Bleeding abs brakes on f650gs

Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

Tom.Hux
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Bleeding abs brakes on f650gs

Postby Tom.Hux » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:18 pm

I am having to replace the front brake pistons on my f650gs that has abs. My first question is if I disconnect the caliper will all of the brake fluid empty out.
Secondly, can I bleed the brakes and do I have to take it to BMW to sort the abs?

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Re: Bleeding abs brakes on f650gs

Postby Jaythro » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:04 pm

It would be very useful to know if its an earlier single cylinder or a later twin cylinder (I am suspecting earlier version)

It will not be servo assist as the "F series" never had it, but I recall something about the later one needing to use the GS911 or Dealer spec diagnostics to carry out part of the system bleed

Basically yes if you disconnect the calliper fluid will drain I strongly suggest not crimping the pipe quickly wrapping clingfilm around the banjo may stem off major fluid loss

If any is spilt please rinse it away with copious amounts of water Its toxic to wildlife (and not so good for humans either) :(
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 am

Jaythro, the Internet is big, but I can't find the answer except mix with cat litter!! How do you dispose of brake fluid?

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - bit of a Shetland pony; frisky and naughty.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:48 pm

Jaythro, the Internet is big, but I can't find the answer except mix with cat litter!! How do you dispose of brake fluid?
The only "Safe" way is to "dilute it massively" its hygroscopic, (hence why it needs changed annually or Bi-Anually) and a bucket of water to an eggcup of brake and clutch fluid is fairly good dilution and allegedly won't harm animals at that stage (also works with Antifreeze as its mostly Ethylene Glycol as the base constituent in both )

Once it is diluted, when it goes in a drain, it continues to dilute and becomes basically harmless
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:44 pm

Many thanks for that Jathro, of course anti freeze kills cats, so that is a pain to dispose of, you’d need a lot of water!

Jaythro
Forum User

Postby Jaythro » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 am

Many thanks for that Jathro, of course anti freeze kills everything that ingests it, so that is a pain to dispose of, you’d need a lot of water!

Its amazing even how a spilled litre can be cleaned up very quickly, I made a mistake and knocked the new cannister over that I was just about to use, I had set down with no lid for a second whilst I cleaned the reservoir a tad better and me not noticing for 10 seconds until I reached for it and it was nearly empty, The residue and water goes from cloudy to clear in 15 seconds or so of "Spray" hosing rather than "jet" and a further 15 seconds removed all trace

Its a great way to get rid of it quickly if you drip some on bodywork** or worse still on a rim when you are removing the bleed tube, I use an ordinary spray bottle with a couple of drops of fairy liquid in it 4 or 5 pulls on the spray trigged is enough to clear away any mess

A Handy tip *** If I am going to be working with the master cylinder on the bars I Spray all the bodywork nearby where it could be splashed, liberally with ordinary Mr Sheen

windmill john
Forum User

Postby windmill john » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 am

One of the reasons I was so happy when I just had Schorsch with his R60/6 front wheel; no hydraulics :)

Ah well, I now have them at both ends with three computers thrown in for good measure...

Thanks again Jaythro.

John

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”