Engine noise....

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Engine noise....

Postby milleplod » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm

A good friend had a heart attack 3 months ago, at the ripe old age of only 39! All sorted now, plus the (slightly risky) bonus of a payout on his critical illness policy - he called round in his 'treat' purchase this morning, we had a run up to the South Yorkshire Air Museum near Doncaster (recommended, not big, but a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours).
Stang!.jpg
What a glorious noise it makes! Traditional V8 rumble at low speeds, hard-edged crackle as the revs pile on - I loved it! :grin: But I was glad he was paying for the petrol! :lol:

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nocto Diuque Venamur

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Re: Engine noise....

Postby DEEP DIVER » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:05 pm

I have only had one V8 car years ago. It was a Mercury Montego station wagon with a 351 Cleveland. That was around the early 80s when fuel was £1.74 a gallon. It had to go when the wife passed her test as it was a bit to big for her. It was like this but in light brown.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream :smile:
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 pm

I have only had one V8 car years ago. It was a Mercury Montego station wagon with a 351 Cleveland. That was around the early 80s when fuel was £1.74 a gallon. It had to go when the wife passed her test as it was a bit to big for her. It was like this but in light brown.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
I like that! :smile:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Wow!!! That's a beast! :lol:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm

That was the second yank tank that I had. The first was a 1965 ex US embassy Plymouth Fury 1 with a slant 6 engine and 3 speed shift on the steering column. I worked for a American shipping company which used to bring in the household gear for the US forces in the UK and their cars to. When they returned home they had to pay loads to have the cars sent back so loads were dumped on the bases. I went to one breakers yard near Mildenhall and he had around 300 cars for sale all from the USA. Some old Willys jeeps to. The Mercury came through our company from the middle east. It was a oil worker who had it shipped back to the UK and he was working in the North sea. It sat at the warehouse for a few years and then was impounded and sold. It went to a local pub landlord for a few years and I picked it up off him.

Barry the old goat!!!!

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Love those.
I was ogling one in my local ford dealer once when this bloke came up to me and started waffling on about how much better the BMW something or other was.
I said I don't care how much better it is, I'd still rather have that.
He really didn't like that
Put his nose right out of joint.
That there is my lottery win car.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:08 am

Yesterday I took my car for it's MOT, on the forecourt of the garage was a pristine XK180... now that's a dream car... that being said, my 'lottery car' would be a Blower Bentley... about as practical as an umbrella in a hurricane but that's not what we're talking about, right. It would need to be a big win though. one fetched over £5 million at Bonhams in 2012... still, it's good to dream :drunken:

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:06 am

that being said, my 'lottery car' would be a Blower Bentley..Rob
Many years ago I was driving my company van out of town when down the slip road came a 1930s Blower Bentley. The exhaust noise was drowning out all the other cars around it. The driver wore a leather flying helmet and goggles with large gauntlets, and in the passengers seat sat his wife. She wore a large hat tied down by a flowing scarf. The shock of seeing them made all the traffic slow down and when he joined the road he changed gear and give it some fuel.

Now if any one likes the big yank tanks there is a new show starting soon called Detroit Steel. They rebuild classic American cars.
Last edited by DEEP DIVER on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Nate
Forum User

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:07 am

My two dream cars, both Jaguars, were actually owned by the same chap who lived not far from me in Devon. His name was Martin Morris and he was a complete and utter gentleman, as well as being a brilliant racing driver. He bought the remains of a D-Type - OKV3 - that he'd had the misfortune of crashing and went on to race it very successfully. He did, for a time, hold the record for the fastest speed recorded down the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans in that car - 187mph. He also owned a C-Type - LFS672. Both cars are now, I believe, in private collections: LFS672 sold for $13,200.000 in 2015.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:44 am

I love these, the last of the coachbuilt Bentleys. I wanted to buy one when I retired, although I knew running costs would have been ruinous....we bought a 996 Cabrio instead. The 996 sounded wonderful, I think the Continentals just make a whoooooshing sound, even at full tilt, but they're just sooo easy on the eye.
rsz_1continental_r.png
Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 pm

An old workmate picked up a mid 70s Bentley for 5K from a big estate sale. He said it was ok till the exhaust went and they wanted over 1k for a new one. He sold it to a breakers for about 7k in the end. He did say it was great to pick up some old tart up in Norwich and give them a ride in the sticks.

Barry the old goat!!!!

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:50 pm

An old workmate picked up a mid 70s Bentley for 5K from a big estate sale. He said it was ok till the exhaust went and they wanted over 1k for a new one. He sold it to a breakers for about 7k in the end. He did say it was great to pick up some old tart up in Norwich and give them a ride in the sticks.
The mind boggles....! :lol:

An Italian friend has, amongst other lovely motors, a 1968 Silver Shadow, finished in what I call Cadbury's Dairy Milk brown (although the V5 calls it some sort of green). Being an early one, it has chrome bumpers, no headrests, and it just oozes quality and charm....whilst returning 10-14mpg on its twin SU carbs. It has a very slight exhaust blow at the moment - I reckon it sounds just right though, its released a bit of the proper V8 sound! A genuine RR exhaust system is a ridiculous amount of money, and a pattern stainless one is over £2k - he's picked up an excellent quality mild steel one for about £700 all-in.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Nate
Forum User

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:20 pm

He did say it was great to pick up some old tart up in Norwich and give them a ride in the sticks.
Just gotta love Norfolk - makes Somerset look cosmopolitan!

I seem to remember a Top Gear from ages ago that had Quentin Willson looking at the practicalities of running an old Roller or Bentley. At that time (late '90s?) there was a breaker in London who could supply most bits to keep one on the road.

A quick look on eBay just now found me a 1982 Silver Spur with 50k on the clock for under £6,000. Tempting, especially for any trips to Norwich!

Tony the Skin
Forum User

Postby Tony the Skin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 pm

I have had a few RR V8 cars in the past. One of the most civilised cars on the road. The power just flows
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R1200 RS LC
Harleys
MZ 251
Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby boxerman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Not something I've ever owned but I've driven a few 6 litre 1950's Phantoms. Lovely kick in the ass if you put your foot down but handled like a trawler in a Force 9 at anything above 50 ish and didn't stop worth a damn...
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:11 am

I have had a few RR V8 cars in the past. One of the most civilised cars on the road. The power just flows
I think the early RR V8 engines were American. Not sure were I heard about that.

Barry the old goat!!!!

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 am

I think the early RR V8 engines were American. Not sure were I heard about that.
They definitely used GM autoboxes, and also on some models used Citroen's fluid suspension to improve ride quality.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:56 am

Citroen's fluid suspension to improve ride quality.

Pete
Now when that is set right it gives a good ride. I had a BX diesel years ago and the first think I did was to have all 5 spheres changed. Then have the hydraulic tank cleaned and system flushed. I still have a few bottles of the LHM fluid in the shed. I believe you can use it in the forks on the old airheads?

Barry the old goat!!!!

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Citroen's fluid suspension to improve ride quality.

Pete
Now when that is set right it gives a good ride. I had a BX diesel years ago and the first think I did was to have all 5 spheres changed. Then have the hydraulic tank cleaned and system flushed. I still have a few bottles of the LHM fluid in the shed. I believe you can use it in the forks on the old airheads?
I've got a C5 X7 Exclusive tourer with the Hydractive 3 suspension - smoooooth as silk! :smile:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”