Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

BritOne
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Buyers Guide F800ST..

Postby BritOne » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Hello all.

I'm about to help my "millenial" acquire an F800ST He's tight for cash so I'm trying to help him avoid a massive value hit or a pandoras box of hidden costs over the next 2-3 years...

I'm old enough and have bought enough bikes in my time to spot the usual (read obvious) generic stuff but I'm not familiar with the F800 and was looking for clues as what specifically to look out for. Found some info but so far no "buying guide" as such.

a) I know nothing about Belt Drives or what to look out for other than fraying fibres....and the fact that on a quick search they come up at £250.....!

b) I"ve seen some notes of Piston slap on early bikes. Not being familiar with the typical noise an F800 makes what am I listening for? (nearly all modern bikes sound "whiney and whirly" to me). I'm guessing a something along the lines of an old loose two stroke rattle from the cylinder area?

c) looking at the history of the bike in question. Its an 09 bike it had a busy first 3 years with about 18k, properly serviced and then only a few hundred a year to its current 22k."Serviced" approx every 4years. I'm assuming anything significant will have flushed out in the first well serviced period, and the valve clearances checked in the relatively recent mileage but as its basically been stood and used only intermittently in the past 11 years I was wondering what toll that may have taken on seals, belts filters and bearings no suprise it has a new battery.. - any wisdom on this type of use?

d)Anything else? particularly fragile or weak points and electronic gremlins to look out for ? Any connectors or bits particularly exposed or prone to corrosion at this age?

I'm prepared for the usual clunky BM gearbox.... and understand these can be a bit vibey

All input appreciated
It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it. (T Pratchett)

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: Buyers Guide F800ST..

Postby windmill john » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:36 pm

I can but give you my tuppenny's worth.

In most cases, you can change the belt without removing the world. I seem to recall there was a model that required the swinging arm to be removed?
You might want to clarify that.

I had an F800GS. Now it depends on how serious you want to be. I purchased the GS 911 service tool. It is/was £300 plus. Do you need it?.... Well the bike will run without it.
But simple things first. You can reset the service schedule and turn out the management light. Deeper though, with the tool you can bleed the ABS, set the idle, check for faults.
Obviously if the bike is running well, you don't need... the tool. It all depends on how much home servicing you intend performing.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Tweety Pie, my F650GS
Si, my CX500
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

BritOne
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Re: Buyers Guide F800ST..

Postby BritOne » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:27 am

Thanks for thoughts WJ. My local dealer (who I buy my BM bikes from) has been kind enough to check out the history for me on the BMW database. This helps as I know don't have to worry about wheel bearings.... or piston slap but as I suspected the next service due is the Valve clearances and Belt. Which gets a bit pricey compared to the cost of the bike.

If it was my bike I'd fork out for the 911 and service it myself. If I was going to keep the RT for more than 5 years it would make sense too but. As its the "millenial" who might have changed his mind by next thursday.....and I will have swapped the RT before it gets to self maintenance time, I'm not sure....

I'm pretty sure he'll be OK for another 5k miles as Its only done 350 miles since the last oil change and I will flush the brake fluid as a matter of routine. At that point the belt will be up to the 25k mark. That may be enough. Then If he's still in the country we can take a view...... I can certainly do the work or more explicitly train him, if I can get his attention span up to more than 120 seconds...

RE the buyers guide... Having done some pretty extensive research, other than the above I haven't really found much to worry about on the F800 Series..... probably why there is not a pleathora of "what to look out for" pages in the forums....

I also own KTM's hence my caution.... Absolutely brilliant bikes, more "soul" than the RT and GSA's, IMHO but always a very long list common issues and stuff to work through and be aware of before buying....
It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it. (T Pratchett)

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”