Prototype switchgear adapter complete.

Post your Misc Tech and Restoration Q&A's and general BMW queries here

Moderator: Moderators

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Prototype switchgear adapter complete.

Postby CaptAirhead » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 am

After a lot of faffing around with different prototypes and materials, I finally found something that works and effectively allows me to attach my R80/7 RH switchgear to a R100GSPD handlebar master cylinder. First I made an adapter using FILO modelling clay ( Placticine didn't work well) which can be baked hard in the oven. Once hardened, the adapter was drilled and a brass threaded insert was pressed in and secured with Araldite. The adapter is held in place by a small metal clip which secures the bottom of the switch gear. To secure the top end, I fabricated a small metal clip and glued it into a convenient recess in the switchgear. This clip fits into a notch in the master cylinder and secures the top of the switchgear.

The metal securing clip for the top:-

ImageSwitchgear adapter for BMW Airhead handlebar master cylinder by Ian Beat, on Flickr

Offering up the switchgear to the adapter which has been clipped into the M/C housing. The white on the adapter is modelling filler which I used to clean up the surface prior to making a mould for resin copies:-

ImageSwitchgear adapter for BMW Airhead handlebar master cylinder by Ian Beat, on Flickr

The switchgear in place showing the top securing clip. This clip was a prototype. The final one will be the same width as the notch:-

All I have to do now is fabricate a simple cosmetic facia for the top to hide the clip and we are done. Once it is all completed, I'll post a pic of all the separate components.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Re: Prototype switchgear adapter complete.

Postby CaptAirhead » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:10 pm

I fabricated a facia out of MDF and hardboard:-

ImageSwitchgear adapter faceplate prototype by Ian Beat, on Flickr

ImageSwitchgear adapter faceplate prototype. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

It's not exactly pretty but it does the job:-

ImageBMW R80/7 Switchgear to Master Cylinder adapter . by Ian Beat, on Flickr

All I have to do now is make resin copies of the adaptor and the faceplate and were done.
Ian.

2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi
looks good

How strong is Filo when baked? Do you think I could hammer it into a sand box to cast into?

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Ian, you’re on my team when we need to survive a deserted land in a time far, far away.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - Has gone. No, not talking about it.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi
looks good

How strong is Filo when baked? Do you think I could hammer it into a sand box to cast into?

George
Not sure how strong it is yet as I've just started to use it. The adapter is the first item I've made with it so far. I though about making a mould for fishing weights out of it but don't know how heat resistant it is yet. I'll probably give it a go sometime.
Ian.

2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 pm

It looks to me like a candidate for 3d printing. I am finding a lot of little bits that I am going to have to draw and print unless I can find them used. :)

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi
I have ordered a couple of ounces-- god that sounds weird-- of silver Filo so will see how it goes

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

CaptAirhead
Forum User

Postby CaptAirhead » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm

It looks to me like a candidate for 3d printing. I am finding a lot of little bits that I am going to have to draw and print unless I can find them used. :)
I've often thought about a 3D printer but decided to wait until they were more reliable and more affordable. In the meantime, I'll have to make do with resin casting. I've had to make a few bits and pieces that I couldn't find. The last piece I made was an early windscreen adjuster faceplate. Original on the left, copy on the right:-

ImageBMW R80 Windscreen Adjuster Replica. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

I've still to replicate the switchgear adapter and faceplate, then I have to do a throttle cable grommet thingy. I'm currently in the process of replicating some Germa petcock caps as they seem to be unavailable.
Ian

2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:22 pm

I got my 3d printer form ebay in 2014. Spent maybe 6 months getting it right but now it just sits and prints, I never really touch it other than occasionally levelling the print bed. Cost me £80 to buy and probably the same to sort it out.

I used it the other day to print a bit for my electric bike and noticed that the filament is wet, not used it previously for a few months so I really need to replace that and either dry this one of chuck it away.

There are some very fancy filaments available now. Nylon, extremely strong, ABS, a pig to print but surface finish is excellent, flexible filaments so if you wanted you could print your own fork gaiters though they would probably cost you about 15 times as much as buying them. :)

Return to “Miscellaneous & Restoration Q&A's”