Any proficient model kit builders here

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Any proficient model kit builders here

Postby andys » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Haven't built a plastic kit since I was very young but going to have a crack at a Yamaha VMAX kit I've had lying around for ages.
Just need a few tips about painting and detailing.
Anyone ?

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Any proficient model kit builders here

Postby CaptAirhead » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:22 am

How you approach it depends very much on your skill level, what tools and equipment you have available and of course the scale of the model. Most of the models I have built over the years have been 1:72 or 1:32 although I have built a few larger scale.

For brush painting, I prefer Tamiya Acrylic Paints:-

ImageTamiya Acrylic Paints and accessories by Ian Beat, on Flickr

In addition, you will need some good quality brushes, thinners, cleaners, masking tape and, if you intend using mixed colours, some small bottles for mixing etc.

For Air Brushing, I like Vallejo Acrylic Paints:-

ImageWP_20181113_22_52_49_Pro by Ian Beat, on Flickr

For Filling, repairs etc I use a variety of fillers and putty:-

ImageModelling Materials. by Ian Beat, on Flickr

Whichever method you go for, it is important to prepare the components well by trimming, smoothing and sometimes even filling. Don't be in too much of a hurry to remove all the components from the sprue as it is sometimes better to keep them on the sprue for painting.
I usually give the parts a coat of primer before the final coat but be careful not to put too much on that the detail is obliterated. If you are applying water slide transfers, there are various products which will help give a more realistic finish. I use Micro Set.
Like most painting jobs, the finished result will only ever be as good as the preparation so take your time and leave each component to dry properly between coats.
Any questions, just ask.
Ian.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby andys » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks captain airhead.
This model fortunately doesn't need to much painting.
Could you advise me on the forks.
The parts are chromed plastic, but I need to paint the lowers black.
Seems simple but how would you get the paint to adhere to the very shiny surface.

CaptAirhead
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby CaptAirhead » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 pm

There's various methods for painting over plastic chrome.

1. Remove the chrome by soaking in bleach then use oven cleaner and a toothbrush to leave clean plastic
2. Immerse the parts in dilute caustic soda till the chrome dissolves.
3. Apply a good primer such as Krylon then paint as normal.

Last time I painted plastic chrome, I nipped out to the shed and grabbed a rattle can of etching primer that I was using on the car. Worked quite well. I gave that model away so don't know how long the paint finish lasted.

Whichever solution you go for, try it out first on a piece of the sprue.
Ian.

Edit.
Should have added that if you uses a chemical solution ( 1 or 2 above) to remove the chrome, wash the part well in warm soapy water and allow to dry before painting.
If you don't make mistakes, then you aren't trying hard enough!

1979 BMW R80/7 (ex-Police)
2002 Yamaha Fazer 600

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”