log book

Post your Misc Tech and Restoration Q&A's and general BMW queries here

Moderator: Moderators

ithebruce
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

log book

Postby ithebruce » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Does DVLA return the old log book?,i have a1976 R100S and need to change the bike status to historic,which requires sending the log book to DVLA,of course i would like the old one back for nostalgia reasons,will this happen?

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: log book

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:14 pm

No. If you want to keep it that badly then pay £25 and tell them it was lost.

ithebruce
Forum User

Postby ithebruce » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm

As i suspected,thanks for the info.Ian

ithebruce
Forum User

Postby ithebruce » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Update.BMW R100S 1976,I sent my old logbook and changed the taxation class to historic,i received an email asking for,a picture of the bike which included the number plate,a picture of the numbers on the frame,and a picture of the VIN plate,i did this but pointed out that the VIN plate was missing,but that speaking to BMW i informed DVLA that i was told that the frame number is the VIN,i have now received a letter asking me to fill out a V10 tax form changing the taxation class to historic,so i am assuming the VIN plate loss is not an issue,although if you have a 17 number plate things might be different.IAN

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Update.BMW R100S 1976,I sent my old logbook and changed the taxation class to historic,i received an email asking for,a picture of the bike which included the number plate,a picture of the numbers on the frame,and a picture of the VIN plate,i did this but pointed out that the VIN plate was missing,but that speaking to BMW i informed DVLA that i was told that the frame number is the VIN,i have now received a letter asking me to fill out a V10 tax form changing the taxation class to historic,so i am assuming the VIN plate loss is not an issue,although if you have a 17 number plate things might be different.IAN
In principal, the identity of a vehicle rests with the stamped VIN (Vehicle Identification number) and the VIN plate is an easily read version of this... or perhaps it's more accurate to say it rests withe the number itself since the absence of a stamped VIN isn't, of itself, proof that a vehicle isn't legitimate. When you get down to that level, what constitutes a vehicle identity is more philosophical than factual.

For practical puposes, the absence of the VIN plate isn't really an issue for the DVLA but it may well cause various 'authorities (not just the police) to question things. In extreme cases, it might get as far as involving fairly invasive investiugation to establish whether the stamped VIN is correct, whether it has been altered or, in cases where it isn't present, whether it has been ground out. It should be possible to get a new VIN plate made up by the manufacturer to replace the original, however, the hoops you'll have to jump through will almost certainly outweigh the benefits, especially on a vehicle that is over 40 years old. Don't fall into the trap of buting a fake VIN plate from the various rather shady businesses that offer the service... they are easily detectable and will only make matters worse by raising suspicion of deliberate chicanery. A case where complete absence is better than a bad replacement.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:05 pm

I once registered a dumper without a chassis number. People came from the excise with a set of number stamps, stamped and gave it number 00001 then registered it.

vmx1200
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby vmx1200 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:05 pm

This may be of interest to those who have got machines coming up to Historic status.

My RS turned 40 in November and I thought I could tax it a historic by changing the log book to historic and going to the post office, this wasn't the case and was informed that the post office could only do this on the 1st April 2019 for vehicles registered in 1978.

I decided to call the DVLA to clarify the rules and was told that the Post Office were correct however if I sent the log book with the change to Historic to them along with a completed V10 and the MoT (although not strictly required), they could make the changes and tax the vehicle as Historic.

This is what I received back today

Even the DVLA call centre does not understand the rules ....no mention of photos though and no one I have asked has had to submit any
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

macplaxton
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby macplaxton » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:24 pm

My RS turned 40 in November and I thought I could tax it a historic by changing the log book to historic and going to the post office, this wasn't the case and was informed that the post office could only do this on the 1st April 2019 for vehicles registered in 1978.
The historic class isn't a rolling 40 year from date of first registration. It's an annual bloc that gets admitted to the historic pool based on build year.

Everything built in 1978 (and it is automatically given that the anything registered up to the 7th January 1979 has been built in the previous year) is admitted to the pool on the 1st April 2019.

Anything built in 1979 (and registered up to 7th January 1980) will wait until the the next annual admission, which is 1st April 2020.

As stated in the letter, this annual admission was by way of a clause in the annual Finance Act (Budget) which amends the relevant clause in the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (VERA), so if they left the clause out, the annual change would stop.

The Finance Act 2014 makes the change from 1973 to 1974 effective 1st April 2014. It also has a section to change 1974 to 1975 effective from 1st April 2015.

The Finance Act 2015 has the 1976 / 1st April 2016 change in it.

The Finace Act 2016 makes the permanent change to VERA so that “during the period of 12 months beginning with 1 April in any year if it was constructed more than 40 years before 1 January in that year.” from 1st April 2017. Now they don't have to insert the "manual" update in the Finance Act, so they would have to do something to stop it, rather than having to do something to keep it going.
'99 R1100RT Image

macplaxton
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby macplaxton » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:12 am

Does DVLA return the old log book?
I've had some returned, but that was back around 2003, when they changed from the old Vehicle Registration Document (V5) to the EU harmonised Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C). FBHVC instructions at the time was to enclose a SAE and a covering letter.

Policy has probably changed since then, I suppose you could ask.
'99 R1100RT Image

ithebruce
Forum User

Postby ithebruce » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 am

As predicted by Rob,DVLA have no issue with my 1976 R100S having no VIN plate,and have received my new documents..however i received a letter this week to say "your confirmation of vehicle tax is enclosed" strange use of English,as there is nothing "enclosed",but a check on the DVLA website shows i am taxed,the letter also claims that they will send back the original documents...we will see.IAN

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 pm

As a matter of interest, you still have to 'tax' the vehicle even when it has historic status. it's just that the tax is free. I got a 'tax reminder' for my '76 bike last week. Class Historic, Tax zero but it very clearly says yiu have to go through the process of axing it otgherwise you will commit all of the same offences you would if it wasn't historic. Sounds daft I know but I think it's more to do with stopping vehicles (or rather vehicle identities) getting lost down the cracks like they used to.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:39 pm

It always gives me a buzz. I have just been through it with my Smart car, reminder through the post, intot the loft and tax it, change in bank balance = 0.

Love it but the rules surrounding it can never been described as anything but fund raising no matter how you look at it.

ithebruce
Forum User

Postby ithebruce » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:40 am

The old log book was never returned,despite claims they would.Ian

Return to “Miscellaneous & Restoration Q&A's”