Interesting appeal ruling on mobile phone usage.

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: Interesting appeal ruling on mobile phone usage.

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm

I wondered that. Can you be prosecuted as a passenger if you allow the driver to use a phone. It certainly seems so. So where is that line drawn. If I am waiting to cross the road and a guy drives past on his phone can I be prosecuted for not throwing myself under his wheels in order to force him to stop. :)

This law is a complete joke and wants scrapping. Use a real proper thought out law not one written by loony leftie treehugger veggies. :)

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:28 pm

'Causing' could be an employer who requires a driver employee to have to use a mobile to be able to carry out his/her duties properly. 'Permitting' could be the aforementioned driver who is supervising a learner - if the learner uses a mobile whilst driving, the supervisor has 'permitted' due to the fact that he/she is 'in charge' of the vehicle. A supervisor can also be prosecuted under drink-drive legislation.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:31 pm

I wondered that. Can you be prosecuted as a passenger if you allow the driver to use a phone. It certainly seems so. So where is that line drawn. If I am waiting to cross the road and a guy drives past on his phone can I be prosecuted for not throwing myself under his wheels in order to force him to stop. :)

This law is a complete joke and wants scrapping. Use a real proper thought out law not one written by loony leftie treehugger veggies. :)
No....only if you're supervising a learner, because then you do have certain responsibilities and liabilities. :smile:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi
prohibit a person from driving, or causing or permitting a person to drive,
what is "causing or permitting", apart from forcing a knife point oe supervising a learner?

George

In somewhat simplistic terms...

Say a van with (for instance) defective brakes is owned by a company and the owner of the company were to instruct a driver employed by the company to use the vehicle, that would come under the heading of 'causing' a person to commit an offence.

If the driver were to come to the owner and ask permission to use the vehicle out of hours and that permission was granted, the owner would be permitting the offence.

In both instances, both the driver and the owner might be committing offences.

I can't think of a way that 'permitting' would be relevant to mobile phone offences but I could see that, if the owner of a company insists that his drivers answer the phone immediately, even when they are driving, he could be held to be 'causing' the offence.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi
prohibit a person from driving, or causing or permitting a person to drive,
what is "causing or permitting", apart from forcing a knife point oe supervising a learner?

George

In somewhat simplistic terms...

Say a van with (for instance) defective brakes is owned by a company and the owner of the company were to instruct a driver employed by the company to use the vehicle, that would come under the heading of 'causing' a person to commit an offence.

If the driver were to come to the owner and ask permission to use the vehicle out of hours and that permission was granted, the owner would be permitting the offence.

In both instances, both the driver and the owner might be committing offences.

I can't think of a way that 'permitting' would be relevant to mobile phone offences but I could see that, if the owner of a company insists that his drivers answer the phone immediately, even when they are driving, he could be held to be 'causing' the offence.

Rob
I gave one a couple of replies above yours Rob! :wink:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Permitting as an employer would be having a set of rules or procedures in place detailing how, &
when you could use a handheld device, & a disciplinary procedure in force for when someone is caught
breaching those rules. Then, when someone is caught breaking said rules, doing nothing about it, thus
allowing, permitting, the act to be repeated.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Permitting as an employer would be having a set of rules or procedures in place detailing how, &
when you could use a handheld device, & a disciplinary procedure in force for when someone is caught
breaching those rules. Then, when someone is caught breaking said rules, doing nothing about it, thus
allowing, permitting, the act to be repeated.

I'd love to hear that one argued in court... but I don't think it would go anywhere.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”