etc. It goes without saying that all the fluids and filters will have to be replaced and from personal experience, I would advise giving the engine and gearbox a good flush out. I also had to sort out quite a few corroded and dirty electrical contacts along the way. Luckily, my wheel bearings were OK and just needed a re-grease but the steering bearings had to be replaced. A look through my Flickt album will illustrate some of the potential problems you will face although a lot of the work I did was either cosmetic or fixing existing problems which needed doing anyway.
This is the bike waiting for work to start:-
Image1979 BMW R80/7 by Ian Beat, on Flickr

This is far as I've got. Only some electrical issues to fix before I try for a restart:-

Image1979 BMW R80/7 TIC. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

You may also notice that I fitted a Surefoot side stand and changed the under tank master cylinder for a handlebar one off an R100 GSPD. Anyways, good luck with the work. Any problems, there's lots of knowledgeable people on this forum to help you out.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

LarryR
Forum User

Postby LarryR » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks for the excellent advice and pictures. I think I might have my work cut out for me - it'll be a good learning experience at any rate. This is going to be a real labor of love as it was my wife's bike - she always rode BMW. As it sits now, it has 13,000 original km.s so if I do this right, I should really have a 'beaut' when I'm done.
I certainly will document my progress with pic.s as I get things done. Thanks again!

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 am

Hi Ian
" a lot of that time was in a damp and grotty underground council parking lot " how come? Please tell us more

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:08 am

Hi Ian
" a lot of that time was in a damp and grotty underground council parking lot " how come? Please tell us more

George
Thirteen years ago I was doing my 'Big Bike' training when I bought the R80/7 from my brother in law. I was living in a multi storey council flat at the time and I had rented a space in the underground car park to store my Spartan kit car. By the time I bought the BMW, I had sold the car so, as I was not licensed to ride it, I stored it in the car space until such time as I passed my test. A few weeks later, I saw a Yamaha Fazer on eBay at a very good price so I bought that too. Long storey short, by the time I passed my test the MOT had expired on the BMW so I just ran the Fazer and the BMW lay forgotten in the underground car space. Unfortunately, I didn't realise how damp and horrible the place got during the winter as the open brickwork let the weather in. On top of that, there was no power points to charge the battery so the BMW got into a bit of a state and stayed where it was for years while I ran the Fazer. Then the council condemned the flats and forced us to move so I moved the BMW to my new house in the back of a Berlingo van and it sat covered in my back garden for a few years till I decided to put it back on the road. That's when I discovered how badly it had fared in the damp and dingy car space:-
ImageBMW R80/7 Strip down by Ian Beat, on Flickr
..and that's why I had to strip it down and completely rebuilt it.
Ian.
P.S. I'm still running the Fazer:-
ImageFazer 600 by Ian Beat, on Flickr

2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 am

Hi
I didn't know council nlocks had spaces.

A guy I knew was given his father s rebuilt 88 Dominator, he kept it under a cover for a few years in the yard and it was rotten when he uncovered it-- chrome rusty, paint bubbling, alloy all furry, tyres flat etc, storage is bag for motorcycles

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:47 am

The blocks I lived in for a while has lots of open parking spaces but for a fee you could get a secure 'lower ground' space which had poor lighting, no power and had open brickwork which let the weather in. Not good for bike or car storage. This is what happened to the block after I moved out:-
ImageBucklemaker Court, Dundee. by Ian Beat, on Flickr
Ian.

2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

LarryR
Forum User

Postby LarryR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm wondering what is meant by flushing the engine and gearbox?

Mark Esposito
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Postby Mark Esposito » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm wondering what is meant by flushing the engine and gearbox?
I take it to mean drain and refill run for a while then repeat, idea is to remove as much impurities and contamination as possible.
Cheap oils of the correct grade are fine for flushing.

Mark

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I have 1985 BMW R80 RT monolever & a 1988 R80 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question !

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:02 am

Hi,
Mark has got it spot on. When a bike has stood for a long time, a lot of dirty oil and sludge will accumulate at the bottom of the gearbox and engine sump. This sludge will often 'stay behind' when the oil is drained so mixes with the new oil and all that muck will circulate round when the bike is started. So, to make sure it is removed properly, the engine and box should be flushed as Mark described. Although flushing oil is available, I believe the best way to flush is to fill up with the cheapest ( correct grade) oil you can find, run for a short time, then drain and refil. Do this till the oil runs clear and you have nice clean oil doing its job. You can get 5 litres of Supermarket 20/50 mineral oil for around ten quid. I believe Supermarkets also sell cheap gearbox oil. To illustrate how much muck can lie at the bottom when a bike is laid up, check out my recent post :-
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27140
My Bike was laid up for 12 years, I changed the oils and six months later I had to drain the gearbox oil. The bike had never been started but look what came out of the gearbox. The new oil had dissolved all that sludge with just sitting. I will flush both the engine and box again with cheap oil till I'm happy all the muck has gone. Then I will fill up with the good stuff.
Ian.

2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Return to “Miscellaneous & Restoration Q&A's”