Post your Misc Tech and Restoration Q&A's and general BMW queries here

Moderator: Moderators

redbynight
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Good candidate for first renovation

Postby redbynight » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:24 am

Hi all

I've been toying with the idea of a renovation on the side. I've never done one, so there will be a lot to learn. Similarly, I do not want to get in over my head and become frustrated with the project.

With that in mind, what would be a BMW model that would lend itself well to a beginner renovation? I am thinking in terms of mechanical simplicity, availability of parts, availability of guides and so on.

Any help appreciated.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Good candidate for first renovation

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:38 am

Airhead for simplicity coupled with 'rideability'... probably /6 or later (1974) for ease of sourcing parts. All models of the same age are so similar that model depends entirely on what you want to use the bike for afterwards. Monoshock (post '84) machines debatably benefit from some more modern features but, to my mind not enough to make an enormous difference. The 'GS models are good but expensive to buy. The short stroke engine models (R45 and R65) are probably less easy to source parts for.

Loads more opinions will come no doubt...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am

Bad time to buy though. Prices have soared over the last two months, I think there must be a lot of people with too much time on their hands.

I think my advice would be just buy cheap and don't worry about what you buy in any way. That way if you decide you don't have the inclination or time to do it you can always get out without too much loss. There is plenty of choice out there from the 1930s to current, mopeds to rockets. Pre 1980s is a must for hassle free and cheap ownership.

I was ready to buy these today but the prices just went stupid. More or less the same thing on ebay went for £500 less:

https://www.warrenandwignall.co.uk/cata ... -lot-35/?d

https://www.warrenandwignall.co.uk/cata ... le-lot-36/

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi
like Rob asked-- what do you plan to use it for?
like John said-- buy cheap

My question would be "how original" do you want it to be?

If it's to be a BMW then, K100 are usable and cheap with plenty of cheap spares, or for a classic BMW a mono airhead, usable but not as cheap as a Brick.

If you are not wedded to a make ot model, then try asking around locally, a friend of a friend my have something that tempts you. A local bike shop may have something "round the back"

A small bike costs almost as much to restore as a big one. I learnt this at the Club Welsh trip 2018, from a man who had rebuilt a Brough and a Bantam. Paint, wheel build, tyres, battery, polishing, chroming etc.

It will probably cost you more than it's worth (in money) by the time you finish, but you get the entertainment and satisfaction.

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:36 pm

The best thing about Airheads that no other bike can offer is that you can get parts cheap, correct for year / model or not and they will fit. This allows you to have a usable bike and then take your time eyes peeled for correct bits that were original to the bike at the right price but use the bike in the mean time.

K100 are rock bottom right now with K75s not far behind. The problem with them is that none are over 40 years old but the K100 is almost there.

redbynight
Club Member 13

Postby redbynight » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks all. To begin with I want something small just because of storage - the garage is not *that* big :)

I shall have a good look around; I am under no illusion that whatever cost I have in mind to begin with will probably not be the final cost, so I shall approach the endeavour with an open mind (and likely look for some K100s or K75s

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:31 am

Hi
75s are often more expensive than 100s, are effectively no smaller---length,width,weight and I get the impression there are fewer about on the market at any time

George

Tincan3
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Tincan3 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:53 am

If you live somewhere cooler, like me (north of Scotland), the best thing about airheads is that you never get cold feet!! :grin:

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:10 pm

If you live somewhere cooler, like me (north of Scotland), the best thing about airheads is that you never get cold feet!! :grin:
Because at today's prices you can't afford to go anywhere on it once you have bought it. :)

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Dacsceilings sent me these and I was considering it but I really have too many thing on the go right now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-k100-Com ... 4219701945
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100-FRA ... 4293744238
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100-LT- ... 3750392148

The bits are 85 to 90 so really it could do with an 85 (or earlier) frame so you get to the magic 40 in not too long but early frames seem to be very expensive.

Now that is a project. :)

redbynight
Club Member 13

Postby redbynight » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Dacsceilings sent me these and I was considering it but I really have too many thing on the go right now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-k100-Com ... 4219701945
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100-FRA ... 4293744238
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100-LT- ... 3750392148

The bits are 85 to 90 so really it could do with an 85 (or earlier) frame so you get to the magic 40 in not too long but early frames seem to be very expensive.

Now that is a project. :)
A project indeed! Somewhat beyond my current capabilities, shame. That would indeed be very satisfying to complete!

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi
How did you get Dacsceilings to send you such lovely things to buy?
G

Return to “Miscellaneous & Restoration Q&A's”