F800 - what is high mileage?

Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

ianl
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

F800 - what is high mileage?

Postby ianl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:04 pm

I am in the market for an R1100RS but a friend has convinced me to try an F800ST which I am going to do tomorrow at BMW dealer in Chester. If I get off thinking I must have one, there is an 07 for sale at garage on ebay for £3500 which is cheaper than most I've seen, presumably because it's done 51,000 miles. Looking at an R1100, this mileage wouldn't put me off but I've no knowledge of the F800. Any views welcome.
Thanks
Ian
Ian

2007 R1200GS
The cause of most motorcycle faults is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat

macp

Re: F800 - what is high mileage?

Postby macp » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Speaking personally Ian I have found that virtually any bike will do massive miles if its been maintained well and continues to be maintained properly.I think I saw an F800 for sale recently with 90 or 100k and it looked great.When you go see it if it looks well and rides well and in addition it has an excellent service history I would go for it. As long as you like it and the price reflects the mileage.

Good thread here on F800 with high miles http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread. ... -ST-Advice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Triton

Postby Triton » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:43 pm

I note that macp has directed you to the F800 Riders forum. Plenty of info there to put you off!!!
The early ones seem to suffer from a number of issues that arise at various mileages with the main ones being piston slap and rear wheel axle bearing failure. I have one which has a full engine rebuild courtesy of BMW at 11,500 miles due to piston slap.

From what I have gathered the problems were sorted by the 2009 model year. If looking at a bike get the VIN number and check build date (not registration date). This can be done by a BM dealer, via the info on BM Biles or using the Real OEM database on Motorworks webpage.

Good luck

David

ianl
Forum User

Postby ianl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for the information. However, dilemma solved as after my demo ride today I know it's not what I'm looking for. It rained the whole time which was probably a good thing as the biggest let down was the weather protection (bear in mind I come from a K100RS). Enjoyed the ride around bends but not sure it's a real tourer. Bloke at the dealer said that what old guys like me needed was an RT version which may well be true. Oh, well back to finding that perfect R1100RS and hope my strength lasts a few more years.

Ian
Ian

2007 R1200GS
The cause of most motorcycle faults is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat

Flook

Postby Flook » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi, just come across this post, especialy as I have not been on here for a while. The F800 whether it be the S or ST version is a personal decision, you will notice as you have a big difference between your present K and the F model. If I may say a few things, first, what do you want from the bike, if it is touring, I know a guy in Bedford who had one, he reckons he and his wife all loaded up went around Europe touring easy. The problem was acceleration, with it being only an 800 it was not as fast as he would have liked. However, he like me love the high mileage on a 16litre tank ave around 240 miles between fill ups. If I take it easy on hot days I can get about 290 to 305 miles between fills, on cold days it is more around 200 miles between fills.

If you are looking for comfort, weather protection etc, then there is only one bike to have, the K1600GT, that has it all. Otherwise WHY change your K100RS, unless you are bored with it, it's giving you more probs than you want etc, I advise to stick with what you have and enjoy.

ianl
Forum User

Postby ianl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 pm

You are without doubt a wise man, as I have come to the same conclusion and am going to spend some money on my K and keep it. The decision was confirmed after I came home from a 600 mile round trip last week to Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset and I couldn't really think why I wanted to change. It does everything an old geezer like me could want and I am certainly comfortable with it after 14 years. I have to say that the distressing story of the guy in Ireland (I'm sure you've read the thread) also made me appreciate that at least I know what I've got and know most of it's history. All I need to do now is splash out on a service, rear shock and front springs. A respray would be nice but I daren't ask the price!

Ian
Ian

2007 R1200GS

Flook

Postby Flook » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 pm

If you was thinking of spending over 3K on a replacement, surely that is a MAX amount to spend on your K. 14 years is a nice time to get used to the quirks and shakes, I dare not think what my F800 would be like in another ten years. OMG I will be 75 then, ahhh.

Keep on enjoying your bike.

Flook

ashwin88

Postby ashwin88 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 am

hi,,

One of the reasons I bought an F800S is because I know that the old BMW airhead twins were incredibly durable. Not a big deal to get 100,000+ miles on one. How long-lived do you expect the F800 twin to be, assuming you change the oil regularly, do the other maintenance, don't hot dog it too much, etc.
Do you expect to get to 75,000 miles with no major problems? 100K? More?

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE
Last edited by ashwin88 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Smithson
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Bill Smithson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 am

I am in the market for an R1100RS but a friend has convinced me to try an F800ST which I am going to do tomorrow at BMW dealer in Chester. If I get off thinking I must have one, there is an 07 for sale at garage on ebay for £3500 which is cheaper than most I've seen, presumably because it's done 51,000 miles. Looking at an R1100, this mileage wouldn't put me off but I've no knowledge of the F800. Any views welcome.
Thanks
Ian
Thanks, you have just solved a dilemma for me - 'what is my bike worth to me and a buyer'?
2007 F800S to ST, dealer conversion, 46000 miles, always dealer serviced, full Givi luggage, BMW tank bag and all the many bits and bobs I've added over the years.
£2500 is the minimum I'd take.

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks
Ian
Thanks, you've just solved a dilemma for me - 'what's my bike worth to me and a buyer'?
2007 F800S to ST, dealer conversion, 46000 miles, always dealer serviced, full Givi luggage, BMW tank bag and all the many bits and bobs I've added over the years.
Balance of BMW extended warranty to June 22nd 2017.
£2500 is the minimum I'd take.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi Bill
does that mean you are thinking of selling the RED F?

When is the tax due?

When is the MoT due?

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi
does it come with trainer wheels?
f800 trainer wheels.jpg

Does it have the legs for long distance rides?
http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/1 ... quality=50

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi Bill
When is the tax due?
When is the MoT due?
George
Hi George,
Yes it has to go.
I only managed about 1000 miles on it last year due to using my other bikes. It's taxed and it's M.O.T'd to 23rd June 2017.
Tax is not applicable because it gets cancelled at the point of sale.

No trainer wheels with it or even nice sexy legs.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi
I know what you mean, I did about the same on the K last year, I really like the 75 but I always seem to use the 100R,

I have wondered about an F in the past though

George

ianl
Forum User

Postby ianl » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm

When you look at prices be aware that this is a 5 year old post of mine that has been resurrected.

Ian
Ian

2007 R1200GS

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:51 pm

When you look at prices be aware that this is a 5 year old post of mine that has been resurrected.
Ian
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't noticed the original date, just that there was a new post! :???: :oops:

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi Bill
When is the tax due?
When is the MoT due?
George
Hi George,
Yes it has to go.
I only managed about 1000 miles on it last year due to using my other bikes. It's taxed and it's M.O.T'd to 23rd June 2017.
Tax is not applicable because it gets cancelled at the point of sale.
Well some later after the post quoted above the bike did go.
The back story to the sale is, I sold the bike on eBay with a reserve of £1500 to protect myself and when the auction finished at £2200 the buyer had won the sale by 'sniping' the last offer by £1.
The money had been transferred to my bank account for eBay dealings and was cleared.
The buyer, having not seen the bike, was due to collect it from Kendal on the following Friday and ride it home.
Are you still there??? Z Z Z Z Z Z ............

On the day before ( Thursday) I drove to the doctors surgery to book an urgent appointment because I didn't feel well.
Within 5 minutes I was in an ambulance wearing an oxygen mask and multi leads connected to a heart monitor dashing down the M6 to hospital.
I'd said "I can't go today" and explained about the sale of the bike. I had the money and the bike was locked in my garage, I did't know the buyer and he didn't know me. Tough, phone a friend.
A good tong term friend stepped in riding 20 odd miles each way to transfer ownership and the new happy owner rode the bike home. My niece in Kendal retrieved my new car from the surgery and all was well.

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 pm

.............On the day before ( Thursday) I drove to the doctors surgery to book an urgent appointment because I didn't feel well.
Within 5 minutes I was in an ambulance wearing an oxygen mask and multi leads connected to a heart monitor dashing down the M6 to hospital.
I'd said "I can't go today" and explained about the sale of the bike. I had the money and the bike was locked in my garage, I did't know the buyer and he didn't know me .....

Never mind the bike - hope you're OK now Bill !! :smile:

Must be - he rode 175 miles to Turnberry last week - Trump that! :smile:
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”