An interesting trip

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: UK

An interesting trip

Postby boxerman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Arrived home from Krakow last night after a visit to Auschwitz 1 & Auschwitz 2 (Birkenhau). A very sobering experience!! I expected to walk away from there with tears in my eyes but I didn't - the whole experience is just so much larger than life that it'll take weeks for the full scale and horror of the place to be digested before any emotional response can surface. We stood inside the first experimental gas chamber directly under the hatch that the Zyclon B was dropped in to the 6 or 700 hundred prisoners - this is pretty much all that is left of the gas chambers as the main ones at Birkenhau were blown up by the Nazis before they left. We walked along the massive station platform (must be a good 500 feet) were prisoners were unloaded from the cattle trucks, we stood at the spot where a Dr sent you to the left or right depending on whether you looked fit to work or not - turning left took you to the camp - turning right meant a 500 yard walk direct to the gas chamber. We walked along the edge of the worn track and the loose soil/gravel clearly contained massive amounts of white bone fragments. We talked to guides who say that if you dig down a foot or two you hit a foot or two of cremated remains. It's just incomprehensible..

Here's just a few of the many pics I took at Birkenhau.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Hawksley 'The Boxer Man' - aka 'Dangermouse'
Member #1 Much modified R80G/S - a REAL one
Why not join the BM Riders Club @ http://www.bmridersclub.com
http://www.boxerman.co.uk
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk
https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos

Ruralman
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: An interesting trip

Postby Ruralman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:06 pm

A Powerful reminder of the destructive and brutal regimes that arise when people stop caring about their fellow man!
Long may these camps stand as a warning to those who look down on others!

Live to ride, ride to Live ! :bounce:
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2011 R1200RT SE MU
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200RS
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Oldbloke
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Oldbloke » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Everybody should visit these places to ensure we never forget.

Ian

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:57 pm

What is so frightening is how a number of initially insignificant average people can get together, take power and then change a country so much that they are able to do this. Unbelievably, because of their upbringing and indoctrination, many people involved in the Nazi system genuinely believed that they were doing a "good job" for their society by removing Jews, Gypsys, political opponents, homosexuals and other so called "undesirables". The story of Nazi Germany is indeed a warning from history.
Lets not forget that Stalinist Russia also murdered millions too.

Sadly, conflicts since 1945 still go to show that mankind doesn't learn or care.

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Even in the 21st Century persecution of minority's still goes on, sadly some people will never evolve into caring individuals.

Live to ride, ride to Live ! :bounce:
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2011 R1200RT SE MU
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200RS
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

bwprice100
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Postby bwprice100 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:18 pm

There is a very good documentary called, I think, '5 steps to the holocaust'
It is well worth watching and shows how easily it can happen and how often we migrate through several of the steps without realising.

Brian

www.eBolt.co.uk www.TooolroomChucks.co.uk
1958 R26, (not so many bits now)
1978 R75/7, (a project bike)
1981 R80, (was a TIC)
1995 R1100RT, (speeding ticket the first day I rode it) (Sold)
http://www.eBolt.co.uk
http://www.ToolroomChucks.co.uk

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Arrived home from Krakow last night after a visit to Auschwitz 1 & Auschwitz 2 (Birkenhau). A very sobering experience!! I expected to walk away from there with tears in my eyes but I didn't - the whole experience is just so much larger than life that it'll take weeks for the full scale and horror of the place to be digested before any emotional response can surface ..... It's just incomprehensible..
I visited Auschwitz a couple of years ago and found it extremely sobering. I didn't cry either, but instead came away deeply depressed.
I spoke to the Polish lady who acted as our guide and she told me that she had lost family members in the camp and had been working as guide for several years. I don't know how anybody could do that.
The visit to the gas ovens at Birkenau was to follow but I couldn't face any more.
On the one hand I wouldn't wish a visit there on my worst enemy, on the other hand I feel that every child in the world should be shown just how badly human beings can be made to behave towards each other. It's truly awful.
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby boxerman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:17 pm

You should have done the Birkenau section too, Gogs. That is the main extermination camp and utterly different to Auschwitz 1 which, as an old army barracks, looks civilised by comparison. Auschwitz 1 is small but Birkenhau must cover a good square kiliometre and you are made aware that you are walking on tons of cremated remains. It's called the largest cemetery in the world.

windmill john
Forum User
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:49 pm

It is one placed I want to visit. I've read about it, heard about it, seen programs about it. Not quite sure why I want to go, just feel I want/need to.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Ari, my 500 Classic
Bumble, my 700 Transalp.
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:33 pm

I think it should be on the school curriculum to visit such places.
Living the dream :sunny:

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:48 pm

You should have done the Birkenau section too, Gogs. That is the main extermination camp and utterly different to Auschwitz 1 which, as an old army barracks, looks civilised by comparison. Auschwitz 1 is small but Birkenhau must cover a good square kiliometre and you are made aware that you are walking on tons of cremated remains. It's called the largest cemetery in the world.
I'm sure it would have been interesting, and maybe I should have seen Birkenau first. After the horror of Auschwitz I just couldn't take any more. The memory of the piles of little children's shoes, clothes and hair left me shocked. I know men can do bad things to other men, but I thought humans were hard-wired to care for children. Obviously not. :pale: :cry:
Club member #480
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

mw3230
Forum User

Postby mw3230 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:29 pm

And yet despite the lessons learned offered by visiting and preserving such places, similar (albeit smaller scale) horrors are repeated regularly throughout the world - Africa, Asia and the Middle East AND europe have all seen atrocities which are just as abhorrent. The rest of the world, us include, do little more than wring our hands. I despair
Formerly 2013 K1600GTSE, now 2017 GSA

Bill Smithson
Forum User

Postby Bill Smithson » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:32 pm

I don't think I could ever visit any of the death camps.
As a youngster I watched the Pathe News films of the liberation of Belsen in the local cinema.
I've never forgotten the horror of seeing the skeletal figures of the dead and dying when we thought we had it hard with food rationing. :sad:

Sofa
Forum User
Country of Residence: U.K.

Postby Sofa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:31 pm

The reason Hitler thought he could get away with it was the Turks did in 1915. One million Armenians killed and still to this day Turkey denies it and silences any of its citizens who try to write about it.
2003 K1200GT Hedingham HUB Sidecar. RSP Top Yoke, RT bars, ABS/Servo removed, Klicktronic. EZS subframe, trail reducing kit and rear wheel. Wheelchair rack. Previous BMWs R80RT mono, R1100GS, R80RT (added a sidecar), R100RT sidecar, K75, K100 sidecar x2, K1100 sidecar, R1150R.

boxerman
Site Admin/Club Member

Postby boxerman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Here's a load more pics from Auschwitz. About 7 minutes on U-Tube.
https://youtu.be/xMY4wnlskXk

George Duckett
Forum User

Postby George Duckett » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:02 am

I was stationed at Hohne barracks nr Belson doing National Service 1956/1957 and walked down to where the camp was. The sight of the huge burial mounds and some graves with the names on was thought provoking enough for me and not to go again. The buildings had been burnt to the ground more or less straight away. Like Bill said all of the dead and dying must have been terrible for the ones who liberated the camp.
1986 R80RT

Patman
Club Member 13

Postby Patman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:24 am

Should We Heed Those Ominous Signs? - Pat Mansfield recounts his travels to Eastern Europe during July 2006. Read about his trails and tribulations below……

When my 23-year-old daughter (Alison’s), who works in London, heard what my plans were she tentatively asked if she could tag along. I told her that there would be a lot of “sitting on the bike” with plenty of rest stops along the way but I still wasn’t sure if she would enjoy the experience (none of my children were pillions before). However, she convinced me that she was up to the task but could only go for nine days. So I booked the ferries to Holyhead and Calais (usually I go direct from Rosslare to Cherbourg) with a flight for her from Katowice to London. Normally I don’t book or plan a trip in any great detail but now I had to devise some sort of schedule to incorporate the first nine days. This consisted of travelling across Germany to Prague and Poland with hotels booked in Aachen, Erfurt and Dresden while Poland and the other four to five weeks could continue “unplanned” as usual. The Czech and Polish hotels would be sought out on arrival. Alison’s let a ride for Sun… for I real out to Budapest, to Passau to Aachen to Calais AND Dover to Holyhead.

Calais to
Aachen – 215 miles 215
Erfurt – 275 miles 480 265
Dresden – 128 miles 610 120
Prague – 93 miles 722 102
Wroclaw – 176 miles 903 221
Katowice – 119 miles 1017 114
Kracow – 49 miles
Auschwitz (Oswiecim) 1039
Kracow – 49 miles
Katowice – 49 miles
Zvolen - 153 miles

Postscript -
Eleven countries and 3,600 miles in 18 days is less than I originally intended but, despite the mishaps, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Would I do it again? No and yes! No, I wouldn’t travel so far – alone; shorter trips alone to France and Germany might be acceptable but longer trips should, in my view, only be undertaken in the company of others for support.

Upon returning early, I was cajoled into taking the E-zine editor’s position – I knew I should have stayed away longer!

What’s the difference between an Irish and an English breakfast? As far as I can gather, you lot have beans with yours.
Pat
1992 K100LT
e-Zine Editor - editor@bmridersclub.com
Member No. 69 (don't ask!!!)
Irish Section webmaster - http://www.bmw-club.org.uk/~irish/
Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Pat
sounds like it was a good trip (for you) but I dont fancy riding every day and as you say it needs good company

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:18 pm

I was going to visit Belsen in 2010 as we were staying near Cella. But the bike battery packed up so spent all day looking for a new one. Will be planning a trip back in a few years and hoping to go then.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream sold
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:33 pm

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:57 am

Wow - that made me cry ......
Club member #480

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”