Young driver and trailer.

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Young driver and trailer.

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:55 pm

I know that a new license holder cannot pull a trailer without passing a trailer test but I can't find how a person that has a full car license is supposed to learn how to operate with a trailer on.

Do you just stick "L" plates on even though you have a full license and are subject tot eh same restriction as a provisional license holder?

Why can't I find the answer on Google, It must be something that more and more people are needing but very little information about it.

Reason for trying to find out is that this weekend I scrapped a couple of cars that have been standing for ever and had a young lad helping me but whereas I just took it all for granted when I asked him to just back it up it dawned that he is not licensed to do that.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Re: Young driver and trailer.

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:24 pm

R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Been there already. It is about as clear as Boris's policies.

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 am

Been there already. It is about as clear as Boris's policies.
And that's setting the bar pretty low already... :-"
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 650RS W3 Replica "Twin With a Kick"

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 am

Hi
There is a plAce just outside ramsbottom that does training to toe
G
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm not sure a podiatrist is going to help! :wink:

Just outside Ramsbottom hey..... I lived in Rawtenstall 40 years ago.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Bumble, my 700 Transalp.
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sundance, my 500T.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot, but Honda is also great.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:05 pm

The advice is contradictory depending on where you look. Actually, it's contradictory dependant on where you look on the DVLA website (well imagine my surprise!). I think the basic limits of 3500 kilos and 750 kilos are fairly straightforward. One page, however, states that these limits apply to anyone with a B on their licence (bearing in mind we are talking about drivers who passed the test on or after 1/1/1997). Other pages, however, state that you need a B + E category. If this is correct, then the driver would have to obtain a provisional and pass a further test. It may well be that a full B licence will have a provisional entitlement for B + E but you'd have to check the individual driving licence for that.

In my opinion, A person with a B category cannot tow at all. If they have a B + E category then they can tow up to the 3500/750 kilos limits. They need to actually look at their liocence to see what they have.

In relation to the situation you mention, although the towing vehicle would almost certainly be within the 3500 kilos MAM limit, the trailer is highly unlikely to be within the 750 kilos MAM limit so unless you can say that the MAM of towing vehicle plus trailer is less than 3500 kilos, a B + E driver wouldn't be able to drive the combination anyway.

It should be noted that the MAM is the Maximum Authorised Weight of the vehicle or trailer and has no relation to the actual weight of the trailer (or car) + load. For example, a trailer that has an unladen weight of say 400 kilos and a MAM of say 2000 kilos cannot be towed under any circumstances on a B or a B+E licence unless the towing vehicle had a MAM of less than 1500 kilos (and that would bring all sorts of other legal issues).

Interstingly, these regulations pretty much mean that towing a caravan, unless it's a real lightweight, requires a C1+E licence... Because of this, Caravan manufacturers and sellers websites are a good place to go for information on this issue.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm not sure a podiatrist is going to help! :wink:
I spent ages trying to think of that or something similar as a reply and failed. :)

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:21 pm

So if you have the B license does that act as a provisional for the B+E so you could drive B+E if you were accompanied by a older (full license as we know it) person but you would require L plates?

That's the bit that is confusing me, not the varies weight categories for towing vehicle / trailer combinations.

It is a proper can of worms now and seems to be ill thought out generally.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 pm

It's very confusing... many of the online sources are at best difficult to understand and at worst contradictory. My feeling at the moment is that there is no provision for a 'learner' trailer driver and, therefore, a driver with a 'B' licence simply can't tow a trailer until he or she has passed the test. That would mean that he or she has to take the test 'blind' or do a course with one of the organisations that does training. I'm far from certain that is correct though. As far as I can see, the only sure way to find out would be to ask DVLA directly... and then I'd be asking for the reply in writing and signed just in case.
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”